Occasional Trouble Shifting - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Occasional Trouble Shifting

I have a 2008 V6 with 120k miles on it. Not long ago, within the past month, I started noticing how it takes significant amount of effort to shift, even from first gear through fifth. Since then, getting into first sometimes was a big hassle, especially at lights. It seems like after 20 or so minutes of driving, its get easier to shift, but until then I have to let off the gas and let the gear "fall" into place. I've seen the posts about pulling up on the clutch pedal and shifting into 3rd or 4th before shifting into 1st, but that doesn't seem to do much. Reverse grinds 9 out of 10 times.

Is this common at this age/mileage of Mustangs? I've read up on using additives like the Lucas Transmission Fix, but is it worth it and/or difficult to do? Should I just fork over the money instead and get the clutch system replaced?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014
PONY Member
Classic Member

I have fewer miles than you, but shifting into first can be a problem at lights, even after it's warm. I can get the shifter into position fine, but it seems to hesitate when I accelerate, especially if it's a quick light change. When did you last change the fluid?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
I have fewer miles than you, but shifting into first can be a problem at lights, even after it's warm. I can get the shifter into position fine, but it seems to hesitate when I accelerate, especially if it's a quick light change. When did you last change the fluid?
I haven't. I see some people saying I need to and some saying I never need too. More confused with the answers I'm getting.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I wonder if the clutch is not fully disengaging when depressed? Shot in the dark here, maybe issues with master or slave cylinder requiring the replacement of one of them..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014
PONY Member

This is a clutch issue. The clutch is not releasing completely. You may have air in the system or the pressure plate or throw out bearing may be going bad. Changing the oil in the transmission, although it wouldn't hurt, isn't going to fix it.

2002 Mustang 3.8L 5 speed 3.27 Trac Lock
2007 Mustang 4.0L 5 speed 3.31 Trac Lock -SOLD
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014
Rookie

I'm not saying that big gear head is wrong, but I just changed my fluid last week and it made a tremendous difference. I would recommend it. I used a synthetic and it's great.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by acjohnson83 View Post
I'm not saying that big gear head is wrong, but I just changed my fluid last week and it made a tremendous difference. I would recommend it. I used a synthetic and it's great.
I'm guessin yours was going through the same? I don't ever smell the clutch or have any over-revving issues, but at the same time, this is the first time this has ever happened to me.

I appreciate everyone's input. I don't want to, but I will probably end up takin it in to the shop and letting them figure it out. I'm good with tools, but when I don't know what to look for or fix, makes that savvy go right out the window.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014
PONY Member

Changing your oil should be easy. Give it a try before taking it to someone who might do a bunch of work that you don't really need. If the oil doesn't fix it then try bleeding the hydraulics and see if it gets better. Your clutch may be fine, but there might be air in the hydraulics which would cause the clutch to not release completely. If it still doesn't work then consider taking it to someone.

The clutch system gets fluid from the brake master cylinder. Check to see if it is full of fluid.

2002 Mustang 3.8L 5 speed 3.27 Trac Lock
2007 Mustang 4.0L 5 speed 3.31 Trac Lock -SOLD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
Changing your oil should be easy. Give it a try before taking it to someone who might do a bunch of work that you don't really need. If the oil doesn't fix it then try bleeding the hydraulics and see if it gets better. Your clutch may be fine, but there might be air in the hydraulics which would cause the clutch to not release completely. If it still doesn't work then consider taking it to someone.

The clutch system gets fluid from the brake master cylinder. Check to see if it is full of fluid.
Agreed. I would definitely recommend changing your fluid before taking it to the shop. And yes, I was having similar issues as you. It's easy to do and I only spent $30 to do it myself. It made my tranny feel smooth as butter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clutch , grinding noise , shifting issues , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page