What kind of transmission fliud do you use? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

What kind of transmission fliud do you use?

It's time to change the transmission fluid on my 07 GT 5 speed.. What kind of fluid do you use? Is it 3 or 4 quarts? Thanks

I WISH I COULD GET RID OF THE KNOCKING NOISE IN MY FRONT END. I'M TIRED OF SPENDING MONEY ON IT... IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014
Rookie

Our transmissions call for 3.2 quarts. The fluid has to be mercon 5 specs. I used valvoline max life synthetic. Just changed mine last week. Definite improvement. Getting the fluid back in the transmission is the fun part.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014
PONY Member
Classic Member

The GT has the T-3650 rather than the T-5 I have in the 6 cylinder. Check the owner's manual for capacity and specs. There are those that swear by Amsoil, but I've heard from a guy I trust with transmissions that it results in premature wear. I have a 3650 in my '68 and, from the research I've done, one of the best is GM Synchromesh. It is a bit pricey, however.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014
Rookie

True, I contacted tremec and they told me what fluid was good to use.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014
PONY Member
Classic Member

The hard part is, as acjohnson83 says, getting the fluid back in. The ground clearance makes it difficult to get underneath. I'm fortunate to have an inclined driveway. I back it in then pull forwards onto car ramps under the front wheels to get it level. It's best to have a helper. A 3/8" socket wrench fits the square plugs but you may need a small extension. Pull the upper and lower plug on the passengers side to drain it. Then replace the lower plug and, using a hand pump, have your helper put one tube in the quart container while you pump through the other tube into the upper hole. Stop when it starts to run out the upper hole and let it drip until it stops. Then replace the upper plug. If you don't have ramps, an incline or a manual pump, have your mechanic do it on a lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page