coolant leak - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

coolant leak

Hi you guys I am not only new at the forum but also a complete rookie about mechanics altogether. You will notice that by my ignorance and my language. I have a question My daughter has a 2007 4.0 6V Mustang. Since she moved to New York 3 years ago the car has been parked and used only a few times a months some times it has been months before we even turn it on. All of the sudden in one of those time that we used it the car overheated and was full of coolant. The following morning when it was completely cool I wanted to investigate what happened so I filled up the container with coolant and noticed that there is a huge water leak that starts somewhere that I cannot see very well but it looks it under the T-stat housing. If you keep on putting more coolant then there is another leak on the upper part of the housing. So I came to the forum started researching and I learned that it not uncommon to see this. So I took the complete housing out and after checking it I do not see any damage at all in the housing. But since the car is old and the housing is out I decided to buy a new one with a new T-stat. now I have not installed the new one but I am wondering if the water pump is damaged as well. How can I know if the pump is also damaged? just by trial and error meaning I install the new parts and test for more water leaks? or since I am already there should I change the pump as well? Thank you so much for any help that you guys can give me.

Best regards

Alfonso

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Since she doesn't drive all that much chances are the water pump was not damaged. Flush the system with a cleaner and fresh water then refill with 50-50 water and antifreeze.

If she lives in NYC I suggest selling the car before the first winter gets it loaded up with road salt. For the cost of parking, maintenance, repairs and insurance she can rent a car when she needs it. That, plus the salt will destroy the car in 2 or three years anyway.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014
PONY Member

I replaced he thermostat housing on my '07 before it cracked. I didn't want to deal with it on the side of the road somewhere. I put the aluminum housing on mine because I plan to keep the car for several more years.

Your water pump should be fine.

2002 Mustang 3.8L 5 speed 3.27 Trac Lock
2007 Mustang 4.0L 5 speed 3.31 Trac Lock -SOLD

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you guys. One more thing I have read in this forum that the aluminum ones are very bad what is your experience with that one?

Thank you again
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014
PONY Member

All that I have ever seen is how great they are. I had a few small issues with the fit on mine, but it was easily fixed. I contacted the guy who is making them and told him about it and he said that he would fix the issues in all future parts.

2002 Mustang 3.8L 5 speed 3.27 Trac Lock
2007 Mustang 4.0L 5 speed 3.31 Trac Lock -SOLD
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

my Simmons Autosportz aluminum housing fit perfect and I have had no issues.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014
PONY Member

My experience with the aluminum housing has also been excellent. My plastic one was leaking from the day I bought the car. So that was the first thing I bought, as soon as I heard that it is a common problem. Since putting the aluminum housing on I haven't lost a drop of coolant. And it's been just over a year.

2005 V6 Convertible
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014
Rookie

I have the aluminum housing also, it is worth every penny I paid for it, no issues with installation or leakage.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014
Rookie

Hello, I have a 4.6L 94 GT that has just started leaking arround the thermostat housing and before pulling everything apart was wondering if some one can tell me what to do. The leak is on the passanger side opposite the thermostat but looks ominous with the bolts under the housing. I am thinking the first thing would be to take off the alternator and start from there but hope some one can give me some good instrustions.

Thanks

Wendell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page