Changing Oil interval with high miles - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Changing Oil interval with high miles

I know the question of changing oil frequency gets many opinions. I have pretty much been changing at 3-4k on all my vehicles. The mustang is now 100k miles and I am starting to wonder if I could get away with actually extend the interval to maybe 5k or more. The reasoning is that I already have 10 yrs /10k out of the car and probably will only drive it a couple more years.. Are you guys with over 100k miles still changing oil every 3k?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014
PONY Member

My mustang has 120,000 on it now and I religiously change the oil every 3,000 miles. It's really not necessary to strictly cahange it every 3,000 it's just something I prefer to do.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014
PONY Member

Garage
I have 185,000 on mines, and try to change oil at 3,500 intervals. However, I sometimes go to 5,000 miles. You should be okay at 5,000 miles.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I have had good results with using a full synthetic or synthetic blend and changing every 5K. I do it on the even 5K (+or - a couple of hundred) on the odometer so I always know when oil change is coming up.

I had discussions with oil company guys, and they say the current oils are so good and newer engines run pretty clean so 5K is not pushing the limits at all. Do the math and see how much $$ you will save over the life of your car.

I bought a '96 Saturn new and put 215K on it. Still ran good and burned no oil when I sold it. if I had changed the oil at 3K, it would have been 67 oil changes. 5K was 40 changes. At 25 bucks a pop, I saved $675.00 Almost all my driving is city in the blazing Arizona heat.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

ponyboy - what about using regular castrol gtx at 5k intervals? I never thought using synthetic was worth it since i was changing every 3k. Now I want to try 5k or higher intervals purely because of the age of the car and maybe slight savings do to not changing so much on a car I won't be driving as much in the future. I might be able to go from 3 changes a year to 2 changes a year.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclight01 View Post
ponyboy - what about using regular castrol gtx at 5k intervals? I never thought using synthetic was worth it since i was changing every 3k. Now I want to try 5k or higher intervals purely because of the age of the car and maybe slight savings do to not changing so much on a car I won't be driving as much in the future. I might be able to go from 3 changes a year to 2 changes a year.
Probably any name brand oil is fine. I just buy Valvoline Full Synthetic at WalMart in the 5 quart jug. They have Motocraft filters too.

I was using the Valvoline Syn Blend but WalMart quit stocking it.

I would use the Motocraft Syn Blend but WalMart only stocks quarts, and I can get the Valvoline Full Syn for the same price.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014
Apprentice

Ive always changed my oil at 5000 and had little probelsm but you never know really.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Oil change intervals are based on block composition, head composition, oil filter quality, how often you drive your car, how many miles you drive your car, and how hard you drive your car.

The biggest problem in today's world is that people change their oil prematurely. If you really want to determine the correct oil change intervals, you can withdraw a sample size of oil and have it professionally analyzed to see the oil life remaining.

Changing full synthetic oil at 3500 mile intervals is stupid unless you rarely drive the car or drive the car extremely hard. Oil does have a shelf life, so don't expect to drive 1000 miles a year and change it every three years!

4.5L Stroker Kit, SSM Custom cams, Wiseco forged pistons, ARP 2000 head studs, Mac Long Tube Headers, FRPP Oil Cooling System, 4.10 Gears, K&N Performance Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, 39lb Ford Racing Fuel Injectors, MAC Performance Pro Chamber, 2.25" dual straight pipes, 4" chrome tips, DynoMax Super Turbo Mufflers, 4" Aluminum Driveshaft, Eleanor Hood, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Koni Sport suspension, AppRadio 4 with PC, spunkymunkymusic.com
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08V6_Ponyboy View Post
I have had good results with using a full synthetic or synthetic blend and changing every 5K. I do it on the even 5K (+or - a couple of hundred) on the odometer so I always know when oil change is coming up.

I had discussions with oil company guys, and they say the current oils are so good and newer engines run pretty clean so 5K is not pushing the limits at all. Do the math and see how much $$ you will save over the life of your car.

I bought a '96 Saturn new and put 215K on it. Still ran good and burned no oil when I sold it. if I had changed the oil at 3K, it would have been 67 oil changes. 5K was 40 changes. At 25 bucks a pop, I saved $675.00 Almost all my driving is city in the blazing Arizona heat.
^ this. I've been changing with semi-syn every 5k miles, unless you have a turbo or SC and drive it hard, every 5k is fine..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page