Maybe I won't buy a 2006... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Maybe I won't buy a 2006...

After seeing this graph, maybe I'll hold off on buying the '06. It might also explain the asking price...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MustangComplaintsByYear.png
Views:	172
Size:	745.1 KB
ID:	387633  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014
PONY Member
Classic Member

The '05 to '07's had their share of problems. No doubt about it. Having said that, I have no regrets about buying my '06. I have close to 100,000 miles on it and the transmission has been rock solid. I do have some very small spots of blistering paint on the hood, so small and barely visible that I haven't seen fit to deal with them. The problem with battery draining is one I haven't had. However, those that have complained about it usually trace it back to a problem with the Shaker 500 continuing to cycle CD's. I replaced the original battery last year.

You should obviously feel comfortable with what you buy, but as for me, I'd buy another '05-'07. I think the lines are truer to the original styling. Just my opinion.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

In every model year there will be a issue with something but not all vehicles are going to have issues. I have a 2006 gt and could not be happier with it and have had zero issues. If you are going to go with the thought you won't buy until you find a year that is guaranteed to be trouble free you will never own one.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014
Rookie

Every year has their problems, just be careful and check the car over when you are testing driving it. Make sure the car has a maintenance record and that the transmission doesn't slam into the gears if your looking for an automatic
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014
PONY Member

Had very few issues with my 2006 - and I wasn't easy on it. Two seasons on a 75 shot of nitrous, then at 90,000 miles pulled the nitrous and put the Xcharger on it. When I sold the car it had 203,000 miles on it and was still running mid 12's at the track.

From April 2006 to June 2012 I had to replace a head gasket, at 199,881 miles the thermostat housing went, at 152,000 miles the alternator went out. Other than that, normal maintenance.

2013 MCA Convertible, automatic - Revelare Designs cowl hood, Hellion single turbo.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

No paint issues on my '06...also sitting on 140k+ miles

'05 Blk Prem V6 Roush Styled, X-Charged, & Highly Modified Sold
'06 Torch Red Prem GT

Show: SGT Grille, SGT Lower Fogs, GT500 Chin Spoiler & Trunk Spoiler, GT Hood Scoop/Side Scoops, Powered By Ford Fender Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Sequential TL, '13 Painted Mirrors, '10 Style GT500 Rims.
Suspension: GT500 Strut Mounts, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, SR 1.5" Springs, SR Rear LCAs, J&M Adjust PHB.
Exhaust: SLP LoudMouth1s.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah, I'm probably over reacting to the spike in the graph that year. There actually weren't that many reports so it's more likely a result of a low volume polling sample that a indication of a poor design year. Still shopping around though, and I came across on '05 in nicer condition. Not my first colour choice, but nice enough. Needs some work but don't they all? Anyway, thanks for input.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014
PONY Member
Classic Member

Anytime you read a review, you need to keep in the back of your mind that people are far more likely to respond if they have had a problem than if they haven't. It tends to skew the results even if those complaining are in the minority.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014
Apprentice

Every year of every kind of car will have some kind of quirk. And sometimes random stuff will just happen no matter what year the car is. Just know what to look for and what questions to ask going in.

2014 V6 Manual
PONY Member

My 05 V6 has 120k on the clock and runs better then ever. Never had a single issue whatsoever with it knock on wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page