Engine Fire Won't Start - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Ok, so I'm going to suspect a PCM issue here, but I want to be certain before you replace it.

I would highly recommend picking up a ELM327 USB capable device (if you have a laptop). Then we can use a Ford specific application to do more diagnostics and log pids.

Is picking up a adapter http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-425801-OBDLink-USB-Diagnostic/dp/B005ZWM0R4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1419352486&sr=8-3&keywords=elm327+usb an option?

Then we could do a remote session to diagnose further.

-Matt

I'm not a "tuner", I am a ecu software engineer. Its different.

2011 GT500 = It gets me from A to B

If you want good technical help. Put your Year, trim, engine, and PCM code in your post! Its easier that way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hi Matt,

That was my fear also.

Is this unit better than the reader I have now. I have a laptop so that is not an issue. Today is the last day for me to return the reader I have so a quick turnaround would be helpful.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddysMustang View Post
Hi Matt,

That was my fear also.

Is this unit better than the reader I have now. I have a laptop so that is not an issue. Today is the last day for me to return the reader I have so a quick turnaround would be helpful.
Yes! For ford vehicles it is much much better!

-Matt

If you want good technical help. Put your Year, trim, engine, and PCM code in your post! Its easier that way

post #19 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

OK Matt,

I just returned the CenTech Meter and ordered the one from Amazon. It usually takes from 4 days to about a week for delivery so I guess the troubleshooting will be put on hold for a while. If you have anything else you want me to try until then just ask. I will post a reply to this thread when I have taken delivery and the system is up and running on my laptop.

Thanks again

Merry Christmas

post #20 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Matt,

Just as a follow-up I ordered the following tool from Amazon: ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth. There was another one offered for more money that had other Ford related options but I wasn't sure if I needed it and the one I ordered seemed to have all of the same options as the one you recommended but it had the addition of Bluetooth.

ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddysMustang View Post
Matt,

Just as a follow-up I ordered the following tool from Amazon: ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth. There was another one offered for more money that had other Ford related options but I wasn't sure if I needed it and the one I ordered seemed to have all of the same options as the one you recommended but it had the addition of Bluetooth.

ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth

You must use the USB version.. the application we are going to use that is specific to Ford is for PC and USB only.

Let me know when you get it in! The included application is powerful, but is for all makes and models, I will get you connected up with something specific to Ford.

-Matt

post #22 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Matt,

I don't understand. The less expensive reader you sent me the link for had the same options as this one but this one had Android and PC connectivity. I don't understand the difference between connecting the laptop to the OBD Port via a USB connection on the laptop or via a wireless bluetooth connection. This is just a data transfer via a cable or wireless. What am I missing?
post #23 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Unless the application you want to use will not support the Bluetooth wireless function. If this is the issue I need to cancel my order asap.
Apprentice

Does your laptop support bluetooth?

post #25 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Smile

Hi Matt,

I canceled the order last night out of fear that the Bluetooth Scanner would not help our troubleshooting efforts. Nothing currently on order.

My laptop does not have Bluetooth. However, when I placed the order for the scanner, I also ordered a Kinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth 4.0 adapter that would give my laptop that capability.

The only reason I went with the ScanTool 427201 was that it gave me flexibility for future use. My son has the same Mustang as me and he also has an Android Cell Phone like I do. The 427201 allows wireless operation while driving your car which I thought was pretty cool and my son and I could have some fun with it in the future. (as a side note: ScanTool also has a scanner with a wi-fi connection to a laptop but the reviews on Amazon were not great)

The only other option was the ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth. This unit supported all 5 OBD-II protocols, plus SW-CAN (GM) and MS-CAN (Ford). I wasn't sure if the additional Ford protocol was needed since it was not specified in the unit you first recommended. The 426101 was also much more expensive than the other options.

Is there a difference in the operation of the Ford Software you want to use between the different communication connections between the OBD Port and the laptop? If not then I prefer to use a wireless connection because I will get more use out of it in the future.

Let me know so I can place an order.
Sorry for the confusion.

Buddy
post #26 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hey Matt,

I hope you and everyone on this forum had a great Christmas. I just found out that I will become a grandfather this year which is pretty amazing.

I just received my ScanTool Code Reader and installed the software on my laptop. I went with the OBDLink MX Bluetooth that supports the following Ford & GM Proprietary Protocols: SW CAN & MS CAN. This was the most capable device in this family of ScanTool Devices so I hope it will help us get through the troubleshooting process with my Mustang.

I also did some research about replacement PCM Modules and found a company on EBAY that sells them pre-programed to your cars VIN number so they are plug-and-play replacements. The cost of a replacement for my car is $165.00 and has a lifetime warranty.

I will connect to my car's OBD port tomorrow and run a quick test to ensure proper operation. BTW, this device supports data logging and third party software.

Let me know where we go from here with the troubleshooting. If we isolate the issue to the PCM I will order the replacement.

Thanks
Buddy
post #27 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hey Matt,

I connected to the OBD Port on my car and the software works great. I ran as many diagnostic tests as were available and saved the results on my laptop. There were about 40 different tests that could be ran using the data logger options but I wasn't sure which ones you wanted to look at. Let me know where we go from here. BTW, the same Fuel Rail Pressure High code was still the only failure code that is displayed.

Thanks
Apprentice

Hey Buddy,

Excellent! Lets setup a time where we can do some remote diagnostics via TeamViewer. Shoot me a PM of the best way to contact you and when we can set up a time.

Cheers,
-Matt

Apprentice

Just an update to people who are watching this thread.

We ran some diagnostics on Buddy's mustang. KOEO showed multiple circuit failures without any PCM issues.

Since the car previously had a fire, I suspect harness issues. Buddy is going to pull off the engine harness to inspect further.

-Matt

post #30 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks Matt,

To update everyone watching I finally was able to take advantage of one of the few nice days we have had in NJ and I began removing the engine wiring harness. I should warn anybody that wants to tackle a job like this, it is not for the faint of heart. Wires and plugs everywhere even going through holes in the body panels. I was not able to remove the harness on my first try because it requires removing the front tires and inner fender wells to access some body passages. I will also need to jack the car up to get access to the transmission and the many plugs that attach the harness to it.

Matt: I found a couple of things I thought I should mention. The wire to the alternator was just loosely jiggling on the stud so it looks like someone was messing with it. Also the plug that connects to the air conditioner compressor did not fit. Wrong plug, so either the compressor was changed or the harness was changed. It is really hard to tell which one is the culprit. On the next good weather day I plan on getting the harness out but so far I have not been able to visibly see anything that is wrong with the wiring.

AllFordMustang Forum users: I wanted to commend Matt for his dedication to the pony hobby and his sacrifice of personal time to help others on the forum. He is a true good person. The world needs more people like this. I hope I am worthy...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page