2006 V6 Mustang: Trouble finding short throw shifters - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

2006 V6 Mustang: Trouble finding short throw shifters

i want to install a short throw shifter in my car and want it to remain stock in appearance. i heard good things about the pro 50 but when i got down to it looks to only be available for the gt's. my buddy has an mgw in his cobra and raves about it, same thing not available for my car. that leaves steeda and i would like to order an assembly instead of what appears to be a pile of parts to install and u guessed it only available for the gt as an assembly. am i crazy here or what, somebody please straighten this out for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SatinSilverV6 View Post
i want to install a short throw shifter in my car and want it to remain stock in appearance. i heard good things about the pro 50 but when i got down to it looks to only be available for the gt's. my buddy has an mgw in his cobra and raves about it, same thing not available for my car. that leaves steeda and i would like to order an assembly instead of what appears to be a pile of parts to install and u guessed it only available for the gt as an assembly. am i crazy here or what, somebody please straighten this out for me.
Only one I know of for the V6 is the Hurst short throw (p/n HUR391-0203).

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007
MACH I Member
S197 Member

With the Saleen short shift adapter, you keep the stock shifter but shorten the throw a lot. Like if you took two shift knobs and presed them together. The front one is first gear and the back one is second.That's your throw, with the Saleen adapter.

Maybe you can find one on eBay for less than the $99 Saleen is now asking.

Ridiculous.

I paid $26 for mine, a year ago.

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack View Post
With the Saleen short shift adapter, you keep the stock shifter but shorten the throw a lot. Like if you took two shift knobs and presed them together. The front one is first gear and the back one is second.That's your throw, with the Saleen adapter.

Maybe you can find one on eBay for less than the $99 Saleen is now asking.

Ridiculous.

I paid $26 for mine, a year ago.
Do they offer it for the V6?

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
I believe its the same part for GT and v6. He's right though, the price has skyrocketed recently...

Black 2005 Mustang v6, 5 speed, IUP, EUP and Leather.

Razzi 1/4 window scoops, Mustang GT Sway Bars, Flowmaster American Thunder Single Exhaust, Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses, Demolet CAI, X-cal2 91 tune, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, FRPP T-Lock, Ford 3.73 gears
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
You know, I actually went and checked the Saleen site, which is even more annoying than before, and it made no mention of GT or V6. Just that this adapter was for the s197 Mustang.

I hope their customer service has improved b/c if I had paid $100 for the adapter and had the awful CS they offered, I would have been even more livid.

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
which would be better, the saleen adapter or the Hurst competition/plus short throw shifter? It says that the Hurst shifter gets rid of the shifting noise as well as makes for smoother shifts (I can't stand the stock shifter, or the rocking noise of the tranny)

(HURST Competition/Plus SHORT THROW SHIFTER 05-07 4.0L V6 FORD MUSTANG 156.95)

Edit: The Saleen adapter shortens the throw by ~26% and the Hurst shortens it by ~40%. Can anyone comment on the ease of installation for either?

Last edited by Marshall_B; 05-21-2007 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added stuff
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall_B View Post
Edit: The Saleen adapter shortens the throw by ~26% and the Hurst shortens it by ~40%. Can anyone comment on the ease of installation for either?
I think the Saleen takes about 4 minutes to install, once you have the car up on jackstands.

The Hurst is more of a 25-30 minute job, I understand. You'll be happy with both but I thought Hurst was out of business? Lemme check, real quick... well, Hurst.com is gone for good now. I know they were bought by somebody... I guess they are still manufacturing parts though.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007
PONY Member

B & M owns Hurst now

Xcharger with water/meth injection, JBA headers
JBA duals with an H pipe, Roush springs, Che K member brace with torque limiters, Cervini's quarter window deletes, Canton polished tanks, Moroso fuse and master cyl covers, Cervini's cowl hood, custom GT500 chin spoiler, PJ rear louvers, Black rear spoiler, BSM custom stripes, Hurst shifter, Billet interior trim, custom door welts, Autometer dash pod, AEM wideband, Autometer boost & Fuel pressure gauges.
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

The Hurst is very stiff for a while. It eventually loosens up. It definitely makes for a short shift.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayPony View Post
B & M owns Hurst now
That's right!!! I have been unable to come up with that, on my own.

I would go with the Hurst, for the extra few bones. If only for the additional coolness. It's a great product and I hate Saleen's customer service. Now they are combining what I would call price-gouging for what the short shift adapter actually is and bundling the gouging with terrible customer service. Add that together and you get a bad rating from JetBlack.

Nobody wants that.

Even though I have the Saleen and like it... I recommend the Hurst.

GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I've had my Hurst for over a month and have not had the time to install it... I'll get around to it soon hopefully. I'm excited. I say go with the Hurst.

*1998 Ford Contour SVT* EH 2.5L Duratec v6
Stock as can be, just trying to reverse the damage the previous owner caused.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I just got a Steeda for my '06. It's a v-6 and the guy at the store told me it was for my car. I put it in today, but I'm having trouble with 2nd gear. Did I get the wrong shifter? Everything works fine except 2nd. Am I to understand that hurst is the only one that makes a shifter for the 4.0?
Classic Member
S197 Member

Part # for the V6 is HUR391-0203 and for the V8 HUR391-0201. Make sure you got the correct part.

1965 Mustang Coupe
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

OK, so those are the part #s for the Hurst. Does anybody know anything about the Steeda tri-ax shifters? The part # on the box says 555-7305 or maybe that's a phone # on a TV show. It's the # I got off the box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page