2007 Mustang Jerking and Chugging while re-accelerating - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

2007 Mustang Jerking and Chugging while re-accelerating

While driving at 65/70 mph and slowing down to 50/55 then slowly pressing on the gas to resume speed, the car was jerking and chugging like it wasn't getting any gas. It happened 3 times in a 30 minute period.On the same 30 minute drive back it only did it once

It doesn't do it from a dead stop only faster speeds 45mph+

Its easy to get it to duplicate while going up a hill, but can also be duplicated on flat open highway by getting up to speed and then letting off the gas a little and then pressing on it slowly.

I also noticed this issued like a year ago it would mimic the same jerking when I activated cruise control and going up a hill, but I stopped using cruise and the car was fine up until now, and this time I wasn't using cruise, its starting to do it on a regular basis.

Any Idea's on the fix or what it could be. There is no check engine light on or codes.

Parts replaced withing the year:
Plugs and Wires
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
-Changed Coil Pack Last night, didn't fix the issue
-Cleaned off MAF

Last edited by robbies7756; 12-16-2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Left out information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

2007 Mustang Jerking and Chugging while re-accelerating

Are you running an aftermarket or stock throttle body? I suggest you remove it and clean it thoroughly. They get gunked up after so many miles on the road. If that doesn't solve it, maybe look in to replacing the TPS.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

13 Mustang GT 5.0
92 Mustang LX 5.0
65 Mustang Hardtop 289 C.I.D.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

everything is stock, that hasn't been changed or cleaned..

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I would pull the throttle body and clean it. You'll probably be surprised by how much gunk accumulates in it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

13 Mustang GT 5.0
92 Mustang LX 5.0
65 Mustang Hardtop 289 C.I.D.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015
Rookie

Exclamation same problem

im actually having the same problem as you, Car will jerk and hesitate when accelerating up hills or when cruising and letting off the gas and then pressing it again, also if i try to get on the acceleration it will do the same thing, i have ngk iridium spark plugs, taylor street wires, and screamin demon coil pack. car was fine for 20k miles after installing those then all the sudden started doing this. it just recently threw 3 codes
P0300 - random/multiple missfires
P0303 - missfire cylinder #3
P0304 - missfire cylinder #4
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015
Rookie

Throttle body is always a good place to start on these cars, the PCV line allows an amazing amount of oil and other goodies right in front of thd throttle plate. Many benefits from the JLT PCV filter (note there are knock offs from pretty big brand names, but JLT has the original design.

There is a TSB open for the fuel pump for this something that sounds very similar. When you let off the gas, the older revision fuel pump struggles and/or allows the introduction of air bubbles into the fuel line, which provides a similar reaction to what you described. I'm on vacation and can't locate it that readily, but literally just search for 05-09 mustang fuel pump tsb and you may find it quickly.
NewTo, sounds like you may have something a little more involved than just this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015
Rookie

Pull the plugs again and see if they are fouling. I had this problem myself when I had some mileage on mine. I would have to ckean (on mine just one) it every so often.

Clean the throttle body as suggested also.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015
Apprentice
S197 Member

There was a TSB years ago on the 05+ running rough after a long cruise where the fuel pump required replacement. It would manifest when you slowed down and then went to accelerate.

Saleen VI Stage 3 Brenspeed 530 hp, Comp Cams VSR 127300, 410 gears, Trufiber 3" Cowl Hood

Last edited by lenko; 02-04-2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: add info
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015
Rookie
V6 Member

I recently had the same symptoms -- jerking when going uphill or accelerating with little pressure on the gas pedal. If I floored it, it was fine.

A new coil pack was the answer. It's fine now.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to nuke Send a message via Yahoo to nuke
If the COPS don't resolve it, check the TSB for the fuel pump. During steady cruising, air bubbles build up inside the pump and any acceleration with the bubbles still in the pump cause jerking and hesitation. My wife's '06 had it when we bought it used but with warranty remaining. A trip to a Ford dealership with the TSB and they replaced the pump. Problem solved.

Rick
07 GT Prem (mine): Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI/Xcal2 w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars

06 V6 (g/f's): Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars, Mag Blackout, Clear front turnsignals w/chrome-amber bulbs
Rookie

I've had problem like yours but on dif car where a plug was not firing good (when under stress as in higher gear/less rpm) and it made the plug wire get a carbon track inside the boot by the time I got to it. So that even when I changed the plug it would still fire along the carbon track to ground on engine. I would suggest noting the cylinders that the computer tells you is miss firing and change plugs and look for carbon track inside those boots with a flashlight. I can tell you you have to do them at the same time or the boot will mess up the new plug and vice versa. I will never forget that lesson so thought I'd pass it on. If on budget you can drill inside the boot a little to remove the carbon track as they are just on the surface. Good luck to you.
Rookie

I had the same problem with my grand am gt (2000)I had the throttle body cleaned out, had 2 technicians at different times take the car for test drives with their laptops plugged in, had the fuel pump changed ( for another reason)... it just crapped out, but nothing fixed the problem. I discussed this with a transmission guy and he says it sounds like the sensor is not reading OD properly . The sensor is about $70 but it wil cost several hundred $$ to drop the tranny to replace it. I had this problem for several years... Sold the car with the problem who didn't car because he lives in a small rural area with no hills. It sucks and is annoying and takes away from having a cool ride. Hopefully my 2013 mustang won't develop the same problem
Rookie

Sometimes the transmission doesn't shift out of overdrive properly. try taking it out overdrive or down shifting.
Rookie

On my daughters 2000, same symptoms, it was the coil pack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chugging , jerking , misfire , missing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page