05 V6: Dead pedal pain - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

05 V6: Dead pedal pain

Well, I got the steeda dead pedal the other day. Didn't realize I'd have to drill 4 holes in the bracket to attach the pedal (pretty thick piece of metal). Unfortunatley, I don't have a very good drill, so it took me like 45 minutes to drill the holes just to realize I didn't use a big enough drill bit. So now I gotta go buy an additional drill bit. Would it hurt them that much just to have the pedal already attached so I could just slap the thing on? Not that big of a deal I guess, but I could have already had it on if not for that hassle. At least they could have drilled the holes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007
PONY Member

Zenflow -- in addition to having to drill the holes, I found that I had to remove and cut into the stock styrofoam "dead pedal" to get the Steeda and carpeting to fit. My instructions didn't say anything about that. It is much more comfortable driving now though, the stock set up kept my left foot at a weird angle and with a 60 mile one way commute each day I always came home with a swollen ankle (have to tell my doctor I figured out the problem finally and it wasn't a medical thing!)

2013 MCA Convertible, automatic - Revelare Designs cowl hood, Hellion single turbo.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

great

That's great, more work to look forward to. Anyway, since you have already done this mod do you remember what size drill bit you used for the holes? I used the biggest one I had and its still too small for the screws. Thanks.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

just a suggestion,,,take the screws with you when you by your next bit
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

Drill bit

Yeah, wish I had a micrometer to measure the focker. It's probably about time I invested in a new set of bits anyway. I'll just grab a bit kit.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007
PONY Member

I don't remember what size bit I used, I did that back in January - and it was a tricky thing to do (not a lot to hold onto while drilling in to the backer plate).

2013 MCA Convertible, automatic - Revelare Designs cowl hood, Hellion single turbo.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenflow View Post
Well, I got the steeda dead pedal the other day. Didn't realize I'd have to drill 4 holes in the bracket to attach the pedal (pretty thick piece of metal). Unfortunatley, I don't have a very good drill, so it took me like 45 minutes to drill the holes just to realize I didn't use a big enough drill bit. So now I gotta go buy an additional drill bit. Would it hurt them that much just to have the pedal already attached so I could just slap the thing on? Not that big of a deal I guess, but I could have already had it on if not for that hassle. At least they could have drilled the holes.
Hi, So the dead pedal attaches to this bracket that needed to be drilled. I just wonder why the holes were not already there.
Anyway, what does the bracket attach to in the car? Is drilling needed in the car also or does it use some pre-existing setup in the car?

To few to mention, actually to lazy to
01 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Silver (His Daily)
05 Mustang V6 Coupe, 5 sp - Redfire (Her Toy)
06 Pontiac Solstice Vert 5 sp - White His Roadster
07 Mustang GT Vert, 5 sp - Redfire His Toy
09 Hyundai Santa Fe - White Metallic (Her Daily)
11 Chevy Silverado 5.3L ExtCab-Light Gray (His)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007
PONY Member

There is an existing bolt that you mount the bracket to. You have to pull up the sill, then the side cover under the dash, pull the carpet back and the bolt is right there.

I found though that I had to pull out and cut into the stock styrofoam -- I couldn't get it to fit in place nor could I get the carpet back in place until I trimmed the styrofoam back. It looks good, but more importantly it really does make the drive more comfortable.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

Installed

Yup, just installed it yesterday. Needed a 5/32 bit for the screw holes on the bracket. It was a pain working down there, but since I already have pedal covers on this should be the last time I have to get down there. I didn't have to cut the styrofoam, just the carpet. I fed that black cable, running near the bottom, on top of that smaller part of the dead pedal bracket and it fit right down in the groove. had to yank one of those cable fasteners out so I could have some room to get my wrench. I layed the carpet on top of the pedal and then cut along the top of the pedal and the bottom. Then I cut almost in the middle of the pedal itself (more toward the left) discarded the lefover piece and then just slipped the resulting flap underneath the dead pedal. Now that I think about it, if I had it to do over again I would just cut a vertical slit in the carpet and then push the pedal up through the slit. That way, no carpet would actaully be removed. You can barely tell how I have it now though. There is just a very small section of carpet missing on the left side of the pedal. Can't even see it unless you hunch down there anyway though. Deffinatley feels much better now though. I feel more locked in the cockpit so to speak. Now I can transfer more of the weight to my left foot when turning. A great mod, but honestly this one has given me the biggest headache of any mod I have ever done. Aside from drilling the holes, getting the damn thing attached in that small space along with cutting the carpet and getting everything to look right was a real biatch. I have a bunch of scrapes and cuts on my knuckles from punching the kick panel and sliping my wrench off the bolt. I guess my baby just had blood on it's appetite that day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page