best rear shocks - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

best rear shocks

What is the best rear shocks for a 07 V6?. something that will handle well and a good price

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015
BOSS Member

IMHO...........
1) Koni- Excellent for racing applications- overpriced for street applications
2) Tokico, QA1 & Bilstein- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running very stiff tires on the street (such as Bridgstone or tires with profiles shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra give that you need for both comfort & stability
3) KYB- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running a softer tires on the street (such as BFG or tires with profiles not shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra stiffness that you need for both comfort & stability. The Exel-G’s (formerly GR-2) are the equivalent to the Edelbrock IAS automatic adjusting units. Overall, stiffness between the Gas-a-just and the GR2’s are the same, the difference is the GR-2's valving which stiffens things up from a oem setting to that of the Gas-a-just units.. Best shock for the $/best price typically found at Performance Suspension Technologies (PST) and typically about 1/3 less than Bilstein.
4) Gabriel- A very nice good quality HD OEM replacement type unit.
5) Monroe- avoid that junk!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
IMHO...........
1) Koni- Excellent for racing applications- overpriced for street applications
2) Tokico, QA1 & Bilstein- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running very stiff tires on the street (such as Bridgstone or tires with profiles shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra give that you need for both comfort & stability
3) KYB- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running a softer tires on the street (such as BFG or tires with profiles not shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra stiffness that you need for both comfort & stability. The Exel-Gs (formerly GR-2) are the equivalent to the Edelbrock IAS automatic adjusting units. Overall, stiffness between the Gas-a-just and the GR2s are the same, the difference is the GR-2's valving which stiffens things up from a oem setting to that of the Gas-a-just units.. Best shock for the $/best price typically found at Performance Suspension Technologies (PST) and typically about 1/3 less than Bilstein.
4) Gabriel- A very nice good quality HD OEM replacement type unit.
5) Monroe- avoid that junk!

Im running the factory 17 Pirellis on Bullit rims. So from your post I would say the KYB would be the best?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015
Apprentice

I have the kybs gas adjust on my 09 v6 . Did firm up the ride a bit little you can feel bumps and potholes a little more. It did raise the rear end some wasn't to crazy about that but overall it's a good shock.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I put the Koni Orange shocks on my '08. Seem to work ok, did not feel a huge difference from my stock Ford shocks with 70K on them.
The stockers were still in good shape, no leaks and still had gas pressure.

I do notice when hitting a speed hump, the Konis dampen better, less bounce. The Konis do seem to wallow less stuffing it into a corner.

The weird thing is the Konis squeak or chirp when topping out, but only in warm temps. Now that it is winter they are quiet, it will be interesting to see if they still do it when it warms up. I could only find one other guy who mentioned the chirping in a review, so it might be rare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page