Need info on 7.5 posi carrier - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Need info on 7.5 posi carrier

Guys and Gals

Just picked up a 2007 V6 and I'm looking to drop a posi carrier in it. Didn't take long for me to find out that the OEM unit M-4204-C75 has been discontinued.

I see Auburn has a replacement unit but it comes with a hefty price tag. Anyone out there know of any other options? Maybe someone on this forum selling one of these OEM units?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015
PONY Member

By the time you find one for the 7.5", buy it, pay the cost of installation - even without changing gears - you are probably at the same price as just getting an 8.8 and swapping rear ends. Worst modding decision I ever made was getting the tlok and gears on the 7.5. Even with the LPW girdle all it took was a CAI, tune and set of drag radials to bend the supposedly indestructible Richmond gear pinion. When I picked up the 8.8 it was actually cheaper than what it had cost me to do the 7.5 build.

2013 MCA Convertible, automatic - Revelare Designs cowl hood, Hellion single turbo.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015
PONY Member

I don't like the Auburn at all. In my opinion they are junk.

Check this out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Racing-...074c6e&vxp=mtr
or this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Racing-...53263470&rt=nc

Looks like Yukon finally got their Dura Grip ready. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yukon-Dura-G...28dfb7&vxp=mtr

2002 Mustang 3.8L 5 speed 3.27 Trac Lock
2007 Mustang 4.0L 5 speed 3.31 Trac Lock -SOLD

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the links gear head...

Picked this one up:

Ford Racing Traction Lok Limited Slip Differential 7 5 in 28 Spline M 4204 C75 | eBay

for $303 and free shipping..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015
PONY Member

Cool. Are you doing gears too, or just the differential?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

I don't think so gear.. Just gonna drop in the posi. Where I live daily living requires lots of highway driving. I've been batting the dual exhaust idea around but from what I've been reading there are mixed results as far as improved power and economy. What do you think about duals? Is it worth cutting the bumper cover for or am I better off dropping a performance muffler in?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015
PONY Member

My '07 had a GT cover on it, with a fake pipe on the left side. I made my own dual exhaust with pipes from a GT and modifying the stock Y pipe. It sounds great.

I'll post a link to the installation instructions for the Traction Lock. Will you be doing this yourself?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015
PONY Member

If you cut your bumper for the dual exhaust you can use these to hide it. If your not into chrome you can paint them.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/exhaust-trim-0509.html

I found a GT takeoff exhaust system on Craigslist for $200. X-pipe, over axle pipes, and mufflers. All you need for the exhaust is a mid pipe (X or H), over axle pipes, and mufflers. You could also do a divorced dual exhaust on these cars. The cheapest option for mufflers is a set of GT takeoff mufflers.

BBK CAI, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers,SLP Hi-Flow Cats, Pypes X pipe and Violators, Shaftmaster's 3.5" DS, 4.10's w/ T-Lok, 93 R tune by BAMA, Diablosport Trinity Tuner, PATC 3000 RPM Stall Converter, Zex Nitrous 100 shot
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015
PONY Member

Remove the cover and drain the oil. Remove the retaining bolt that holds the cross shaft in the differential, remove the cross shaft and c clips and remove the axles. Before you remove anything else from inside the housing you must use a dial indicator to check the backlash on the ring gear. If you don't know what the backlash is then you will not know what to set it to when you install the posi. To check the backlash you must wrap something around the yoke and housing to hold the pinion perfectly still. If it moves ANY you will get an inaccurate reading. Set the indicator up so that it measures rotation of the ring gear. What you will be measuring is the space between the ring gear teeth and the pinion teeth. This is the backlash. This should be around .008 to .010 inch if the gears are pretty good. Measure this by rocking the ring gear back and forth against the pinion and read the amount of movement on the dial indicator. Now that you know what the backlash is you can mark the right bearing cap and remove the caps. You must mark the right cap so that you know how they came off and you can put them back exactly the way they were. You only need to mark one, and if you put a punch mark on the left cap it will make it weaker. The left cap carries most of the load. Now pull the differential out of the housing. There is no reason to mark the bearing races and shims because you shouldn't be using them again anyway. Remove the ring gear from the differential and install it on the new differential. Torque the ring gear bolts to 65 foot pounds and use some Lock Tight on the threads. You should have new Timken bearings installed on the posi. Be sure that the bearings are seated completely against the case. You will need a good shim set to get the backlash set correctly. Install the posi with the bearing races and slip about .225 shim into the left side. Be sure that this doesn't jam the ring gear into the pinion. Now start adding shim to the right side until it is tight. When you get the shims tight install the bearing caps and check the backlash. There is no need to torque the cap bolts at this time, just get them snug. Make adjustments to the shims until the backlash is correct. When you have the backlash correct then you should add about .003 to .005 to each side until the shims are very tight and the differential can not be pulled out by hand. Check the backlash again to be sure it didn't change. Now torque the cap bolts to 60 foot pounds and finish assembling the rear end. If you use a 80W90 mineral based oil you will need to use a bottle of Ford limited slip additive in the oil.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

@GearHead ... Thanks much! This will be a big help...

Last edited by jeffhhs76; 02-15-2015 at 06:36 PM. Reason: words
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page