Are the 2005-2009 V6s that bad and underpowered?? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Are the 2005-2009 V6s that bad and underpowered??

hey guys I'm new to this world of mustangs but have done a lot of searching around (prices, performance upgrades, etc.) so I'm not completely clueless. Im 17 years old and i love the way the 2005-2009 mustangs look inside and out (inside especially). I work and am saving up to buy my own (at about 3.5k right now). I can afford a 2005 v6 in my area by the time of july, I can find one for about 6-7k with about 100,000-120,000 miles. My question is, after looking around and stuff, everyone says the 2005-2009 v6s are horrible, weak, waste of money, underpowered, slow, etc. Are they really that bad? It will be my first car and don't really want to wait longer to save up for a gt, and of course a gt will be more expensive insurance wise and just the price of the car.
Bottom line, Will I be disappointed in buying a v6? I'm just looking for a reasonably fast/nice car i can have fun with for a couple years.
I will be going to a dealer soon to test drive one, but just looking for advice. Because at this point its either a 2001-2004 GT or 2005-2009 v6 for me, I'm just in love with the 2005-09s.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015
PONY Member

They are "under powered" if you compare them to the newer models and they are "under powered" compared to g35 models or cars similar of the same era that have 70 more horsepower and 30 more torque. However, if you can afford a few simple bolt one and different gears the car becomes a whole new animal. The car will never have high amounts of horsepower unless you go forced induction, however what you can get is torque with some simple bolt ons and torque will give you that throw back in your seat feel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015
PONY Member

I'll start of by saying a common phrase you will hear: "there's always someone faster than you." That being said, don't worry about having the fastest car around. Truly fast cars cost a lot of money. Especially after paying the insurance and upkeep.

The 4.0 v6 mustang has enough where you can have fun without creating a death trap. At 17, you still have plenty to learn when it comes to driving skill that only really comes with time. I'm no racecar driver either. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk down towards you. Just trying to make my point that people will say it's "slow" and it's not something you should worry about.

I would say go with an 05-09 v6 and you'll still have fun. I certainly have.

You're not going to really win races, but this engine has some good low-end torque where it's still fun to drive around. That's what it's about. The Fast and Furious movies aren't real life. Mustangs are relatively affordable and are easy to find parts if you want to specialize it to your taste.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015
PONY Member
Classic Member

It largely depends on what you are after. If you're looking to spin your wheels or race it, then yeah...you're going to be disappointed. At 17, if you're looking for a car with good looks and ample power that won't make you cry at the gas pump, get a 4.0L with a 5 speed. I'm not one who looks to leave the guy beside me at a redlight in my dust, but I'm quite happy with the acceleration and the gas mileage.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015
PONY Member

Garage
I have a 2006 Pony Convertible. Love the car, but was always looking for more performance. Got a 2011 GT and kept the 2006 as well.

I agree, it really depends on what you are looking for. If you want to go fast and have screaming performance, you won't get without dumping a lot of money in mods into the car. Then you will probably be saying, I should have gotten a GT.

From the standpoint of having a decent car that is fun to drive, yes it is. They are relatively low maintenance, easy to mod, okay on gas, and hey, it's a Mustang!

2011 Race Red GT vert, 5.0 A6
FRPP ProCal, JLT oil separator, Boss 302 quads w/ Corsa Xtreme axle backs, Koni STR.T (orange), GT500 strut mounts, Steeda Sports, Steeda billet LCAs, Steeda adj UCA, Steeda adj rear swaybar, BMR adj panhard, BMR lca relocation brackets, Boss 302 lower front fascia
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015
PONY Member

I love my 2010 V6. It looks great. After some messing around with the exhaust, it sounds great. A couple thousand bucks over the last 5 years and it's pretty quick too.

BBK CAI, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers,SLP Hi-Flow Cats, Pypes X pipe and Violators, Shaftmaster's 3.5" DS, 4.10's w/ T-Lok, 93 R tune by BAMA, Diablosport Trinity Tuner, PATC 3000 RPM Stall Converter, Zex Nitrous 100 shot
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I have the v6, it will never be a GT. But, with an OEM GT muffler and a couple of minor mods, mine is more than fun to drive..
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
My last two tangs were V6's Love them both the '06 I had(RIP) was slightly modded CAI Bamma tune JBA true dual exhaust and Steeda lowering springs

My '09(current) just a CAI going to get a Bamma tune as soon as I sell my old wheels and a few other performance goodies

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have an 06 V6 manual and 12 GT auto. I have as much enjoyment with the V6 as the GT.

Ok, so I'm stretching it a little. The GT is way more fun and impressive. BUT I still have the V6 because I like the body style.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellstang05 View Post
I'll start of by saying a common phrase you will hear: "there's always someone faster than you." That being said, don't worry about having the fastest car around. Truly fast cars cost a lot of money. Especially after paying the insurance and upkeep.

The 4.0 v6 mustang has enough where you can have fun without creating a death trap. At 17, you still have plenty to learn when it comes to driving skill that only really comes with time. I'm no racecar driver either. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk down towards you. Just trying to make my point that people will say it's "slow" and it's not something you should worry about.

I would say go with an 05-09 v6 and you'll still have fun. I certainly have.

You're not going to really win races, but this engine has some good low-end torque where it's still fun to drive around. That's what it's about. The Fast and Furious movies aren't real life. Mustangs are relatively affordable and are easy to find parts if you want to specialize it to your taste.

Great post which sums up my thoughts perfectly

At 17 a 200+ bhp Mustang is a hell of a first car. Get the V6 and learn the ropes before chasing numbers
Rookie

To OP,

You might want to price out insurance first. I have a 16 y.o. and the V6 Mustang is much cheaper on insurance
PONY Member

Take a V6 and a GT for test drives and see for yourself. If you like the power that's there with the V6 - you'll be happy. And yes - there will always be someone that is faster than you.
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
Just remember that you can only go as fast as the car in front of you , or road conditions allow. Unless you intend to race the car(on a legal track of course), the 4.0 will bne a great car for your first ride. My son has an 06 'vert pony Package and he absolutely loves that car.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
Rookie

I'm 17 years old and have an 05 V6. I absolutely love the car. At 17 driving a mustang is extremely expensive on insurance so I would say go with the V6. I pay 118 a month on insurance and have a ton of discounts to even get me to that price. A GT would be much more expensive every month. So that is certainly something to consider. As far as power goes, sure it's not the fastest. It is still pretty fun however. My engine is stock and I when I hit the gas it'll still throw me back in the seat a little bit. If your looking to race people your probably not gonna win too many but you'll still have fun with the v6. And occasionally you'll find the show off in a Honda Civic or Nissan Altima that tries to race and for the most part you would win in a v6 mustang. If you like the body style of 05-09 then I say buy it. No point spending money on an older body style GT when you can get what you want out of the v6. And like other people have mentioned, it's easy and relatively cheap to mod the v6 and turn it into a whole new beast. So there's my 2 cents worth. Hopefully it helps some.
Rookie

I'm in my early 30s and I bought a low miles 2007 Mustang V6 Convertible last year after having faster cars (BMW 335i). I had a 2005 in the past and I missed it (I think 2005-2009 looks best). I'd say, if you are a very experienced driver and want to pass someone fast on the highway, this is not the car for you. But really, it is fast enough in most cases. I love mine.

You being 17, not sure if I'd get the GT if I were you, due to exorbitant insurance prices for your age. V6 would be perfect, fast enough, and cheaper to maintain.

sidrick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page