05 v6 throwing P0108 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

05 v6 throwing P0108

So yesterday while I was driving home from work my car threw the code P0108 which is for the MAP/BP sensor. From research both on here at autozone tell me that my car does not have a MAP/BP sensor so my question is, what exactly do I replace? The computer at autozone says "refer to Mass Airflow Sensor" but some things I have found online say that it is integrated with the EGR valve. I will replace both if I have to but if I can save $100 and only replace one or the other that would be best. Any advice or clarity would be much appreciated. Also I do not know much about cars so "dumbed down" responses would be best.

Extra info: light came on yesterday but upon driving today the car idles and runs at its normal RPMs. Also, I cleared the code and the check engine light went off and remained off for my 45 minute drive to school this morning. It then came back on about 30 minutes into my drive back home with the same p0108 code. There is no obvious wiring issues when looking at the plugs and wires but I do not have access to a voltage meter to confirm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015
PONY Member

Garage
The MAP sensor is integrated into the EGR valve. I don't think you can get just the sensor. The EGR valve assy is around $100 from your local parts store.

If your code came back that quick, then there is almost certainly an issue.

I also don't believe there is a way to clean or fix the old sensor, but someone might have other tips.

2011 Race Red GT vert, 5.0 A6
FRPP ProCal, JLT oil separator, Boss 302 quads w/ Corsa Xtreme axle backs, Koni STR.T (orange), GT500 strut mounts, Steeda Sports, Steeda billet LCAs, Steeda adj UCA, Steeda adj rear swaybar, BMR adj panhard, BMR lca relocation brackets, Boss 302 lower front fascia
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

How urgent is it that I fix the problem? Currently my car is running just like normal with no noticeable issues other than the light. It hasn't idled rough or anything like that.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga_stang2159 View Post
How urgent is it that I fix the problem? Currently my car is running just like normal with no noticeable issues other than the light. It hasn't idled rough or anything like that.
It could lead to rough starting/idle or stalling. You could try tapping on the egr and sensor lightly with a screwdriver handle. LIGHTLY! Sometimes it will help.

If the car runs and you are not failing inspection, you could let it go until you run into a problem I suppose.

FRPP ProCal, JLT oil separator, Boss 302 quads w/ Corsa Xtreme axle backs, Koni STR.T (orange), GT500 strut mounts, Steeda Sports, Steeda billet LCAs, Steeda adj UCA, Steeda adj rear swaybar, BMR adj panhard, BMR lca relocation brackets, Boss 302 lower front fascia
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015
PONY Member

I'm watching this thread with great interest, as I have been getting the same code for about a week and a half now. I'm going to pick up a new EGR valve this week, because like you, all my research points to this as the culprit. I too have not noticed any problems in idle or performance, and so far no noticeable change in gas mileage. I'll let you know what happens when I replace it.

2005 V6 Convertible
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

I purchased a new EGR valve yesterday and plan to install it either today or tomorrow so I will let you know how that goes once it's in there
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

I put the new EGR valve in yesterday. Only took about 30 minutes including the time it took to pull the tools out and put them all back up. I've only done about 45 minutes of driving since the install but the code has yet to come back. One thing I did notice was improved throttle response at take off. Im not sure if that's psychological or if the old EGR valve actually was affecting the way my car ran and I just didn't notice it. Thanks for all the help and for anybody else who comes upon this thread I'll post an update in a week or so once the light has had more time to decide if it's gonna come back on or not.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga_stang2159 View Post
I put the new EGR valve in yesterday. Only took about 30 minutes including the time it took to pull the tools out and put them all back up. I've only done about 45 minutes of driving since the install but the code has yet to come back. One thing I did notice was improved throttle response at take off. Im not sure if that's psychological or if the old EGR valve actually was affecting the way my car ran and I just didn't notice it. Thanks for all the help and for anybody else who comes upon this thread I'll post an update in a week or so once the light has had more time to decide if it's gonna come back on or not.
Good deal. Yeah, you'd be surprised how the little things add up to lost performance. You might want to get some MAF sensor cleaner and do that, it'll help smooth out idle. Also, try cleaning the throttle body, sometimes there is oil and carbon build-up that makes it stick or not open as efficiently.

Glad you're up and running!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015
PONY Member

Installed new EGR Valve yesterday afternoon. I didn't realize how poorly the motor was performing. Like gManTexas said, it's the little things that add up. The car is smoother, more responsive, and just feels better. And no more code P0108. At least not so far.

2005 V6 Convertible
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MirageII View Post
Installed new EGR Valve yesterday afternoon. I didn't realize how poorly the motor was performing. Like gManTexas said, it's the little things that add up. The car is smoother, more responsive, and just feels better. And no more code P0108. At least not so far.
Awesome, glad you are up and running too!

Rookie

P0108 code 2006 mustang

I tried cleaning the MAF Sensor as some one suggested, no help so I want to try replacing the EGR valve. Is the a how to video any where? Do I need any special tools? Thanks for any help!
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills2006stang View Post
I tried cleaning the MAF Sensor as some one suggested, no help so I want to try replacing the EGR valve. Is the a how to video any where? Do I need any special tools? Thanks for any help!
Looks fair simple replacement... no special tools. just a few bolts.... more detail here: Do you know how I can locate the EGR in a 2005 Ford Mustang
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-02-18_234225_05_Mustang_EGR.jpg
Views:	5863
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	491122  
Rookie

egr

Its in the same location as mine in the 06 I just order one on amazon for 71.00 I will give it a go on monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page