stock manifold vs Stainless Works headers - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

stock manifold vs Stainless Works headers

I have a 2009 4.0, with quite a few mods including a custom tune. I'm considering replacing the stock manifolds with some stainless steel headers. Currently with the stock manifold, it seems the engine gets pretty hot quick ( 10 miles of travel at 45-60 MPH ). I'm curious to know if going to the stainless headers will reduce any of that heat or make it worse? Also what can be expected as far as horse power and torque gains, from this mod?

93 Octane Bama Race Tune - C&L Cold Air Intake - Pypes True Dual Exaust - 3.73 gears - Detroit Trutrac Differential - Sequential Tail Lights - 35% Window Tint - Shorty antenna - Deep Dish Black Bullitt Rims w/Nitto 255/45/18 Tires, Raxiom Smoked Tail Lights...
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015
Rookie

Garage
on most engines when you go with heads they do run cooler. but i don't know about the newer 4.0. i know alot of the engines after 2000 have header style manifolds. if your manifolds are more like headers you won't see that big of a differences in the engine temp. as for horsepower and torque gains. that all depends on what kind of headers you get. the best for torque are full length headers.

Had a 1965 Mustang convertible with the "Sprint 200"

looking into a new project. the "4.0 Cammer" Fox
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Generally with shorty or long tubes, there will be a gain regardless.
The key factor to remember is your area's DMV regulations, which some really crack down on long tubes due to they often require the removal of your cats.

For a shorty headers, some ceramic ones should do nicely, if you intend to really push the car on hot summer days, or in general worry about them getting too hot. With most shorty headers though, you're going to notice the slight sound change (louder volume generally) more than the HP gain.

However the shorty headers are a direct replacement of your manifolds, so it's definably a nice advantage over the long tube option.

2006 Aerodynamics Prior Design Racing 4.0 S197
*APDR Conversion (Body & Engine Bay)* -FR Transmission Swap- *Auburrn Gear HP Series LSD* -FR 4.10 Gears- *Cervini Type IV RAS* -Bama X4/SF4- *FR One Piece Driveshaft* -FR Ceramic Headers- *Custom MPC 12C "Hidden" Concept Exhaust* -
Z26 Brake Kit- *Steeda & SR Adjustable Control Arms* -HID CCFL Headlights/Gen 5 LED Tailights- ETC

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015
Apprentice

I watched a Youtube video with a guy that put BBK long tubes on his V6...I thought they sounded like an import, rasp from the depths of hell...I don't know how much power you can squeeze out of a V6 less supercharging it, but that sound, to me, ain't worth it. Haven't heard the shorties on a V6 but I would imagine, if you kept the cats, that the sound wouldn't change too dramatically. Any kind of coating, Jet hot, titanium ceramic, etc. should run a little cooler...

2008 California Special: Boss 302 stroker, KB huffer, driveline, fuel, electronics, suspension, chassis, some outdoor pretty parts, Boss 338's i.e. nothing really left that's stock. Meth injection under construction. Tuned by Chris Tuten at The Muffler Shop.
2012 California Special (DD): Minor modding, just looking for sound, throttle response, and handling from this one, nothing fancy. Tuned by Steeda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page