2006 No Brake Lights - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question 2006 No Brake Lights

I have a 2006 Mustang V6 with no brake lights. The local Firestone could not diagnose the problem. This MAY have started after a severe rainstorm flooded the passenger side floorboard, possibly getting the fuse box wet. I really can't be sure if that's when the problem started or if it was just a coincidence.

Suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015
Rookie

Do any of the brake lights come on? Are your running lights still coming on? Have tested with a multimeter to see if there is just a drop in power and not just a total loss? And the first thing I would check is all of the fuses in both fuse boxes it could also be the momentary switch for the lights if no power is coming out the rear. I'm not to sure because I'm not very familiar with the 3rd gen mustangs, these are just the things I'd first check, hope this helps!

Red 97" 3.8L 5 speed
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015
Rookie

Sorry 5th gen

Red 97" 3.8L 5 speed

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
on any other vehicle I would say its a coincidence. on THIS vehicle (and all s197 cars) its the cause of your problem. you need to remove your SJB and let it dry out. its in the passenger side kick panel (right where all the water came from). unhook both battery cables and cover them so they don't accidently make contact. clean firewall drains while your in the area. then pull trim off pass door sill and then kickpanel. unhook all connectors and check for moisture and corrosion. the sjb is held to the car by 1 10mm bolt. take it out and let it dry. if you feel confident enough, you can open it up to help it dry out. you can pic up a can of electric contact cleaner/dryer or something like that at any parts store. while your letting it dry out, search "cowl clip leak" and "water in cabin filter" and you should get some good reading. fix the problems, put everything back together and check results. good luck.

Lots of bolt on goodies...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015
PONY Member
Classic Member

Listen to bl817. It's not a coincidence. A clogged cowl drain caused water to enter the passengers side and get into the SJB. It's common if you don't diligently check for debris clogging the drain. Once the SJB gets wet, all kinds of electrical problems can result.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015
Rookie

Yeah, check your fuses with a multimeter as well as your ground wires to see if they're clean and secure. I sure hope your smart junction box (SBJ) isn't damaged, those things are expensive to replace.

CAI/ JBA Shorty Headers/ Borla Exhaust System/ Tuned/ ASP Pully Kit/ Aluminum Driveshaft/ Eibach Suspension & H&R Springs
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

I'm sorry about the delayed reply, I've been tied up with a serious illness in the family. Now that I think of it, the windows can't seem to decide if they should be going up or down, and sometimes will do both without my changing the setting from up to down, so this does sound like an electrical issue in a common electrical area. How do I locate and clean the firewall drain, deal with the clogged cowl drain, and check the ground wires? I used to be pretty good with electrical issues, but that was literally decades ago. The most complicated repairs I've done recently is charge freon and swap out an alternator. So, thank you very much for the expert insight.

PS: If the SJB is damaged, what am I looking at as far as cost to put in a new (or remanufactured) SJB? Thank you

Last edited by AARRGGHHH; 06-26-2015 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Added PS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
search is your friend. the firewall drains are between battery and engine on pass side and once you find that, the drivers side is in the same space other side. as far as the cowl clip gaskets, you can either get the updated ones that have heat activated glue or you can seal them with autogoop or rhino glue. there are 10 of them to seal. the sjb can be cleaned up if your good with taking stuff apart. check connections as well. good luck

Lots of bolt on goodies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page