Dual exhaust vs Single exhaust - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Dual exhaust vs Single exhaust

So okay I've familiar with the dual exhaust sticky, but no one seems to really compare dual to single. I've heard from exhaust shops that honestly dual exhaust is a waste on a v6 due to only having 3 cylinders feeding into each pipe rather than all 6 meeting into one. From my own research unless you put some good money into mufflers, they sound really bad. I've seen plenty of videos with v6's running gt mufflers and they have a very bad popping sound.

Has anyone here just stuck with the single exhaust and put a good muffler on? Or has anyone done that, then go dual exhaust that can give me a good idea about it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2016
Apprentice

Sourced an X-pipe, drivers mid-pipe and a pair of GT mufflers for my V6. Fitted the single GT muffler and am very happy with the improvement in sound and (IMO) slight power.

I will likely be selling the rest of the parts with no desire for even more noise nor cutting my bumper.

Old 08-02-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I just feel like the gt mufflers, same for the stock ones too, make too much of a poppy noise when you are revving the engine.

Old 08-02-2016
Apprentice

Can't say I've ever seen that in videos. Certainly not the case with just one fitted. Maybe worth getting a cheap take-off GT muffler and see how you feel? 20 minutes to fit and worst case scenario is you sell it on for as much as you paid.
Old 08-02-2016
Apprentice

I'd get duals instead of just getting a good single muffler
i managed to get 2 borla stingers off ebay for 300
I also put a bama tune on it and the new shift points really enhances your exhaust
Old 08-12-2016
Apprentice

For sound and looks, you can't go wrong with a dual exhaust.
Old 08-13-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Best route, exhaust shop.
Custom H and downpipe for $150.

Then add mufflers.
60 series Flows sound pretty good IMO.

I'm sure you could snag a set for around $150
NCV6stang likes this.
Old 08-17-2016
PONY Member

Garage
never heard of this gt take off popping, i have gt takeoffs and love them, has a slight drone around 68mph till you shift up gears
yellstang05 likes this.
Old 08-18-2016
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

It cost more getting a custom set-up from a shop but worth it. Agree with the above: H-pipe and Flowmasters. They make a good, low sound. No popping.

2005 V6
Mods : Flowmaster 40s Dual Exhaust--H-pipe
"Life is not always fair but it's always good... behind the wheel of America's Sports car, the Mustang."
Old 08-22-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I tried in vain to find someone with duals on a V6 who i could discuss the pros and cons and actually listening to a set.

After resorting to all the sound clips i could find i reached the decision they didn't really replicate the real sound. Rather than dump hundreds into trial and error i elected to go with a GT talk-off and never regretted it.

I cant say there was a big bump in HP due to the muffler swap alone. But combined with the CAI/tune package it added some power and made an improvement in sound.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Old 08-23-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCV6stang View Post
It cost more getting a custom set-up from a shop but worth it. Agree with the above: H-pipe and Flowmasters. They make a good, low sound. No popping.
Location plays into that.
Sorry should have said "here it was $150"
Haha
Old 08-24-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the opinions guys, haven't been able to get on due to work. I might try to figure something out
Old 08-24-2016
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrick View Post
cutting my bumper.
Cutting into a bumper for a second exhaust is rather irritating, it's never exactly the same as the stock exit/opening. With duals/especially H-pipe configurations, you can fabricate hidden exhausts easily. For example I didn't want to cut into my rear diffuser at all, so I've got my dual system hidden up under the car. There are plenty of places you can get "Complete Bumpers/No Cutouts", even some stock ones for the V6. Less piping to deal with too in combination with no cutting.

Usually those resonator styled exhaust are the only way you can pull off hidden duals though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hidden Duals.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	760.6 KB
ID:	533506  
sidrick likes this.

2006 Aerodynamics Prior Design Racing 4.0 S197
*APDR Conversion (Body & Engine Bay)* -FR Transmission Swap- *Auburrn Gear HP Series LSD* -FR 4.10 Gears- *Cervini Type IV RAS* -Bama X4/SF4- *FR One Piece Driveshaft* -FR Ceramic Headers- *Custom MPC 12C "Hidden" Concept Exhaust* -
Z26 Brake Kit- *Steeda & SR Adjustable Control Arms* -HID CCFL Headlights/Gen 5 LED Tailights- ETC
Old 09-21-2016
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

On my first (06) I installed pypes true duals with GT takeoffs. On my newer (09) I left stock single but added FRPP Borla touring muffler. Sounds great, probably better than the duals sounded. I'm not sure if still available though from Ford.
Mike B
Old 09-21-2016
PONY Member

Garage
I had the FRPP Borla touring mufflers on my 07 Mustang. Got lots of compliments on the sound. The Tech did a great job of cutting the bumper, and installing the trim moldings.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in