Coolant leak, engine overheating - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Coolant leak, engine overheating

Hey guys, I have a coolant leak coming from my engine which is causing my engine to "smoke" and also causing my car to overheat. A friend says that it might be a blown gasket. This morning arriving at work I checked my engine and it was smoking from one of the cylinders. What could the problem be? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
ummm, how do you know it was smoking from one of the cylinders? the thermostat housing is a known problem in the 4.0 cars. stop driving it till you get it fixed or your asking for major damage and $$$ to fix. good luck

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016
Rookie

I would guess the smoke was the coolant burning off while the engine was still hot.

Your problem could be the thermostat housing. I had the same problem, replaced most of the thermostat housing parts and threw in a new thermostat for good measure, flushed and refilled the coolant and have had no problems since.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I just replaced the water pump and it slowed down the leaking a lot, however there is still a little leak that the mechanic thinks is coming from the block. I'm going to try the gasket sealant liquid and see what happens. Any thoughts on the sealant? Thanks.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016
GT Member

What kind of sealant are you referring to? Is it one of those "head gasket repair in a bottle" things?

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah, I was thinking of trying those sealant on a bottle to see what happens.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016
GT Member

I don't have any personal experience with them, but I do know that whichever one you choose, you MUST follow the directions EXACTLY.

But I'd still leave that as a last resort, and try to narrow down the leak first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenwal View Post
I just replaced the water pump and it slowed down the leaking a lot, however there is still a little leak that the mechanic thinks is coming from the block.
Does this mean that the mechanic found the leak and verified a cracked block, or is he just guessing? If the block is cracked, I'd say go for it and see if the sealant saves you from having to replace it. But if it's just a t-stat housing leak or something, do a proper repair.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok. I'll try that and see what happens. The mechanic actually just looked at it again and says that it looks like its coming from directly behind the water pump. Should I perhaps replace the thermostat housing unit? Thanks again for your time guys,

Steve
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016
GT Member

You can replace the t-stat housing as a preventative maintenance item, but since the leak is coming from behind the newly-installed water pump, I'd say take the pump off and re-install it. (Get a good look at the block while the pump is off, too.)

Make sure that all the old gasket material is removed and clean all threads. You want clean, flat mating surfaces and evenly torqued bolts. If any of the threads are dirty, it will screw with your torque readings during assembly and some of them will be too loose.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Will do. In the meanwhile can I try the sealant till I can get the mechanic over to re-install the water pump? Also, is there anything else he can/should look at while he is re-installing the water pump?
GT Member

That stuff is really supposed to be a LAST resort, which is why I've never had the opportunity to try it. Whatever method it uses to seal leaks might have an adverse effect on things. I'd hate to see it gum up your thermostat or make a hard-to-clean mess around your gaskets. What brand/product is it? Maybe someone else will have had some experience with it and can chime in.

With the leak being so close to the water pump, your mechanic should inspect everything in that area, including the block and the timing cover. If the area is dirty, you could do him a favor and degrease it before he shows up. That'll make things easier for him.

PONY Member

More than likely you have a thermostat housing that has gone bad. They typically split on the back and the leak will appear to be a bad water pump. Take a look around the thermostat housing before you try any of the other things, especially the "sealer"

2013 MCA Convertible, automatic - Revelare Designs cowl hood, Hellion single turbo.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Will do, thanks a ton man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page