Engine Belt Issue Hissing/Paper Sound - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016
DTRedfire

Engine Belt Issue Hissing/Paper Sound

Hey Everyone,

Was wondering if someone may have more information on this issue. As the title mentions I have recently noticed a sort of hissing or a "paper" like sound coming from the engine bay, more specifically around the serpentine belt. The only work I have done recently is replace the throttle body with a larger 70mm. At the time of replacement and testing I didn't notice any air leaks and checked today to make sure everything was tight and in place.

Could it be an air leak after all, or is it possible it's time to replace the belt. It doesn't exactly squeak, but there does appear to be a "paper" like sound coming from that area. The belt itself looks fairly new. Possibly a cold weather issue? Any thoughts of what it may be?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

If you had an air leak/vacuum leak your car most likely be running cruddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016
DTRedfire

That is what I thought as well, and the sound would be rather inconsistent, I have had a bad air/fuel ration because of the MAF, so I don't believe that is the issue. The sound tends to increase during higher RPM or when the car is under load. After popping the hood again today, it definitely sounds more like it is coming from the serpentine belt or at least around the pulleys.

From driving it doesn't feel as there is a loss in throttle response or output.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Spray some dressing on them.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016
DTRedfire

Funny that you mentioned that, it is actually what I did in the morning. I didn't have any dressing at the moment, but for the time being I used a bit of good ol' WD-40 and that seem to quiet the belt. I think the "paper" sound I'm here is the large TB, it doesn't seem t be present at higher RPM, so I'm assuming that is when the butterfly valve is fully open.

Since it seems to occur under low RPM, I think the butterfly valve opening in conjunction to the larger 70mm body is causing a difference in sound or a slight warping sound, but nothing usual. Perhaps I didn't notice it prior. Thanks for the help thus far, I think that would make sense as to the sound that I hear.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
what year car do you have? your AF being off has no relation to your serp belt. that points to a vacuum leak
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl817 View Post
what year car do you have? your AF being off has no relation to your serp belt. that points to a vacuum leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTRedfire View Post
Funny that you mentioned that, it is actually what I did in the morning. I didn't have any dressing at the moment, but for the time being I used a bit of good ol' WD-40 and that seem to quiet the belt. I think the "paper" sound I'm here is the large TB, it doesn't seem t be present at higher RPM, so I'm assuming that is when the butterfly valve is fully open.

Since it seems to occur under low RPM, I think the butterfly valve opening in conjunction to the larger 70mm body is causing a difference in sound or a slight warping sound, but nothing usual. Perhaps I didn't notice it prior. Thanks for the help thus far, I think that would make sense as to the sound that I hear.

Did you fix the maf issue and this is a new noise?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page