Extremely loud noise and overheating - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Extremely loud noise and overheating

Hello all! 2010 v6 mustang, bought it used a couple days ago and been loving it. however its currently sitting at the dealership overnight waiting for the morning. Was headed home and sitting at a traffic light with a/c on (yay georgia) when a massive noise started coming from roughly the air intake area. heavy vibrations, rising temperatures and i believe some loss of power but was coasting it to a parking lot at that point so could have been my imagination.

To clarify, not a high pitched whistling noise, or clicking thunking or pinging noise. More of a mini monster roar that could be heard multiple car lengths away. I figured out eventually I could start the car up with all air off and have no noise overheating and power loss, and was able to drive it to the highway and 4 or so exits up with no issue to the closest dealership. the moment a/c is on or started with any air, within 20 seconds its back. Also figured out the original dealership didnt have the air intake fully closed from the presale maintenance. but that was not the cause. No leaks I can see (And I have checked morning and night after each 40 or so minute commute because I don't trust dealerships). Since it was rapidly getting dark (past 730) and I was In a not so safe area (I daily open carry for work for a reason) I decided to not risk trying to repair it with no tools in a parking lot when I have no clue what it is.

My experience with cars ranges from 73 novas to early 2k bulls, This is not a noise I have heard before and i spent hours searching the internet and your forums for any answer before posting. would love any help with this as it's my new daily driver.

And for now Im delaying ordering a new cai and bama tune/exhaust conversion (and more importantly all weather mats) until I have a month of roughly smooth running with this, but it's hard fr me to not mess with cars once I have them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
welcome to the forum! since your car still has the 4.0 V6, you can search overheating issues for all 05-09 V6 cars. this can be a wide variety of problems, all tho the first issue you should address is the stock plastic thermostat housing. it is a know issue in the V6 cars, it will crack and leak causing overheating issues. you can purchase an aftermarket aluminum housing, just search it. the growling sounds like a pulley going bad and since its just when the ac is on, I would look there. could also be the cooling fans not coming on. we need more info to help point you in the right direction. last thought and just my .02$, go with Brenspeed, Steeda, Lund..ect for a tune, Bama wouldn't be on my list. again welcome and good luck

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

So an update, Apparently the fan blades on the radiator fan are breaking apart and the motor on it is locking up, as if something got in there. they want to charge me nearly 800 dollars for it. I thanked them, paid diagnostic fee, will be grabbing a new fan and assembly on my way home and doing the oh so intense manual labor of replacing it. also wouldnt get it back until at least monday night with this 800 dollar labor fee...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016
PONY Member

Makes you wonder how some mechanics sleep at night. Smart move on your part. Best of luck!

2005 V6 Convertible
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

extra bonus update. the blades themselves are fine. it was the center of the fan that broke off. i know its a technicality but still.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

they also offered to replace my blend door actuator for only 200 dollars
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Extremely loud noise and overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by itamoo View Post
they also offered to replace my blend door actuator for only 200 dollars

That's not too horrible if it's anything like my wife's expedition where the dash has to come out to get to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
That's not too horrible if it's anything like my wife's expedition where the dash has to come out to get to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you can pull out glove compartment and access it from side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page