Oil change - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Oil change

Hi,

I'm sure that this is a hot topic, but I have a very specific question related to it.

When I first bought my Stang this last summer (it was used), it was running conv. oil. I got that drained ASAP and started using Mobil 1 full synthetic. It has ran fine ever since with no problems.

I know that Royal Purple is very highly regarded among Mustang enthusiasts. I am doing another oil change in a month or so. Is there any significant difference between Mobil 1 and RP? Will my MPG improve? Will my engine life increase? Is there an oil even better than RP that would be significantly better than Mobil 1?

ALSO, I bought a DENSO oil filter and was planning to use it at my next oil change. Has anyone had problems with DENSO oil filters? Is there any noticeable difference between DENSO and RP or K&N oil filters? Finally, is there another oil filter brand that I didn't mention that would be noticeably better than DENSO?

Jake

'07 Mustang 4.0L V6 Auto Convertible Torch Red "Layla"

SJU '19 The Hawk Will Never Die!

"I've had a good run. I've built a lot of things that work and a lot of things that didn't work." - Carroll Shelby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016
PONY Member

There will be lots of opinions on what oil and filters are best and how often to change the oil. Check out 'Bob is The Oil Guy' web site for lots of reading to satisfy your questions. I use what ever brand name synthetic oil I can find on sale, use good filters (anything but Fram) and change it myself every 5000. Some say that is overkill but I do it myself and that is my justification to do it more often than not. I don't track the Mustang and drive it like it's mine - not a rental lol. I also "over change" the tranny oil and rear diff too.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...s.php?ubb=cfrm

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Use a good quality oil and filter at your current oil change interval and you'll be fine.

I use Motorcraft filter and SynBlend without any problems.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016
Apprentice

Garage
I've heard nothing but good comments about Brad Penn Oil. I'm currently using 15W-40 in my 68 Mustang with a 331 stroker and roller rocker. It's a synthetic blend oil with lots of ZDDP additives. ZDDP additives are a must with flat tappet lifters. The most important thing to do is use a good quality filter and oil and change it at least once a year or 3000 miles.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Cast Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpud54 View Post
ZDDP additives are a must with flat tappet lifters. The most important thing to do is use a good quality filter and oil and change it at least once a year or 3000 miles.
Here is something else to consider, especially for cast iron engines. Some people might consider it a gimmick, but the logic seems sound. I attached a Made in USA FilterMAG SS365 Large for 3.5 – 4 inches diameter, oil filter magnet to the oil filter on my 260 V-8. This thing uses super-strong magnets with a 160-pound pull to filter out iron and steel particles as small as one micron.

Oil change-filtermag-ss365.jpg

“FILTERMAG™ powerful rare-earth magnets trap and hold wear-inducing metal particles smaller than 40-microns down to less than 1-micron that the filter element alone cannot stop. The strong magnetic force holds FilterMAG to the oil filter for an easy 30-second installation."

Oil change-filtermag-ss365-interior.jpg

Oil change-filtermag-ss365-installation.jpg

See: FilterMAG SS365: SS FilterMag Fits 3.50"-4.00" diameter | JEGS

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness" – John Keats.

Where Mustangs Began: 1963 Ford Falcon Futura Hardtop with a 164 hp Challenger 260 V-8 and a Ford-O-Matic two-speed automatic transmission. "The Wonder Falcon".
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback with a 435 hp Coyote 5.0 L V-8 and a 6R80E six-speed automatic transmission. "Race Red".
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016
PONY Member

Mobil 1 synthetic and a quality filter will do you just fine. Unless this engine was supercharged or turbo charged, I wouldn't worry about the fancy oils.

+1 on Bob the oil guy. It's a good read for those into that one subject.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page