Rebuilding with oil squirters? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 5.0 Coyote
  • 1 Post By Mustang11gt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Rebuilding with oil squirters?

I have a 2011 gt consuming oil. The question is do i cap off the squirters? Some advice would be great. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I don't believe your squirters are your problem,they are used for cooling,how many miles on your engine,and type of driving.Start with a compression check on your cylinders and see if you have a problem, also check your spark plugs to see there condition,is there oil going to your throttle body,just a few things to narrow down what might be the cause of your oil usage, also check for leaks.

Mustang11gt likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

No fluid leaks 170 compression on all cylinders all of the plugs had oil on threads, but nothing on the tip. Driving conditions are normal occasionaly i get on it not often. Consuming more than a quart every 1000 miles. Deleted pcv hoses.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang11gt View Post
No fluid leaks 170 compression on all cylinders all of the plugs had oil on threads, but nothing on the tip. Driving conditions are normal occasionaly i get on it not often. Consuming more than a quart every 1000 miles. Deleted pcv hoses.
Let me do some digging around,I also have a 2011 GT,I use 5W30 Mobil 1, and my engine has never used any oil,but some do.I will look for some answers for you from some of my now ford performance friends,hang loose
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Will do
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I did some checking on the Coyote engine for oil usage,one thing you might want to check,is what they called in the old days PCV valve not sure what the new term is,but if it is restricted it can cause oil usage.This is all I could find after the checks you did and the info you gave me. Good luck and keep me posted.
5.0 Coyote.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016
PONY Member

Let me understand this correctly. You said you deleted the PCV hoses? So is the PCV valve venting to atmoshere? Or do you have that plugged off as well? If you have deleted the PCV valve, that right there could be your problem. The whole purpose of the PCV valve is to relieve pressure inside the crankcase as the engine runs. If these gases ad pressure have no where to go they will create one. Blow by piston rings, valve cover gasket leaks, oil pan leaks. All kinds of bad. Just something to think about.

2005 V6 Convertible
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

The pcv was my first replacement with a new ford one then i drove it for a while and it still was consuming. I put breathers on to see if the tubes to the intake were letting oil go by, but that did nothing for me either.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016
GT Member

I believe you replied that you replaced the original pcv valve/line with a new one. Then you said you installed breathers. You put breathers on the lines coming out of the valve covers? If so then I would expect the passenger side breather to eventually clog up with oil.

How many miles on the motor and are you the original owner?

If you are going to rebuild the motor I think you should not plug off the oil squirters if you use the 11-12 style pistons. http://forums.corral.net/forums/s-19...squirters.html

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts

Last edited by PMDmustang13; 12-21-2016 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Did not see some previous replies.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
I believe you replied that you replaced the original pcv valve/line with a new one. Then you said you installed breathers. You put breathers on the lines coming out of the valve covers? If so then I would expect the passenger side breather to eventually clog up with oil.

How many miles on the motor and are you the original owner?

If you are going to rebuild the motor I think you should not plug off the oil squirters if you use the 11-12 style pistons. Piston Oil Squirters - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
If you have an 11-12 do not plug off the oil squirters.

The problem is most likely the pcv system with the valve stuck open. Ford renamed this, but I cannot remember off hand. Adding a JLT oil separator will prevent oil vapor from being drawn into the engine, fouling plugs and lowering your octane - potentially damaging your engine. I've tried others, but JLT works best. Silver Horse and Shelby use JLT's design without paying for it, so don't help them out there. Another good one is Bob's Oil Separator. Everything else is a step down.

The pcv valve is in the valve cover and I pretty sure you need to remove that to replace. In almost all cars using oil, the pcv system is usually the main culprit.

DT

2010 GT Premium / Automatic / RapidSpec 401A Leather Interior / MMD Decklid Panel / MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Black Tail Light Trim / GT500 Splash Guards / GT Valve Caps / FRPP GT500 Brake Cooling Shields / FRPP-SVT GT500 Cooling Fan / Steeda LCAs / Whiteline Front Sway, RTR Rear / Whiteline Adj Panhard / Redline Hood Struts / JLT Oil Separator / JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake / Pypes O/R X-pipe / Pypes Violators Axelbacks / Steeda UDP / Steeda CMDPlugs / Brenspeed Tune
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I tried the new pcv before i tried the breathers. Ive also tried the jlt oil separator on the passenger side of the engine. I didn't notice any difference at all with or without it on there other than the fact that I would get probably about a teaspoon of oil every 500 miles.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I have 55,000 miles im the 3rd owner ive had the car for a year now
GT Member

I hate to say it. And I don't think you mentioned seeing blue smoke coming out of your exhaust. But it really sounds like one or both of the previous owners did not take good care of your engine. Oil must be getting past the rings somehow excessively. Maybe just a good overhaul will cure the oil usage? But if you are going to pull the motor out to do that, and you have the money, might as well rebuild it all the way and put forged bottom end in there.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I was thinking the same thing or even just change out the pistons
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

But no blue smoke ever i do get an oil smell when coming to a stop but no leaks. When the cats are on there is no smell.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page