Intake manifold - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Intake manifold

So soon it's going to be time to add somethings.. I'm going t do JLT CAI LUND tune and a intake manifold.. I'm stuck between the gt350 or the boss. What are halls opinions and which should I go with?

PS wife got me black 5.0 emblems for Christmas and I snapped these on the way home today.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

NICE looking Mustang,as for the Boss manifold,I believe you only see a benefit gain in the very upper range of your RPM.

crjackson2134 and wildhorse44 like this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Based on what I've read only (I have no personal experience with either of these) and if I were dead set on an intake manifold upgrade I'd pick from hear.

2011-14 Mustang GT Ford Racing Cobra Jet Intake Power Up Kit M-9000-M50CJ

or here

http://www.brenspeed.com/m-9424-m50cj.html

Just realize the best benefits on any of these are probably in an RPM range you can't safely use without other modifications.

I picked the CJ over the Boss due to low end torque. That said, you can find plenty of people who are quite happy with either Boss/CJ alone. Personally I wouldn't on MY daily driver.

Just my 2
5.0 Coyote likes this.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Intake manifold

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
Based on what I've read only (I have no personal experience with either of these) and if I were dead set on an intake manifold upgrade I'd pick from hear.

2011-14 Mustang GT Ford Racing Cobra Jet Intake Power Up Kit M-9000-M50CJ

or here

http://www.brenspeed.com/m-9424-m50cj.html

Just realize the best benefits on any of these are probably in an RPM range you can't safely use without other modifications.

Just my 2
When you say safely use, do you mean that the rpm at which the new manifold comes into play in is too high for the car to rev, like its past the factory rev limit? Or are you saying that the factory valve train and or factory "tune" is jinky, and the motor can't handle pulls to redline? Why wouldn't it be "safe?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
The CJ is the one to get, it is recommended that you do the upgraded pulse ring with it - you'll need a tune regardless of which inake you use so.....

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
What is your motivation for wanting to change intake manifolds?

The Cobra Jet intake manifold costs nearly twice as much as a Boss 302 intake manifold. Then there's the added cost of the throttle body for the CJ. The Boss 302 manifold uses the factory throttle body. GT350 intake manifold is also is very expensive.

Yes there is power in the Boss 302 intake manifold. The factory rev limit is 7000 rpm and it needs to be raised to 7400-7600 rpm to take advantage of where that intake was designed to make power. I've switched back and forth between the OEM intake manifold and Boss manifold a few different times. The difference is quite noticeable from ~6500 rpm and up.

Great looking car. I noticed the European plates. Are you from a European country or are you military?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
What is your motivation for wanting to change intake manifolds?

The Cobra Jet intake manifold costs nearly twice as much as a Boss 302 intake manifold. Then there's the added cost of the throttle body for the CJ. The Boss 302 manifold uses the factory throttle body. GT350 intake manifold is also is very expensive.

Yes there is power in the Boss 302 intake manifold. The factory rev limit is 7000 rpm and it needs to be raised to 7400-7600 rpm to take advantage of where that intake was designed to make power. I've switched back and forth between the OEM intake manifold and Boss manifold a few different times. The difference is quite noticeable from ~6500 rpm and up.

Great looking car. I noticed the European plates. Are you from a European country or are you military?
My motivations are to gain some rwhp/torque. I drive it everyday right now and really just enjoy that. I may run it at a track one day just for fun but this car will never be for that. The plan is to do some bolt ons and try and be in the 430-450 rwhp range. I think that will keep me happy for now. Full exhaust will be next, then cams, then either twin turbo's or super charged. I am not sold on the cobra jet. From the things that I have found, the boss intake is better in the long run for a boosted application.

Thanks for the compliment, I am military, stationed in Italy.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Since your car is an 11-14 you should just forget about the GT350 manifold. Takes too much to get working and you lose the main benefit over the boss, the charge motion plates.

I would either keep the stock manifold (and maybe get it ported along with the throttle body), or get the Cobra Jet manifold with one of the bigger throttle bodies (twin 67, twin 72, or monoblade. the twins have better drivability for a daily). The boss loses too much torque and the power comes in too late, especially if you keep the stock throttle body.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Leave the intake manifold alone and install a set of headers.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
Since your car is an 11-14 you should just forget about the GT350 manifold. Takes too much to get working and you lose the main benefit over the boss, the charge motion plates.

I would either keep the stock manifold (and maybe get it ported along with the throttle body), or get the Cobra Jet manifold with one of the bigger throttle bodies (twin 67, twin 72, or monoblade. the twins have better drivability for a daily). The boss loses too much torque and the power comes in too late, especially if you keep the stock throttle body.

There's a current thread on the SVT forum on the GT350 intake, As you said it looks like a PITA to install.

I've seen a handful of CJ and Boss intake setups, and the CJ IMVHO is the way to go. The OE GT500 throttle body works with the CJ, costs $50 and on 93 pump gas will support 440rwhp and spin to 7800 all day long.

OTOH, I did see a CJ with a mono blade, cam swap and the Rev BMF CAI make 490rwhp on E85. The motor in that car has been rebuilt and is a 500+rwhp NA monster. Me want one like it ..

wildhorse44 likes this.

2010 Grabber Blue Mustang GT, Forged 4.6L Roush TVS and other stuff ... The modding shall never end ...

Wife's car ... 2014 Sterling Gray Premium GT 401A, stock for now ..
PONY Member

Garage
IMO it's not worth sandbagging the cj with the smallest throttle body. At the very least you should do a twin 67.

As Blazin said though, i wouldn't mess with manifolds until you have a nice set of headers
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I appreciate all the information guys. Maybe I'll look at doing headers, full exhaust, cai, and tune. What headers do you recommend?
BOSS Member

Garage
I went with 1 3/4" full length headers with catted x-pipe from BBK and GT500 mufflers. You don't need to replace the rest of the pipes. I'm pretty sure they are 2 3/4" from the factory.
noldevin and wildhorse44 like this.
BOSS Member

Garage
Did you checkout the Victor II from Edelbrock?
wildhorse44 likes this.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
I went with 1 3/4" full length headers with catted x-pipe from BBK and GT500 mufflers. You don't need to replace the rest of the pipes. I'm pretty sure they are 2 3/4" from the factory.
Where did you get GT500 mufflers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in