Thinking About Ditching Trackey Tune - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thinking About Ditching Trackey Tune

Well I've had the Ford Racing Trackey tune for a little over two years now and I always felt "meh" about it. I hardley notice a change between the keys, maybe a slight improvement in throttle response with the Trackey - that's about it. Last fall I went to the drag strip a few times and now I have the mod bug. Now I really leaning towards a SCT tuner so I can do longtubes.

Has anyone else ditched a FRPP tune for something SCT-based? Glad you made the change or did you regret it?

Thanks for any advise!

BTW, does anyone know if I can save the FRPP tune from my ECM to the SCT handheld?

'14 Grabber Blue GT - Base 300A, Track Pack, Recaro seats - Mods: SCT X4, BBK long tubes and X-pipe, Roush axlebacks, MGW shifter, BMR LCAs and UCA w/ mount
'93 Reef Blue LX 5.0 - 5-speed, black interior, factory A/C delete - GT40P Top End, 5-Lug/4-Wheel Disc - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016
Rookie

Other people have said they backed up TK & added custom tunes but I could not.
I purchased an SCT4 from Steeda & it indicated I had an unsupported vehicle:
"MBTKC* - Contact Technical Support "
Steeda, STC, Bama & a few others told me I had to have Ford remove the Track Key tuning before proceeding. I woundup returning it.
Tom

Tom.......
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016
PONY Member

Garage
I really enjoyed the TracKey tune and felt it was more responsive and just ever so slightly more torquey off the line. I did however go the way of a canned tune; it came with my ProCharger! Future plans are to upgrade to headers and mid pipe with a smaller pulley and a dyno tune.

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOGT302 View Post
Other people have said they backed up TK & added custom tunes but I could not.
I purchased an SCT4 from Steeda & it indicated I had an unsupported vehicle:
"MBTKC* - Contact Technical Support "
Steeda, STC, Bama & a few others told me I had to have Ford remove the Track Key tuning before proceeding. I woundup returning it.
Tom
Was this with a Boss or '14 GT?

'14 Grabber Blue GT - Base 300A, Track Pack, Recaro seats - Mods: SCT X4, BBK long tubes and X-pipe, Roush axlebacks, MGW shifter, BMR LCAs and UCA w/ mount
'93 Reef Blue LX 5.0 - 5-speed, black interior, factory A/C delete - GT40P Top End, 5-Lug/4-Wheel Disc - SOLD
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
I really enjoyed the TracKey tune and felt it was more responsive and just ever so slightly more torquey off the line. I did however go the way of a canned tune; it came with my ProCharger! Future plans are to upgrade to headers and mid pipe with a smaller pulley and a dyno tune.
I'm assuming your Procharger tune is on a SCT device? Did you have any problems uploading the Procharger tune with the Trackey tune already loaded?

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

http://kennybrown.com/blog/14/march/...rack-key-worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016
Apprentice

the trackey tune stays on the vehicle whether you add a new sct tune or not. I now have an AED tune but if I put my track key tune in (and don't start it) it still says trackey active, track only stuff. AED tune blows the trackey out of the water.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrbrBlu View Post
Was this with a Boss or '14 GT?
2012 Boss 302

Tom.......
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
I'm assuming your Procharger tune is on a SCT device? Did you have any problems uploading the Procharger tune with the Trackey tune already loaded?
No problem what-so-ever!

Major Mods:
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by django View Post
the trackey tune stays on the vehicle whether you add a new sct tune or not. I now have an AED tune but if I put my track key tune in (and don't start it) it still says trackey active, track only stuff. AED tune blows the trackey out of the water.

I'm not 100% sure this is accurate. I believe that the vehicle recognizes the chip in the key that designates that the TracKey is inserted and will display that on the instrument readout. I could be wrong though being the ECU is a dual-path setup with these cars so maybe the TracKey tune is still residing there. But my car doesn't run the TracKey tune with the TracKey inserted.

Major Mods:
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

AED - Advanced Engine Development. Is this who folks are referring to for tuning?
Custom Dyno Tuning | Advanced Engine Development - AED

If so, I called AED on Friday and spoke to a guy named Sean. He said I will not have trouble uploading a tune from the SCT device. Also, he told me that the ECM doe not store two tunes like I originally thought with the Trackey. Instead the Trackey just makes parameter changes through MyKey. Sean stated the Trackey is a dangerous tune - I wish I asked what made him think that.

Before I spoke to Sean I emailed SCT and received a response stating I could not use their tuner unless I had a dealer flash the ECM. I'm now lost on what to do: I'm afraid to waste $400 on a tuner and not being able to upload it.

GT Member

I had super strong success with Procal (predecessor to Track Key and basically the same tune) on my 2012 manual car. It ran 11s at 115+ with that tune and a sticky tire. After three years running and over a hundred clutch-dump launches that engine still made full spec compression on all 8, to the pound. The canned Procal and my car just got along really well; my results may not be what everyone sees. I`d not concur with Shaun that it is dangerous. On my car now, though, which is an auto, I went with VMP + SCTX4 because they are industry leaders in auto tuning. I`m quite happy with the VMP, it`s the factory torque converter than makes the 14 a little less capable at the strip than the manual car. I fixed that with a 100 shot of nitrous.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I had super strong success with Procal (predecessor to Track Key and basically the same tune) on my 2012 manual car. It ran 11s at 115+ with that tune and a sticky tire. After three years running and over a hundred clutch-dump launches that engine still made full spec compression on all 8, to the pound. The canned Procal and my car just got along really well; my results may not be what everyone sees. I`d not concur with Shaun that it is dangerous. On my car now, though, which is an auto, I went with VMP + SCTX4 because they are industry leaders in auto tuning. I`m quite happy with the VMP, it`s the factory torque converter than makes the 14 a little less capable at the strip than the manual car. I fixed that with a 100 shot of nitrous.
Wow - I have to say that's a pretty impressive run with the Procal! The best I could do with the Trackey was 13.3 at 108mph, but that was with 100% stock suspension with horrible wheel hop.

GT Member

Yep, I thought so. It was a fully loaded premium BBP car as well.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Rookie

Thumbs down

Quote:
AED - Advanced Engine Development. Is this who folks are referring to for tuning?
Custom Dyno Tuning | Advanced Engine Development - AED

Before I spoke to Sean I emailed SCT and received a response stating I could not use their tuner unless I had a dealer flash the ECM. I'm now lost on what to do: I'm afraid to waste $400 on a tuner and not being able to upload it.
This was my experience on the STC4 I got from Steeda. I called STC & Bama besides Steeda and was told I have to have Ford flash my ECU to stock (remove TK) before I could reflash with the tuner. I returned the SCT4 to Steeda & paid their restocking fee. ugh

Tom.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page