Problem With Removing Motor Mount - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Problem With Removing Motor Mount

I'm in the process of installing long tube headers and having trouble lifting the engine.

I've loosened the nuts on the isolator studs in the engine bay (actually removed the driver's side nut) and then I tried to lift the motor my using a floor jack and a block of wood under the bell housing. The whole front end of the car is lifting in stead of just the engine/transmission. From what I see, the engine/transmission is only supported by the two motor mounts and the transmission bracket. What else am I missing?

Thans for any help!

'14 Grabber Blue GT - Base 300A, Track Pack, Recaro seats - Mods: SCT X4, BBK long tubes and X-pipe, Roush axlebacks, MGW shifter, BMR LCAs and UCA w/ mount
'93 Reef Blue LX 5.0 - 5-speed, black interior, factory A/C delete - GT40P Top End, 5-Lug/4-Wheel Disc - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Disconnect the steering shaft?

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yes, I already had it disconnected.

'14 Grabber Blue GT - Base 300A, Track Pack, Recaro seats - Mods: SCT X4, BBK long tubes and X-pipe, Roush axlebacks, MGW shifter, BMR LCAs and UCA w/ mount
'93 Reef Blue LX 5.0 - 5-speed, black interior, factory A/C delete - GT40P Top End, 5-Lug/4-Wheel Disc - SOLD

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I believe to get the clearance it requires slightly raising and supporting the engine to disconnect the mounts and removing the brackets.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Right, I need to lift the engine for clearance. But that's what I'm having trouble with; when I jack up on the bell housing the entire car is lifting, not the engine.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I'm stumped. Sounds like you did what is needed to do that.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'm still stumped too!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Do I also need to remove the two bolts that hold the isolator to the frame rail?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Yes. I had to do that on my 2012.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrbrBlu View Post
Do I also need to remove the two bolts that hold the isolator to the frame rail?
No you should not have to remove the 2 bolts attaching the mount to the frame of the car.

My car will also raise up a little when jacking the motor with nut removed from motor mount on one side. I usually only jack one side at a time. But if you keep jacking you will be able to lift the motor and the attached aluminum engine mount brackets off the stock rubber motor mount. On the driver side you won't be able to remove the motor mount without removing the aluminum engine mount bracket if you are upgrading to motor mounts like Steeda adjustable poly motor mounts.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Apprentice

just take the nuts off the engine mount studs. one on each side, and the steering shaft. that's it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Removing the two bolts that hold the isolator to the K-member was the only thing that worked for jacking up the engine. It still makes no sense though; with the nut removed from the stud the engine should have went right up. I got all the engine mount stuff down out of the way. Thanks for all the help.

Now I just need to figure out how to unclip the from O2 sensors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page