differential leak and black lug nuts - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

differential leak and black lug nuts

My car is a 2014 mustang GT

I took my car to ford for a oil change, they said they found differential leak but they wanted 100 bucks just to figure out why it's leaking.

Before I spend this 100 bucks, is it a cheap fix? Or am I better off taking it to some where else?

My car is about 50k miles on her, I don't want to take it somewhere else and they make it worse then it is.

Also I bought some 19" black glossy wheels. They were off from a 2016 mustang GT.

Can I use 2016 black lug nuts? Or do I have to get 2014 black lug nuts? I don't have the 2016 black lug nuts, but since these are a 2016 black wheels, might as well right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Also when I took my car in, I don't think they check the air filter. It looks really dirty. How long do they last? I have OEM filer.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017
PONY Member

It's probably a bad pinion seal which is a $10 part. It's going to take a few hours to swap out though, so the shop will charge accordingly for labor. While they're in there it would be good to replace the pinion bearing at the same time so you don't have to touch the rear end again for a while.

At 50k miles you should be looking at swapping out the transmission fluid, fuel filter, air filter, cabin air filter, and spark plugs. If you drive hard maintenance becomes even more important. And as far as I know you will need to use the stock lugs. The 2016 lugs have a different thread pitch.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Procharged--cammed--Lito tuned--coilover suspension

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017
PONY Member

Unless you've got over 60,000 miles on the car the rear end leak should be covered under the 5 year, 60,000 mile drive train warranty. As for how often to change the engine air filter, a lot has to do with the conditions the you drive in. In any case there is a maximum limit to how long you should go between changes. I don't have my owners manual in front of me, but I think it's supposed to be changed at least every 20,000 miles. Personally I never push the limits on any of the routine service items.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017
BOSS Member

Garage
Where is the leak coming from? If it's a pinion seal then- unless you have a little more than basic mechanical skills- let the shop replace it. Leaks from the axle seals are a little more doable with basic skills but probably best left to a shop if you're not comfortable with it. An axle vent problem or cover gasket leak could be done at home.

Biggest question is where the leak is located.

If the air filter is dirty then replace it. 3 minute job.
Urambo Tauro likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Just Under 50k, I usually take it to a family own ford, but I needed a a oil change bad. So I took it to one of ford own stores.

But I'll take it in a few week back to the family own ford see what they say about the warranty .

Tomorrow I'll get a new oem air filter and cabin filter.

Or napa filers any good?

Also it's been about 10-12k miles on the filter. Yeah it looks a dirty. Time for a new one.

Also my car is automatic, but I thought I read here trans fluid and rear end oil last for about 100k miles? Same for the spark plugs?

Are the spark plugs easy to get to in this engine? I can at least do that.

i would do my oil too, but 40-45 bucks at the dealership why even do it?!?! Lol
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
Just Under 50k, I usually take it to a family own ford, but I needed a a oil change bad. So I took it to one of ford own stores.

But I'll take it in a few week back to the family own ford see what they say about the warranty .

Tomorrow I'll get a new oem air filter and cabin filter.

Or napa filers any good?

Also it's been about 10-12k miles on the filter. Yeah it looks a dirty. Time for a new one.

Also my car is automatic, but I thought I read here trans fluid and rear end oil last for about 100k miles? Same for the spark plugs?

Are the spark plugs easy to get to in this engine? I can at least do that.

i would do my oil too, but 40-45 bucks at the dealership why even do it?!?! Lol

Any Ford store has to honor warranty repairs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

You need 2014-2005 lug nuts for your 2014 car.

The 2015+ cars have different threads on the wheel studs, so 2015+ lug nuts will not work on a 2014- car.

Also I'm pretty sure the 2015+ cars have different Tire Pressure Monitor System sensors inside the wheels, that won't work with 2014- systems. To get rid of the TPMS warning on the dash you will need compatible sensors installed inside the wheels.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nbk13nw
Quote:
My car is a 2014 mustang GT

I took my car to ford for a oil change, they said they found differential leak but they wanted 100 bucks just to figure out why it's leaking.

Before I spend this 100 bucks, is it a cheap fix? Or am I better off taking it to some where else?

My car is about 50k miles on her, I don't want to take it somewhere else and they make it worse then it is.

Also I bought some 19" black glossy wheels. They were off from a 2016 mustang GT.

Can I use 2016 black lug nuts? Or do I have to get 2014 black lug nuts? I don't have the 2016 black lug nuts, but since these are a 2016 black wheels, might as well right?
For my pinion seal replacement it was $243.00 out of warranty at 175k last year at the dealer.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

2005 GT, Flowmaster, SCT, JLT CAI, Eibach, Baer, FRPP Struts / Dampers, FRPP Deletes, FRPP 4.10's, TA Girdle, BBK UDP's, J&M Upper Link/Lower Control Arms, FRPP GT 500 Front Control Arms, Hurst short throw, Foose / BFG FDW's
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
You need 2014-2005 lug nuts for your 2014 car.

The 2015+ cars have different threads on the wheel studs, so 2015+ lug nuts will not work on a 2014- car.

Also I'm pretty sure the 2015+ cars have different Tire Pressure Monitor System sensors inside the wheels, that won't work with 2014- systems. To get rid of the TPMS warning on the dash you will need compatible sensors installed inside the wheels.
Yeah that what I read. Don't know if I should just take the ones out from my old rims or buy new ones.

I think the oem ones are about 200 bucks on eBay.

Any other that are cheaper online?
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
. . . I think the oem ones are about 200 bucks on eBay.

Any other that are cheaper online?
$200? wow!

American Muscle will sell you a set for about $25. The finish on these is not super durable, buy two sets for $50 and you can swap them out when they start looking crappy.

Black Mustang Acorn Lug Nuts (79-14 All) - Free Shipping

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
$200? wow!

American Muscle will sell you a set for about $25. The finish on these is not super durable, buy two sets for $50 and you can swap them out when they start looking crappy.

Black Mustang Acorn Lug Nuts (79-14 All) - Free Shipping
Not the lug nuts, but the TPMS are 200 without the controller. And 250 with the controller
SHELBY GT 350 Member

piece of painters tape to cover tpms light = free.

+1 on hopefully wtty repair on leak. If not sometimes they will waive diagnosis fee if they repair it but lthat needs to be discussed before. I would look to see if you can see where it is leaking from...vent is common/easy fix.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Not the lug nuts, but the TPMS are 200 without the controller. And 250 with the controller
oops, sorry my bad! LOL . . . I think there are some better deals out there but not sure if they really work!

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Aztec,

The 'leak' may just be gear oil burping out of the vent. This is a very common issue and installing a 'turkey baster' (the rubber bulb) or a separate mini tank stops the problem. When I changed the vent valve for a turkey baster vent, there was a fair gush of air that came out. Which reminds me of another cause of oil leaks at the back: if the vent is plugged then the air pressure will push oil out of the axle seals (and other places).

HTH,

Chris

2012 GT 6MT - RTR #59; performance white / charcoal interior
3.73's, AED tune, MGW Race Spec shifter, Airaid MFT, BMR rear LCAs & relo brackets, Panhard rod & brace, FRPP swaybars, MRT a/c H-pipe, LP OTAs, FR GT500 Touring axlebacks, FRPP diff cover, JLT PCV p/s catchcan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page