Whiteline suspension installed -Review - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
The dark side of mods......

So after a few hundred kms I put it back up on the hoist to re-torque everything, only a couple of bolts took much twist before my almost brandy-new torque wrench "clicked!"
So, 240lbs ft on the upper control arm top bolt - I was surprised by how easy it is to pop the back seat out as well as how there is zero sound deadened under it - but I digress - so "click"
Car back up (love hoists) reset wrench to 129 lbs ft, lower arms both ends, all relocation bracket bolts, pan hard Rod, all good - the two back bolts on the upper bracket - driver's side "click" passenger side? SNAP!!!!
Now I gotta tell ya if Ford sent me the body blueprints and I studied them for 3 days I don't think I could find a worse spot to break than the rear upper control arm bolt - bought a couple of new ones from the local dealer $4.55 CDN but no way, no how could I get the broken threaded portion out. Can't get my cordless drill up there with out dropping the rear end.....so I nursed it gently home and called my local hot rod shop - a good friend of mine, and Friday morning they'll get the broken one out and a new one installed.....and yes it was the very last one I needed to re-torque and yes the instruction said to re-use the factory bolts.....Hot Rods hey?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	571009  

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Right over top of the pumpkin.....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	571017  

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
GT Member

I had a similar problem with that same darn bolt. When I was installing my UCA I had to make some modifications to the UCA bolt holes so they would all three line up. And when I went to tighten that bolt it seemed like it was cross threading no matter how many times I tried to reinstall the bolt even without the UCA in place if I remember correctly. I ended up fighting that bolt all the way in with breaker bar and could not get it fully seated and was scared it was going to break the whole time. When I was at the dealer I told the mechanic the problem and he messed around with it for a little while and got the bolt seated without breaking. So far so good.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Picked it from the shop this afternoon, I got grief from my Bud because I should not have gone straight to 129, and I do know better than that - so word to the wise - set the wrench at 80 lbs ft, the 110, then 129... Step it up as you tighten and you'll be fine.
Took it straight to Stinson's and topped it up with 100 octane on top of the half tank of 91 V power - just cuz - and then beat it unmercifully just make sure everything was tight - therapy Baby, my car hooks and goes - wow
These upgrades really make me happy.

Scott

F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
How much difficulty did you guys have in removing the OE bolts? Was there any evidence of distortion in the OE bracket?

I'm going to assume (for the time being, at least) that the aftermarket brackets at least have the plates with the lower-side holes in them sitting in the same plane. Is there any chance that the car floors had become distorted (drag-race launches, wheel hop, etc.), which would make it more difficult to install the last bolt once the first two were in?

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
The Whiteline I have sits perfectly flush to the floor Norm. I'm thinking that along with not stepping the torque, I also tightened the under seat bolt before seating the under car bolts. The OEM bracket was a piece of thin folded sheet metal, very little rigidity, in fact surprisingly wimpy for all the strain it is subjected too. The two under car bolts attach to a sub frame that is in turn bolted to the floor/body structure.

Scott

F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
How much difficulty did you guys have in removing the OE bolts? Was there any evidence of distortion in the OE bracket?

I'm going to assume (for the time being, at least) that the aftermarket brackets at least have the plates with the lower-side holes in them sitting in the same plane. Is there any chance that the car floors had become distorted (drag-race launches, wheel hop, etc.), which would make it more difficult to install the last bolt once the first two were in?

Norm
Norm it has been a few years since the install (around 4/9/13). But if I remember correctly I did not have difficulty removing the OE bolts. I don't believe there is any distortion in the OE bracket which is still on my garage floor. I don't believe the floors had or have been distorted yet in my car. I probably have notes in a folder at home on my discussion with the technical representative for the manufacturer of the UCA but if I remember correctly they did have some issues with hole locations/tolerances in some of their first UCA mounts. By the way I am happy with how the mount and UCA has been performing ever since the install.

I have a pretty lengthy detailed email that I sent to manufacturer indicating my issue and how I believe I resolved it if anybody is interested. I have photos too.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page