• 2 Post By venom800tt
  • 1 Post By 5LHO

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

2013 Mustang GT upgrade to 2018???

Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows how the new Mustang get 460 hp and since it is still using the coyote 5.0 how can I replicate those numbers on mine. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017
BOSS Member

IMHO...start with a tune (real) and then look at cams...it won't take much to get there

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom800tt View Post
Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows how the new Mustang get 460 hp and since it is still using the coyote 5.0 how can I replicate those numbers on mine. Thanks in advance
Remember that just because it's still a Coyote engine that doesn't mean it's the same as yours. I don't know the specifics of all of the changes between the Gen II and Gen III versions but the addition of direct injection and a 12:1 compression ratio alone will account for a significant increase. Aside from that it uses an intake manifold based on the GT350 and an increased rev limit. You will not be able to duplicate that engine but a set of headers and the Boss 302 intake manifold along with a good tune will give you a significant increase. Beechkid will come back and disagree with me on this but I hold firm in what I'm saying. Save your money on the cams too.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I talked to a Ford rep when I was up in Pa for the Ford Nationals,he told me the ONLY thing that was the same between the old Coyote engine and the new Coyote engine was the CRANK,everything else was different.
5.0 Coyote
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks guys for the info. Guess I'll start with the good old Intake/tune and see where that leads me. I got the track cal but didn't like how touchy the tune is. Glad I didn't sell my SCT X3 so I can try 3rd party tunes.

13' Mustang GT 5.0L Grabber Blue 401a, 6spd manual, Brembo brake pkg with Boss radiator, engine oil cooler, Torsen differential & 3.73 gears. Back up camera with Navigation.
Mods - Flowmaster Outlaw, Roush front, side, rear splitter. Roush hood scoop + quarter window louvers, Barton 2 piece shifter bracket
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
I talked to a Ford rep when I was up in Pa for the Ford Nationals,he told me the ONLY thing that was the same between the old Coyote engine and the new Coyote engine was the CRANK,everything else was different.
5.0 Coyote
I'm interested for a detailed tear down and see all the new changes.
5.0 Coyote and crjackson2134 like this.

13' Mustang GT 5.0L Grabber Blue 401a, 6spd manual, Brembo brake pkg with Boss radiator, engine oil cooler, Torsen differential & 3.73 gears. Back up camera with Navigation.
Mods - Flowmaster Outlaw, Roush front, side, rear splitter. Roush hood scoop + quarter window louvers, Barton 2 piece shifter bracket
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017
GT Member

Remember all the theories around the mysterious 8 hp increase between 2012 and 13? Some of this is hype, some of it real. DI doesn't increase power on its own, it needs something to go along with it, like, say, increased compression and/or more aggressive cam timing.

Getting 460 fwhp out of an old coyote is easy. Full exhaust and a good tune will easily net that.
crjackson2134 likes this.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page