What happen to my frame? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GLOCKer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

What happen to my frame?

Hi Guys,

I found this under my GT, looks like someone did a cut on my frame, dont understand why!!!!

THe only thing I recall is that the dealer that changed my oil last time washed my car for free

Ford Mustang 2005 GT Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Cut frame? Mustangs are unibody construction. There is no frame to speak of. We can answer your question better if you post a pic.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017
PONY Member

Garage
That doesn't look like a man made cut. It looks like the floor pan bottomed out on something that didn't give. I say this because of the surface damage to the plastics in that area and the scratches on the other parts of the floor pan in your photos.
moonrakercat and Beechkid like this.

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
That doesn't look like a man made cut. It looks like the floor pan bottomed out on something that didn't give. I say this because of the surface damage to the plastics in that area and the scratches on the other parts of the floor pan in your photos.
+1

Plus I don't know why anybody would go around cutting metal under a car. If somebody wants to get back at somebody and take it out on their car they key it. Much easier and quicker. Plus they would want you to notice.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017
PONY Member

Have to agree with Glocker - looks like something caught in the hole and then the car was shoved backward.

Are you sure this wasn't there before the oil change ??

Did you buy the car used - and maybe it was there already ??

Either way - I believe the affected part is structural in nature - you might want to get it migged up.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

A tire shop dragged my 2005 on the alignment machine ramps. It made contact just under the front seats, the butthead simply clutched, rev'd and popped the clutch to get the car over the hump dragging again. He didn't think a bit even to see if somebody was watching. I made so much vocal noise with attitude, the tech exited the car on the opposite side from me. The bay driveway at the machine slopes out and down away from the door, so when they drop the ramps they slope too far, at least for a Mustang.

The damage only resulted in scratches, but the shop gave me one of the two tires for free, and dropped all alignment and extras charges. to make it up to me. the owner told me that the tech was new and forgot to put the wood boards on the end of the ramps. Wood boards? I've seen this done to trailer a car in an oddly sloped spot, but as a permanent more or less work-around in a professional shop? Seriously?

Any way, suspect the oil change tech making contact with one of the lift blocks left vertical. The damage is recent, no real rust. (I don't watch CSI for nuthin' LOL) Probably too late to try and stick it on them though. No witnesses. If I wait for service I have both eyes on the lift load and unload operation.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
A tire shop dragged my 2005 on the alignment machine ramps. It made contact just under the front seats, the butthead simply clutched, rev'd and popped the clutch to get the car over the hump dragging again. He didn't think a bit even to see if somebody was watching. I made so much vocal noise with attitude, the tech exited the car on the opposite side from me. The bay driveway at the machine slopes out and down away from the door, so when they drop the ramps they slope too far, at least for a Mustang.

The damage only resulted in scratches, but the shop gave me one of the two tires for free, and dropped all alignment and extras charges. to make it up to me. the owner told me that the tech was new and forgot to put the wood boards on the end of the ramps. Wood boards? I've seen this done to trailer a car in an oddly sloped spot, but as a permanent more or less work-around in a professional shop? Seriously?

Any way, suspect the oil change tech making contact with one of the lift blocks left vertical. The damage is recent, no real rust. (I don't watch CSI for nuthin' LOL) Probably too late to try and stick it on them though. No witnesses. If I wait for service I have both eyes on the lift load and unload operation.

Yeah I was wondering if this was lift related, but with the drag I ruled it out. I forgot about the pull on lifts though. That makes perfect sense looking at it and thinking about that process. OP Is your car lowered or have aftermarket wheels that make it sit lower?

How I forgot is beyond me as when I had a SLK350 a tire shop caught my front bumper on it. Both going on and off assumably, but I know coming off. They came and told me car was ready and I did my paperwork and just as I walked out luckily right by the bay my car was in I heard a pop and saw my front bumper move... As well saw the look on one of the guys in the shops face and knew something bad just happened. I inspected it told them what just happened. They tried to deny what I saw with my own two eyes... Luckily when I said ok hold on I will call corporate they said hold up let us grab our manager. Still he tired to beat around the bush and say it couldn't have been them. Finally as I was dialing corporate again he said okay okay we will cover it.

Why the long story. Well boils down to even if you saw it unless you have proof they may still try to not cover it. American customer service across all industries has gone so far down hill nothing surprises me anymore...

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017
GT Member

Peeled that thing back like an old fashioned sardine tin. That's fairly significant damage to repair. Start raising hell see where you get.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
yeah something was tore out of that hole! a hook,tow? someone move car while hooked up?
did you buy new,or used? not happening while just doing oil change. the metal isnt that thick,but is enough that who ever did that knows it! good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page