Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By crjackson2134
  • 1 Post By 5LHO

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Steering Problems/Noises when turning

I have a 2011 GT and today the weather finally got into the 80s and was nice and sunny. Started driving but noticed going in parking lots, around quiet neighborhood streets, or generally 0-20 MPH that in either direction i turn, the car makes a noise. When i turn it to the right, doesn't have to be all the way, it makes a squeak kinda like whale noises or a deep rubber squeak. When i turn it to the left, again not even all the way, It makes a rattling like somethings loose. kinda like clutch chatter when a multi disk clutch is installed.
So with this I started with the steering fluid, although when i popped the hood no reservoir was to be found.
Firstly should I have a reservoir or is it correct that there isn't one?
Secondly could the be the rack and pinion, tie rods, ball joint problem?

Also anyone ever experience something like this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The 2011 Mustang uses an EPAS system. There is no reservoir...

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/ele...-does-it-work/

5.0 Coyote likes this.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

The steering on the 2011 GT & up are electric, so there is no oil or fluid involved, you don't state how many miles are on the clock,but from what you describe I would check out your strut bearing mounts as a starting point,then look at the rack and suspension components for wear.Keep us posted.
5.0 Coyote

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
The steering on the 2011 GT & up are electric, so there is no oil or fluid involved, you don't state how many miles are on the clock,but from what you describe I would check out your strut bearing mounts as a starting point,then look at the rack and suspension components for wear.Keep us posted.
5.0 Coyote
Currently it has 157,xxx. Yes 157k its a daily driver. But how would i go about testing the strut bearing mounts?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheN00B View Post
I have a 2011 GT and today the weather finally got into the 80s and was nice and sunny. Started driving but noticed going in parking lots, around quiet neighborhood streets, or generally 0-20 MPH that in either direction i turn, the car makes a noise. When i turn it to the right, doesn't have to be all the way, it makes a squeak kinda like whale noises or a deep rubber squeak. When i turn it to the left, again not even all the way, It makes a rattling like somethings loose. kinda like clutch chatter when a multi disk clutch is installed.
So with this I started with the steering fluid, although when i popped the hood no reservoir was to be found.
Firstly should I have a reservoir or is it correct that there isn't one?
Secondly could the be the rack and pinion, tie rods, ball joint problem?

Also anyone ever experience something like this?
I would check the tie rod ends and ball joints, if they have zurk fittings I would shoot some grease into them

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018
GT Member

There haven't been zerk fittings on ball joints and rod ends in passenger cars for decades. They are sealed units now. At this mileage, anything could be worn. Get under there with a pry bar and see if you can move things wrongly. Strut mounts are easy, as problems up there will tend to manifest as pops and bangs when turning.

I'm having some similar EPAS issues but, I've only got 27K on the clock. Grabbing, jerking steering. Thought I might have to replace the EPAS rack. Then, last week, I was going lock to lock in a parking situation, the EPAS squealed, threw and advancetrak warning and fixed itself of the grabbing and jerking. It's going in Monday for diagnostic look and possibly a rack re-program at Ford. I'll keep everyone posted.

I'll add, what size and type of wheels and tires are on this car of yours?
5.0 Coyote likes this.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018
Apprentice

Garage
I had similar noises at slow speeds. I had to go to an empty parking lot, have a friend walk along the side of my car while I turned the wheel and he would try to pinpoint the location of the noise. That helped isolate the sound and I could inspect further from there.

Factory strut mounts are notorious for being crappy. Common noises for bad strut mount bearings is a creaking noise or a popping sound while turning. You have to take off the whole strut assembly to look at them. IF you are going to go through the trouble to do that, might as well have some aftermarket ones waiting to be installed. Its a job to take off front struts. The plus to this is that there are some videos out there that detail the process of installation.

My noise came from a flash light that was sitting somewhere on the steering shaft. Everytime I would turn my wheel, there was resistance and noise like the popping of a bad strut mount. The sad thing is that the flashlight had been in my car for over a year. I checked all the usual suspects to end up scratching my head. One day i just driving, heard a bang, looked in my mirror and saw something on the ground. Went out and grabbed it and it was my old flashlight that i couldn't find! Good luck to you
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018
GT Member

The update for me is that the EPAS has completely failed, randomly locking the wheel and preventing steering. The car is a 2014 and thus, out of warranty. Ford said pound sand, even though this kind of failure at speed is a recipe for catastrophe. I am disappointed they don't seem to share a concern about the failure mode here.

So, I'm in for buying a new EPAS rack and installation. These parts are not cheap, I assure you.

Here's a link to a video I shot before the system completely crapped out. You can see the random locking as I try and turn the wheel.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
There haven't been zerk fittings on ball joints and rod ends in passenger cars for decades. They are sealed units now. At this mileage, anything could be worn. Get under there with a pry bar and see if you can move things wrongly. Strut mounts are easy, as problems up there will tend to manifest as pops and bangs when turning.

I'm having some similar EPAS issues but, I've only got 27K on the clock. Grabbing, jerking steering. Thought I might have to replace the EPAS rack. Then, last week, I was going lock to lock in a parking situation, the EPAS squealed, threw and advancetrak warning and fixed itself of the grabbing and jerking. It's going in Monday for diagnostic look and possibly a rack re-program at Ford. I'll keep everyone posted.

I'll add, what size and type of wheels and tires are on this car of yours?
interesting you say your Advancetrak light came on. about a year or so ago i was driving on a mildly bumpy road (SC has the worst roads) and i hit a bump and it made the traction control turn off. but my wheel set up is 18x9.5 all the way around with 275/40/18 all the way around. I read up a lot before i bought wheels and everyone said they clear fine, so im not assuming its the tires.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
The update for me is that the EPAS has completely failed, randomly locking the wheel and preventing steering. The car is a 2014 and thus, out of warranty. Ford said pound sand, even though this kind of failure at speed is a recipe for catastrophe. I am disappointed they don't seem to share a concern about the failure mode here.

So, I'm in for buying a new EPAS rack and installation. These parts are not cheap, I assure you.

Here's a link to a video I shot before the system completely crapped out. You can see the random locking as I try and turn the wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zW-Kz0c5Qw
Ya that is not what i am experiencing but that is very concerning. I believe its the tie rods or bearings but will take it to a shop to have them confirm.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fury View Post
I had similar noises at slow speeds. I had to go to an empty parking lot, have a friend walk along the side of my car while I turned the wheel and he would try to pinpoint the location of the noise. That helped isolate the sound and I could inspect further from there.

Factory strut mounts are notorious for being crappy. Common noises for bad strut mount bearings is a creaking noise or a popping sound while turning. You have to take off the whole strut assembly to look at them. IF you are going to go through the trouble to do that, might as well have some aftermarket ones waiting to be installed. Its a job to take off front struts. The plus to this is that there are some videos out there that detail the process of installation.

My noise came from a flash light that was sitting somewhere on the steering shaft. Everytime I would turn my wheel, there was resistance and noise like the popping of a bad strut mount. The sad thing is that the flashlight had been in my car for over a year. I checked all the usual suspects to end up scratching my head. One day i just driving, heard a bang, looked in my mirror and saw something on the ground. Went out and grabbed it and it was my old flashlight that i couldn't find! Good luck to you
What brand of aftermarket strut mount bearings do you recommend?
Rookie

Unless you change your struts, you're limited to either the stock replacements or the Steeda HD Strut Mounts. Beyond that, you can go to full blown caster/camber plates.

The Steeda HD Struts Mounts do offer 1 degree of camber adjustment. But they do require use of the lower part of the OEM mounts (non bearing portion). You basically split the OEM mount apart.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustan...-555-8135.html

https://www.steeda.com/assets/documents/555-8135.pdf
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheN00B View Post
What brand of aftermarket strut mount bearings do you recommend?
I went directly with Steeda heavy duty strut mounts. They have their own spherical bearing. That was just what I did. I am even going with a different set up soon that removes the bearing entirely for my eibach coilovers. This will make my steering more responsive but I am giving up comfort.

Many people are happy with the GT500 strut mount bearings because they are more stout over stock but last time I looked, they needed a certain type of shock so just do your research. This would provide the user a stock feel with less worry of malfunction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page