"mechanical whirring sound" coming from engine bay. Video inside. - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mustang9983

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

"mechanical whirring sound" coming from engine bay. Video inside.

Hello, everyone.

I have a 2012 5.0m6 that has, as of a few days ago, begun to make a strange "mechanical whirring" sound that is prominent between 2k-3k rpm range in what seems to be most or all of the gears. I have had the idler pulleys, tensioner, and belt replaced and yet it persists. I thought it might be a pulley bearing, as the tone of the sound changes as the rpm's go up, and it was coming from that general area. It's coming from the center/left side of the engine but can be heard clearly inside the car.

The following video is more or less what it sounds like, and as stated above, I replaced the parts mentioned in the video's description today.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWB844CQqmE

I'm thinking it could be the water pump, but I'm not sure. I was hoping someone here has had the same issue and could help confirm my suspicions.

Thank you for reading!

e: I should mention that it does it in 4th, as well as with the clutch in or out in neutral. I have checked many forums for insight on this, and the video above was the only thing I've come across that demonstrates this issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang9983 View Post
Hello, everyone.

I have a 2012 5.0m6 that has, as of a few days ago, begun to make a strange "mechanical whirring" sound that is prominent between 2k-3k rpm range in what seems to be most or all of the gears. I have had the idler pulleys, tensioner, and belt replaced and yet it persists. I thought it might be a pulley bearing, as the tone of the sound changes as the rpm's go up, and it was coming from that general area. It's coming from the center/left side of the engine but can be heard clearly inside the car.

The following video is more or less what it sounds like, and as stated above, I replaced the parts mentioned in the video's description today.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWB844CQqmE

I'm thinking it could be the water pump, but I'm not sure. I was hoping someone here has had the same issue and could help confirm my suspicions.

Thank you for reading!

e: I should mention that it does it in 4th, as well as with the clutch in or out in neutral. I have checked many forums for insight on this, and the video above was the only thing I've come across that demonstrates this issue.

To isolate it to a belt or pulley or rule them out, I'd remove the belts and then drive it to see if you still hear it

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

I appreciate the reply. I started doing this today, but stopped because I was going to run out of light. All I ended up doing was removing the intake and putting that back on, as well as removing the plugs from the sound tube. I noticed the smell of oil shortly after doing this, and on the way home the noise from the video above became a bit more scratchy. When I parked the car, I noticed I had a pool of coolant on the ground, as well as underneath my engine cover and all over the engine bay. I'm wondering if maybe my water pump is on the way out. I was unable to find the location of the leak, as the stuff was everywhere.

I wonder if the pump replacement, assuming that's what I need, will fix the sound as well as the leak.

Hopefully the repair won't be too expensive. : )

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I would say your water pump is shot,seems like a weak link in some of the Coyote engines,you don't state how many miles are on the Mustang, but hope you get it figured out and fixed,keep us posted.
5.0 Coyote
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
I would say your water pump is shot,seems like a weak link in some of the Coyote engines,you don't state how many miles are on the Mustang, but hope you get it figured out and fixed,keep us posted.
5.0 Coyote
Yeah, sorry about that! I have just over 57k on mine. The impeller actually sheared off completely! It broke right around the center ring where it mounts. I had it replaced today for about 500 bucks and everything is normal again, minus the ticking (tsb 12-8-14 perhaps).
5.0 Coyote likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page