• 1 Post By alfreydo10
  • 2 Post By nyuk98gt
  • 1 Post By nyuk98gt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Dual usb charger

Hello all,
Does anyone know the process for installing a dual USB charger in the center console? I purchased a usb charger port which is a direct replacement for the 12v power outlet in dash or the cigarette lighter in center console. Is this fairly an easy process to do? Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018
PONY Member

Garage
It depends on the model year of your vehicle. The console outlet shouldn't be too difficult. Usually a two wire connection, for power and ground. If it's a direct replacement, should be a matter of removing the old plug, connecting the wiring , making sure it fits snugly in the OEM opening for the old outlets. My experience for my 2007, was that I had to pull up the center console to reach the outlet wiring, and remove the old outlet.
If you are planning to install one in your dash, it's a little more complicated. On the 2005-2009 model, you have to remove the front radio trim plate, to reach the power outlet structure and wiring. I suggest viewing the instructions for wiring a push button start for 2005- 2009 Mustang, on the American Muscle website. This will give you a good idea of what is involved.
Good luck.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Awesome, thanks for your response. I have a 2013 and my preference is installing it in the center console, instead of the dash. I will check out the video on the website.
huberoy123 likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

alfreydo10,

MGW, the shifter gurus, have shifter installation videos on YouTube. They show how to remove the console cover wihtout breaking anything, lol. You can look at their site, too, mgwltd.com, for videos.

Can I make a suggestion? How about getting a cigarette lighter plug that has 2 USB connections and then you wouldn't have to do any surgery. Just got one on Amazon (it's a phone charger).

HTH,

Chris
huberoy123 and crjackson2134 like this.

2012 GT 6MT - RTR #59; performance white / charcoal interior
3.73's, AED tune, MGW Race Spec shifter, Airaid MFT, BMR rear LCAs & relo brackets, Panhard rod & brace, FRPP swaybars, MRT a/c H-pipe, LP OTAs, FR GT500 Touring axlebacks, FRPP diff cover, JLT PCV p/s catchcan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Which cigarette lighter charger plug do you have so I can check it out?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

alfreydo10,

It's an "IRAG" charger and here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/iRAG-Charge-C...70_&dpSrc=srch

LMK if the link works, please.

HTH,

Chris
crjackson2134 likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Link works. Thank you.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Power always on?

I found this post via search. I have a 2012 V6 convertible manual trans, and bought one of these power outlet dual USB chargers, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plugged it in, and the backlight around the USB ports lighted up. I then left the car sitting for about 5 minutes and returned. Peering in through an open window, the backlights were still lit. So, I pulled the charger out of the socket and got on with my day.

Am I correct in concluding that the 2012 power outlets remain on indefinitely if something is plugged into them? I want to make sure I don't discharge my car battery. Thanks.

[EDIT] After posting, I found my answer here. Looks like the power outlet is always battery-powered unless you rewire. That's a bigger job than I want to undertake:

2012 Base V6 Convertible Race Red manual, purchased February 2016 with 22K miles.

Last edited by guyr; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:06 AM. Reason: Add link to answer in another post.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyr View Post
I found this post via search. I have a 2012 V6 convertible manual <acronym title="transmission"><acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym></acronym>, and bought one of these power outlet dual USB chargers, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plugged it in, and the backlight around the USB ports lighted up. I then left the car sitting for about 5 minutes and returned. Peering in through an open window, the backlights were still lit. So, I pulled the charger out of the socket and got on with my day.

Am I correct in concluding that the 2012 power outlets remain on indefinitely if something is plugged into them? I want to make sure I don't discharge my car battery. Thanks.

[EDIT] After posting, I found my answer here. Looks like the power outlet is always battery-powered unless you rewire. That's a bigger job than I want to undertake:
You are correct that the port has power even with the car off. I use a dual usb insert for my phone and haven't had an issue because I don't leave my phone in the car over night. If there isn't anything plugged into to it to draw power then you'll be ok. I use the usb that's in the center console for my iPod which is switched power.

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Thanks for the reply. Upon reading your reply, I think if I buy a dual USB charger with no back-lighting, I should be okay leaving it plugged in, as there should be nothing drawing power. Most of them seem to have back-lighting, but I should be able to find one without.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyr View Post
Thanks for the reply. Upon reading your reply, I think if I buy a dual USB charger with no back-lighting, I should be okay leaving it plugged in, as there should be nothing drawing power. Most of them seem to have back-lighting, but I should be able to find one without.
Mine does have a back light to it

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page