Ford Mustang Forum banner

Dual usb charger

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  my89foxbody 
#1 ·
Hello all,
Does anyone know the process for installing a dual USB charger in the center console? I purchased a usb charger port which is a direct replacement for the 12v power outlet in dash or the cigarette lighter in center console. Is this fairly an easy process to do? Any help is much appreciated.

#2 ·
It depends on the model year of your vehicle. The console outlet shouldn't be too difficult. Usually a two wire connection, for power and ground. If it's a direct replacement, should be a matter of removing the old plug, connecting the wiring , making sure it fits snugly in the OEM opening for the old outlets. My experience for my 2007, was that I had to pull up the center console to reach the outlet wiring, and remove the old outlet.
If you are planning to install one in your dash, it's a little more complicated. On the 2005-2009 model, you have to remove the front radio trim plate, to reach the power outlet structure and wiring. I suggest viewing the instructions for wiring a push button start for 2005- 2009 Mustang, on the American Muscle website. This will give you a good idea of what is involved.
Good luck.

#4 ·
alfreydo10,

MGW, the shifter gurus, have shifter installation videos on YouTube. They show how to remove the console cover wihtout breaking anything, lol. You can look at their site, too, mgwltd.com, for videos.

Can I make a suggestion? How about getting a cigarette lighter plug that has 2 USB connections and then you wouldn't have to do any surgery. Just got one on Amazon (it's a phone charger).

HTH,

Chris

#6 ·
Reactions: crjackson
#8 · (Edited)
Power always on?

I found this post via search. I have a 2012 V6 convertible manual trans, and bought one of these power outlet dual USB chargers, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0795DJXNH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plugged it in, and the backlight around the USB ports lighted up. I then left the car sitting for about 5 minutes and returned. Peering in through an open window, the backlights were still lit. So, I pulled the charger out of the socket and got on with my day.

Am I correct in concluding that the 2012 power outlets remain on indefinitely if something is plugged into them? I want to make sure I don't discharge my car battery. Thanks.

[EDIT] After posting, I found my answer here. Looks like the power outlet is always battery-powered unless you rewire. That's a bigger job than I want to undertake:

#9 ·
I found this post via search. I have a 2012 V6 convertible manual <acronym title="transmission"><acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym></acronym>, and bought one of these power outlet dual USB chargers, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0795DJXNH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plugged it in, and the backlight around the USB ports lighted up. I then left the car sitting for about 5 minutes and returned. Peering in through an open window, the backlights were still lit. So, I pulled the charger out of the socket and got on with my day.

Am I correct in concluding that the 2012 power outlets remain on indefinitely if something is plugged into them? I want to make sure I don't discharge my car battery. Thanks.

[EDIT] After posting, I found my answer here. Looks like the power outlet is always battery-powered unless you rewire. That's a bigger job than I want to undertake:
You are correct that the port has power even with the car off. I use a dual usb insert for my phone and haven't had an issue because I don't leave my phone in the car over night. If there isn't anything plugged into to it to draw power then you'll be ok. I use the usb that's in the center console for my iPod which is switched power.

#10 ·
Thanks for the reply. Upon reading your reply, I think if I buy a dual USB charger with no back-lighting, I should be okay leaving it plugged in, as there should be nothing drawing power. Most of them seem to have back-lighting, but I should be able to find one without.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.