• 1 Post By Dwiser3
  • 1 Post By XRacer
  • 1 Post By 5.0 Coyote

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
The dreaded Coyote 'tick'

I've read all about the 'tick' that people develop after an oil change. Mine is doing the same thing. I changed the oil and used Mobil1 Full Synthetic 5w-20 with a Mobil1 filter. Got the tick and learned all about the oil consumption issues that these cars have. It is a daily driver and I literally have to add about a half quart every weekend. My question is about the tick though...I've searched google and forums for someone to actually give some information about what it is. Where it comes from. What starts it. and most importantly, how to fix it. Nobody seems to know. My last oil change, I switched to Royal Purple 5w-20 and a Motorcraft filter. Still ticks. I added 8 oz of Sea Foam. Still ticks. It is driving me insane!! Is it a head problem? How do I fix it? Do I replace my heads with Boss heads? I have a ton of questions and no answers. someone please help!

Also, how do I stop this oil consumption? Surely Ford has figured it out and someone on here knows what I need to do.

Oh no....a 5.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

2011 Mustang GT,I use Mobil 1 5W30,with the small bottle of Hyper Lube every oil change.No tick and no oil usage in 5,000.
5.0 Coyote

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Thanks! I will be trying this tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
2011 Mustang GT,I use Mobil 1 5W30,with the small bottle of Hyper Lube every oil change.No tick and no oil usage in 5,000.
5.0 Coyote[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/AllFordMustangs-vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_plain.png[/IMG]
5.0 Coyote likes this.

Oh no....a 5.0

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018
PONY Member

Engine sounds aren't always easy to diagnose even when you're standing next to it, trying to do it from long distance as in a forum like this is a lot tougher. It sounds like two issues, possibly related, but maybe not. Did you buy the car new? Has it used a significant amount of oil from the very beginning or did it start about the same time as the tick? How many miles on it now? If you bought it used do you know anything about how it was used and maintained by the previous owner[s]? I was fortunate enough to have bought mine new so I was able control the break in process and subsequent maintenance as well as how it is driven [ fairly hard, but not abusive ]. I have just under 41,000 miles on mine and the only measurable oil consumption is a few tablespoons from the catch can between 4,500 mile oil changes with 5w30 Mobil 1 full synthetic. I sometimes have a slight tick when restarting the car if I have only let it run for a couple of minutes before the restart, but it goes away quickly. A damp or wet serpentine belt can make a noticeable noise and the injectors can be louder than you might expect. Put a mechanics stethoscope on the fuel line with the engine running and you'll really hear them. Good luck and let us know what you find.
HuntingKy likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018
Apprentice

I have found that mobil1 is not a quiet oil. I have never used it in my GT, because its an oil that I was not happy with in cars and motorcycles that I have tried to use it in. I don't like a noisy valve train. Maybe try a 5w30. I would pass on additives. But that's just me. Today's oils are great without adding a thickening agent. Just use a 'quiet' oil. YMMV...

2011 GT, MT6, Brembo, 401a, 3.73, Heart Throb H mid, Borla axle back, Hurst, Barton 2post, Michelin Super Sports, CDC chin spoiler, drilled rotors, Redline DCTF. 2013 GT500 Rear rotors and adapters, EDC red stuff, Energy Suspension <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> insert,
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
I have found that mobil1 is not a quiet oil. I have never used it in my GT, because its an oil that I was not happy with in cars and motorcycles that I have tried to use it in. I don't like a noisy valve train. Maybe try a 5w30. I would pass on additives. But that's just me. Today's oils are great without adding a thickening agent. Just use a 'quiet' oil. YMMV...
The small bottle of Hyper Lube is as thin as water, and the same color as water,ALL oils are removing zinc from there formula which is a cushion,Hyper Lube replaces that cushion,all I can say is it has worked for me and many others.Just my $02.
5.0 Coyote
crjackson2134 likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The last fix I read for the bbq tick was some months ago on this or another forum, don't really remember. basically it came down to a connecting rod bearing out of spec. the dude isolated the tick to a certain cylinder then went and pulled the oil pan and swapped the bearings with new, reassembled and the tick was gone. good luck.

Lots of bolt on goodies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page