• 1 Post By crjackson2134
  • 1 Post By gtthunder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Garage
Vibration after flywheel/clutch replaced

I just replaced everything from the back of the crank to the driveshaft. Installed Calimer Stage 1 MT-82, McLeod Lightweight steel flywheel, RST Clutch, throw out-release bearing, SS clutch line and bleed valve. Also put in new pilot bearing and flywheel bolts. Also replaced my Barton Shifter with a MGW race spec shifter. When I picked up the car from the shop it had a bad vibration and was not running well at all. Within 10 miles it threw CEL with code P0300. Figured out it was the CPS and took it to dealer and had them do the relearn procedure. ( I had to download the TSB for this as they had never heard of the "cps relearn" ) After I picked up the car the misfire was gone but the vibration was still there. You can feel it at idle in the shifter and as you raise the rpms you can feel it in the gas pedal and steering wheel. the vibration is there with the clutch engaged and disengaged. Worse when driving. Also a lot of chatter from the clutch. Touched base with Ben Calimer and he told the RST clutch can be noisy at times but not sure what could cause the vibrtation. Called McLeod and they thought that the clutch alignment marks were off or possibly the driveshaft not clocked correctly. Took it back to the trans shop and they checked the clutch alignment marks and they were dead on. Also reclocked the drive shaft Vibration is still there.

If you are wondering the Calimer stage 1 trans is 1000% better than the stock trans. Shifts like butter, no 3rd gear nibble. worth every penny so far. Also the MGW shifter is fantastic even though I have only put 40 miles on the car since replacement. Using Ben's recommended trans lube also.

Anyone else have these issues after replacing flywheel/clutch or have any thoughts. Driving me crazy not being able to drive my baby.

2011 Candy Red GT Premium.Brembo brakes, 3.73, Steeda CAI, Jon Lund tune, SW headers, MRT custom exhaust with JBA mufflers, Eibach springs,BMR LCA & panhard bar. Barton shifter. Steeda Spyder wheels, Nitto NT555G2's, Steeda/Boss front LCR's, Koni Sport shocks and struts. Boss lower front valance, Roush Billet grille, Steeda Racing rear wing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018
Apprentice

Not sure if this might be it but I know when I replaced the clutch in my older Mustang that the vibration I had was due to the flywheel not being totally flat.
But the vibration and chatter was worse on take off and then decreased as I got to speed.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018
BOSS Member

McLeod QA would be the 1st thing I would check...Ö.the most likely issue

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Garage
I talked with McLeod Tech and they had 2 suggestions. The first was to remove clutch assembly and flywheel and take to machine shop and have them balanced together. The second was to take the clutch assembly and rotate it 120 degrees and reinstall. Both ideas would result in more cost on my part as McLeod does not cover additional labor incurred due to warranty issues. Warranty is only 90 days. After some discussion with the shop doing the work ( one of the best here in my area) and other mechanics we decided that if I had to tear into this again why not try another clutch. Instead of getting another RST I went with their Street Extreme. Shop went through everything again, installed new clutch and the vibration is still there!
Another thought was the possibility that the Ford dealership that did the CPS relearn just cleared the codes associated with the CEL and did not properly do the relearn. I detect a miss or misfire around 1500 up to 3500 which is also where the vibration is the worst. I have reloaded my Lund tune multiply times to rule out this causing any issues with no change. I am off to another dealership to see if they will do another CPS relearn and see if that corrects the problem. If not I guess I am back to replacing the flywheel also.
Sorry for the long winded response just want to make sure I have everything covered.

2011 Candy Red GT Premium.Brembo brakes, 3.73, Steeda CAI, Jon Lund tune, SW headers, MRT custom exhaust with JBA mufflers, Eibach springs,BMR LCA & panhard bar. Barton shifter. Steeda Spyder wheels, Nitto NT555G2's, Steeda/Boss front LCR's, Koni Sport shocks and struts. Boss lower front valance, Roush Billet grille, Steeda Racing rear wing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Iíll be surprised if itís not the flywheel. I think if it were me, I would have had the whole flywheel/clutch assembly balanced (even the replacement) while it was out the 2nd time. I donít really think itís a misfire causing you to perceive vibration but it is possible.

Disturbingly, possibilities also include the transmission, but I would consider that ONLY after disproving other possibilities. Consider taking it to a known transmission speciality shop. One that has a reptation for being the best in the area with regards to manual transmissions. Thereís usually one in large cities who are well know for excellence. I would think Grand Rapids would have a shop that could run this down quickly.

Good (No GREAT!) Luck wishes to you. Please keep us posted.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Garage
Took it to another transmission shop in the area and the first thing they suspected was the flywheel. After we put the original flywheel back in the vibration is gone. The new McLeod flywheel looks trashed and it has only 68 miles on it. Now I have to work with American Muscle to do a return/refund of the flywheel. I was nice to finally drive the car more than a few miles to transmission shops this past month!
crjackson2134 likes this.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018
Rookie

So McLeod flywheel was defective out of the box or got damaged somehow?

Glad you're fine now.....

Tom.......
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtthunder View Post
Took it to another transmission shop in the area and the first thing they suspected was the flywheel. After we put the original flywheel back in the vibration is gone. The new McLeod flywheel looks trashed and it has only 68 miles on it. Now I have to work with American Muscle to do a return/refund of the flywheel. I was nice to finally drive the car more than a few miles to transmission shops this past month!
Exactly what I expected to hear. Iím happy you got that sorted out, now letís pray for getting the $$$ right.

AM has done right by me in the past. Let us know what happens.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page