Front end clunk on braking - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question Front end clunk on braking

Hey guys, I redid almost my entire suspension a few weeks ago. I've noticed lately my car (2011 GT) has developed a clunk on the front end while braking. It's only under hard-hardish braking. Lightly coming to a stop its non existent. You can kind of feel it in the pedal a bit but it seems suspension/weight transfer related. Mods in the front are GT500 strut mounts, BMR springs and Bilstein struts. My guess would be maybe the nuts on the strut mount need tightening, or possibly the end links, I can't be sure though.
Could be something else entirely because of lowering but any direction would be appreciated.

2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018
GT Member

Be careful the mounts have a torque spec. They will break if over tightened. Check spring isolators. Make sure top strut nut is tight. Check swaybar links and bushings.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusman59 View Post
Be careful the mounts have a torque spec. They will break if over tightened. Check spring isolators. Make sure top strut nut is tight. Check swaybar links and bushings.
Dumb question, and I may have just realized something. I didn't reuse the sleeve that goes on the spring perch (isolator). I had the mounts/springs/struts all premounted in one assembly for an easy install. Could this be the culprit? I'll double check everything else you mentioned.

2011 GT Premium 401a

UPR Oil Seperator | Borla S-Type Axle-backs | Bilstein Struts/shocks | GT500 Strut mounts | BMR Springs | BMR UCA | BMR LCA's w/ relocation brackets | BMR Panhard bar | MGW Race Spec | Dark Stainless SVE Drifts w/ Nitto 555's | JLT CAI | Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X-pipe | Tuned by Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports | 394whp/389ft lbs SAE | 12.74 @ 114 mph

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018
Apprentice

I did those same mods fairly recently, and I've had no clunk sound or seeming looseness at all. I did reuse the ford spring isolators and that certainly made for a very snug fit on the lower perch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page