Introduction & Tech - Bending wheel studs/twisting axle tubes - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B.Cooper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Introduction & Tech - Bending wheel studs/twisting axle tubes

Hey guys,

Im new on here, but I've been active in the industry for a while, just not on this forum. Im curious as to what combinations you guys have put together, and how far these cars have been pushed before bending studs, or twisting axle tubes. It seems to be a pretty common occurrence.

Here is my current combo...

2012 MT82 Coyote car
-3.31 Gears
-47# injectors
-Kooks 1 3/4 LT
-Kooks 3" catless Xpipe
-Bassani 3" "catback"
-SR Coilover kit
-BMR LCA's, UCA, and relocation brackets
-MGW Race Spec Shifter
-Racestars 17x4, 15x8
-MT Et Street R Bias Ply 28x11.50/15
-M&H Racemaster front runners

So far I've had the best results of..

60' - 1.695
330' - 4.814
1/8 - 7.419
MPH - 94.31
1000 - 9.669
1/4 - 11.561
MPH - 119.26

This was on a 26x10.5/15 MT Street ET R Bias Ply launching at 4500 with a DA of 2387 ft. and 76* Air temp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome to the site! Sweet ride!!

5.0 Coyote likes this.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018
PONY Member

Welcome, definitely a good looking ride and pretty impressive times for NA. Original clutch or aftermarket? Tune? If you still have the factory clutch & flywheel I would get an SFI approved aftermarket one. I've seen clutch explosions and the results. The aluminum bell housing on the MT82 dosen't have a chance of containing a clutch/flywheel explosion. It may not be necessary, but if it were me I would have the axle tubes welded and give serious thought to aftermarket axles. With the "C" clip design used on the 8.8 rear end if you were to break an axle it could get ugly.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRacer View Post
Welcome, definitely a good looking ride and pretty impressive times for NA. Original clutch or aftermarket? Tune? If you still have the factory clutch & flywheel I would get an SFI approved aftermarket one. I've seen clutch explosions and the results. The aluminum bell housing on the MT82 dosen't have a chance of containing a clutch/flywheel explosion. It may not be necessary, but if it were me I would have the axle tubes welded and give serious thought to aftermarket axles. With the "C" clip design used on the 8.8 rear end if you were to break an axle it could get ugly.

Thankyou!

yes it is still the stock clutch. the drivetrain is really the next thing on my list to upgrade. The tune is from VMP. It made 421whp on the dyno just a few months back. Ive seen a few clutch explosions in my line of work and youre 100% correct; They don't end well.

I'm intending to heat the rear end and welding the axle tubes the next time I have the car in our shop, just trying to find time with our racing schedule.

Has anyone on here actually had one of these axles break with a bias ply setup? not that it couldn't happen, because i've seen plenty that shouldnt have happened but did. just trying to get a feel for the week spots people have had.

It seems like 9/10 times you read about someone twisting an axle tube, breaking an axle, or breaking a driveshaft, they are on a radial with a manual.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018
PONY Member

The American muscle guys broke an axle a few years ago. I think it was their 4.6 vs 5.0 series. The 5.0 snapped the axle with N/A mods , I think maybe they were running a CJ intake. Too lazy to check, but yes snapped the axle. I'd get a C clip eliminator and scatter shield as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page