Clutch pedal push-back at high RPM - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Clutch pedal push-back at high RPM

My manual 2013 GT has a strange behavior when shifting at high RPM. I've seen a lot of posts where people have trouble with the clutch pedal not returning properly after a shift which is often solved with an aftermarket spring. My problem is almost the opposite. When doing a high-RPM shift (>5000), the clutch pedal gets really firm/hard and acts like it isn't going to go in all the way. In fact, I've noticed that if I hold the clutch in and rev the engine, the clutch pedal will actually push out against my foot. This has caused me to miss some shifts and is very annoying. I don't run it hard very often, but when I do, I want it to work. Is this normal behavior for the clutch pedal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
How many miles?

Not really normal, but not unheard of either. Im afraid you probably need a new clutch assembly to cure that issue. Just my 0.02

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018
Apprentice

There all kinds of bandaids being thrown around out there. The OEM/stock clutch pressure plate is the core problem to these clutch/trans shifting issues. They do all kinds of weird stuff when spun up and put under stress, even in everyday driving they are not working properly, just less noticeable. So many folks blame the transmission when the gearbox cannot work properly if the clutch is dragging and not disengaging as it should, when it should. All of the other drive line components will suffer as a result...

2011 GT, MT6, Brembo, 401a, 3.73, Heart Throb H mid, Borla axle back, Hurst, Barton 2post, Michelin Super Sports, CDC chin spoiler, drilled rotors, Redline DCTF. 2013 GT500 Rear rotors and adapters, EDC red stuff, Energy Suspension <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> insert,

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

2013 - Stock GT. 43K Miles. Just trying to wrap my head around what could even cause that type of behavior.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018
PONY Member

Definitely not the "normal" high RPM issue which I battled and won. I'm thinking either failing slave cyl or failing pressure plate on this one.

Either way, first thing I would try is the basics.. get good, solid hydraulic pressure first..

flush with DOT 4, replace cheapo plastic hydraulic line with stainless Steeda or McLeod stainless piece, and recheck.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018
Apprentice

....a rather junkie, third world sourced, pressure plate will do it.

2011 GT, MT6, Brembo, 401a, 3.73, Heart Throb H mid, Borla axle back, Hurst, Barton 2post, Michelin Super Sports, CDC chin spoiler, drilled rotors, Redline DCTF. 2013 GT500 Rear rotors and adapters, EDC red stuff, Energy Suspension <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> insert,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hard clutch pedal , hard shift , pedal push back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page