2014 GT back panel sand/re-paint? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Luke_Warmwater

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

2014 GT back panel sand/re-paint?

Hey guys, I have had this sun damage and peeling on my back panel for a while now and just wanted your opinion on how to repair it. Have any of you guys had this happen? Is it just going to be a sand and paint job? Anyone know an easy way to detach the back panel? Thanks!
-Nick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3106.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	606189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3110.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	606191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3111.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	606193  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018
PONY Member

Replace it. I haven't seen one "fixed" that came out good yet. Now is the time to change the look if you wanted with a different style (like the RTR smooth look), etc. Or just get an OEM one to maintain same look.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Gotcha. I see a few on AM that aren't too bad. Maybe ill try and fix it first just for shits and if it turns out crappy, i'll just purchase the MMD design one from AM.
Thanks for your input!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Getting my local body shop to paint mine matte black to match my rear spoiler and hood louvers. Priced out a new panel at Ford. $529.00 CDN and that was with a discount

2014 Mustang GT Premium- MT, Ruby Red, 3.73 Torsen, Brembo Brakes, Track Pack, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Rear Sensing System, Security Package, Rear Video Camera, Barton Short Throw Shifter and bracket, RedLine Tuning Hood Struts, Borla Touring axle back exhaust, Boss 302 shift knob, alcantara suede shift boot and e-brake boot, K&N air filter, etc.

1993 Corvette Convertible LT1

2018 BMW R1200GS
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
That's probably the way to go Luke, mine was plasti dipped flat black when I bought it - I carefully peeled it off to reveal the shiny black - beware that some of the aftermarket panels require you to cut/grind off the raised area of the trunk under the fake gas cap badge.

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC

Last edited by CDN5.0; 10-13-2018 at 05:03 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN5.0 View Post
That's probably the way to go Luke, mine was plasti dipped flat black when I bought it - I carefully peeled it off to reveal the shiny black - beware that some of the aftermarket panels require you to cut/grind off the raised area of the fake gas cap badge.

Scott
I believe it's the flat panel that requires the cutting of the raised sheet metal behind the faux gas cap

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018
PONY Member

Yeah, the flat panel ones, like RTR, require cutting. It's super easy to cut off though. I cut mine off. There are some flat panels that don't require cutting, but they look funny IMO. They don't have the slight curve like the rest of the rear of the car does, so there's gaps on each end.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja View Post
Yeah, the flat panel ones, like RTR, require cutting. It's super easy to cut off though. I cut mine off. There are some flat panels that don't require cutting, but they look funny IMO. They don't have the slight curve like the rest of the rear of the car does, so there's gaps on each end.

They must look horrible lol

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018
PONY Member

Garage
Mine is doing that too. I think I'll try pulling it off and vinyl wrapping it in carbon fiber look material.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbertrand View Post
Mine is doing that too. I think I'll try pulling it off and vinyl wrapping it in carbon fiber look material.
I removed mine. Be careful, there are two screws that need to be removed and then there are 12 plastic clips that need to be pried loose. The clips are part of the panel. Be careful and take your time or you will end up breaking the clips. I used a pry tool and a flat head screw driver with a really long shaft to push on the clips that were being stubborn. The faux gas cap has two metal retaining clips that need to be gently pried off. After that you need to use a pry tool to get under the faux gas cap and gently pry it up as well.

2014 Mustang GT Premium- MT, Ruby Red, 3.73 Torsen, Brembo Brakes, Track Pack, Comfort Package, Electronics Package, Rear Sensing System, Security Package, Rear Video Camera, Barton Short Throw Shifter and bracket, RedLine Tuning Hood Struts, Borla Touring axle back exhaust, Boss 302 shift knob, alcantara suede shift boot and e-brake boot, K&N air filter, etc.

2018 BMW R1200GS
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Warmwater View Post
I removed mine. Be careful, there are two screws that need to be removed and then there are 12 plastic clips that need to be pried loose. The clips are part of the panel. Be careful and take your time or you will end up breaking the clips. I used a pry tool and a flat head screw driver with a really long shaft to push on the clips that were being stubborn. The faux gas cap has two metal retaining clips that need to be gently pried off. After that you need to use a pry tool to get under the faux gas cap and gently pry it up as well.
Thanks for the tips, I was looking at it the other day and saw there were only two screws so figured there was some complementary attachment mechanism.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Got the car back from the paint shop today. Trunk panel painted Ford matte black to match the spoiler and hood louvers. Sorry about the pic being upside down. Can't seem to figure out why it does that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	606375  
my89foxbody likes this.

2018 BMW R1200GS
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Warmwater View Post
Got the car back from the paint shop today. Trunk panel painted Ford matte black to match the spoiler and hood louvers. Sorry about the pic being upside down. Can't seem to figure out why it does that.
That looks great..... must have to hold the phone upside down to get the pic right side up lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page