MGW Race spec - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2014 Warrior

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

MGW Race spec

I know this has already been discussed many times but i highly recommend the MGW race spec if you have the MT82 trans.

I was getting a lot of notchy shifting, lock out, and sometimes it would grind going into gear. Sometimes it would be so hard to put into gear it feels like im not pressing the clutch.

All these problems went away with the MGW. The only hiccup was this morning it was a little notchy when cold but as soon as it warmed up it was like a hot knife through butter.

I had the ford racing shifter but it was shifting like crap so i tried the race spec and its way better.

Now the bad news is the price. Coming from the foxbody world im not used to shifters being this expensive but its worth the price considering it made all my problems go away.

The install was a pita it took me about 3 or 4 hours. Also much different from the foxbody world. If you have good tools (flex head ratcheting wrenches, flex head ratchets, and a lift) your life will be much easier

nyuk98gt likes this.

2014 Mustang Warrior
2001 Mustang Cobra
1988 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014 Warrior View Post
I know this has already been discussed many times but i highly recommend the MGW race spec if you have the MT82 trans.

I was getting a lot of notchy shifting, lock out, and sometimes it would grind going into gear. Sometimes it would be so hard to put into gear it feels like im not pressing the clutch.

All these problems went away with the MGW. The only hiccup was this morning it was a little notchy when cold but as soon as it warmed up it was like a hot knife through butter.

I had the ford racing shifter but it was shifting like crap so i tried the race spec and its way better.

Now the bad news is the price. Coming from the foxbody world im not used to shifters being this expensive but its worth the price considering it made all my problems go away.

The install was a pita it took me about 3 or 4 hours. Also much different from the foxbody world. If you have good tools (flex head ratcheting wrenches, flex head ratchets, and a lift) your life will be much easier

I love my MGW Race Spec shifter! I got mine RIGHT before they released the x-spec where you could get a much shorter throw if you wanted to (literally, I ordered, it was halfway to my house, they unveiled the x-spec, damn box showed up at my door.)

Expensive? Hell yeah! Worth it? Hell yeah! Just make sure you set the reverse lockout pin JUST like they say to in the instructions! My stock shifter you had to "aim" for the next gear, with the race spec theres no guess work.. let the shifter do its job and youll never miss a gear

Whippled 2011 Mustang GT Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat * 2.9L Gen 3 Stage 3 Supercharger * 6MT * 3.73 * ARH Long Tubes and O/R H * SLP Loudmouth A/B * Lund Tuned * lowered 1.5in * MGW 1st gen Race-spec Shifter * Avant Garde M310s 20x9/20x10 with 265/35 Nitto 555s up front 315/35 INVOs in the back *

EXTREMELY fun daily driver!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019
PONY Member

Garage
Yep, it's expensive. But it is a damn fine piece of kit! The amount of enjoyment I feel driving my car now is ridiculous compared to how much I dreaded shifting.

As for the installation time...

...how did it take you that long to install it!?!?!? George, the owner of MGW, installed mine in 40 minutes, and he spent 50% of that time shooting the breeze with me!

LOL I'm kidding. He did my car on a lift at MGW and I'm pretty sure he could do the install in his sleep.

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
Yep, it's expensive. But it is a damn fine piece of kit! The amount of enjoyment I feel driving my car now is ridiculous compared to how much I dreaded shifting.

As for the installation time...

...how did it take you that long to install it!?!?!? George, the owner of MGW, installed mine in 40 minutes, and he spent 50% of that time shooting the breeze with me!

LOL I'm kidding. He did my car on a lift at MGW and I'm pretty sure he could do the install in his sleep.
I was watching the install video on my phone and going step by step being sure not to mess it up. And i had to keep reloading the video if my phone lost connection. And there was a bolt that a big pain in the ass the one you have to pull down on the drive shaft.

I was going really slow i never took off a transmission crossmember that part was kind of scary

2014 Mustang Warrior
2001 Mustang Cobra
1988 Mustang GT
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014 Warrior View Post
I was watching the install video on my phone and going step by step being sure not to mess it up. And i had to keep reloading the video if my phone lost connection. And there was a bolt that a big pain in the ass the one you have to pull down on the drive shaft.

I was going really slow i never took off a transmission crossmember that part was kind of scary
I'm sure it would take me as long as you did! I was actually kind of amazed at how little time it took George to install mine. Like I said though, he's installed a bunch of these!

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019
PONY Member

Change your fluid with Red Line DCTF and the cold notchiness will go away too!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page