Ford Mustang Forum banner

Overheating Issue

6K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Capricobra 
#1 ·
Hello all,

First off, thank you for providing any feedback or possible solutions. My problem is that my 2013 Mustang GT Paxton Supercharged car is running very hot. I’d say the first 10 minutes the Cyl. Head temps (according to gauge on menu) will stay around 210°-220°, then begins to rise to 225-332° never goes above that. Took it to a shop to get a aftermarket radiator put in, told me they couldn’t get one to fit. And they would find one that would, sooo 10 days later & $900 down the drain. They call me and tell me the radiator that was supposed to fit, no longer fits with my fan shroud(OEM). So there solution is for me to buy 2 electric slim fans....so that is what I did hoping this will solve this problem....NOPE! The fans come in & to no surprise they call and say it doesn’t fit. So what they did was put the stock radiator back in and installed the 2 electrics fan on. So now I am here in this position, btw the electric fans did help alittle but not enough to keep the temperatures low enough( I figured it wouldn’t be enough). So my question is what should my next step be? Has anyone had this problem before? I have the Paxton SL2200 Supercharged. Cooling setup from Front to Back is IC, Oil Cooler, Radiator. So I see why the radiator isn’t getting cold air due to it being farther back, what can I do? Also I have the stock 192 Thermo & Waterpump.
This picture was taken PRIOR to the installation of the 2 electric fans. Also blower filter was removed so you can get a better view.
This picture was taken PRIOR to the installation of the 2 electric fans. Also blower filter was removed so you can get a better view.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If just the heads are getting that hot, perhaps its time to look elsewhere other than the radiator and fan set up. Is there a clogged cooling passage somewhere? Is it both heads or is the menu a combined reading? Use a pyrometer or small contact thermo-probe and check the both heads from to back is a localized issue (one or more cylinders) or both heads uniformly?

remember any forced induction will raise the temps. Do you have a reading on the intake air temps? Where is the air intake engine compartment or isolated with a CIA or perhaps intercooler?

Is the temp issue causing other issues like lowered performance or drivability issues?

#3 ·
The 2 electric fans are brand new and still work properly. The radiator has been flushed inside and out, no clogs. Brushed the fins too. I am getting the temp. Reading via menu. I will show a picture. I can get a more accurate read if you would be able to direct me on where to point a temp gun. I am aware that forced induction does increase temperatures but I feel as if it shouldn’t be that high. Inlets temps in morning & night are 70-80° during day usually 100-115°. The filter is off to the right in the open space there with a heat shield. I do have a intercooler. I can take more pictures to show. Haven’t noticed any drivability or performance loss, but I do not want my engine running hot. Trying to keep it cool so I can increase the longevity.

Attachments

#4 ·
Do the high temps occur when you are moving, or stationary? If they happen when you are moving, then the extra fan won't make much difference if any, because there is usually plenty of airflow through the radiator when the car is moving, even with the fan off.

Take a look at Department of Boost web site for some guidelines on IAT's . . . your numbers don't sound bad to me, but that is the first place I would focus; I'm thinking you might need to improve the intercooler. Are those numbers under boost, or at idle?

#5 ·
Okay I will take a look at the guidelines & those temperatures are always like that. Moving & Stationary. It always eventually goes up 220-235°. I have seen a couple things about Radiator ducting. I may have to do that. I have thought maybe it isn’t cool enough since the intercooler and oil cooler are in front of it so there isn’t any “new” air or cold air coming in through it.

#6 ·
Did you upgrade your water pump when installing the SC. Some places (including DOB) suggest upgrading the water pump for higher flow. I don't know how effective it is, so I'm just throwing that out there for your consideration & investigation.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote
#7 ·
IMHO, I would call Paxton....they may have some real recommendations and solid advise on the engine temps...if that is what is to be expected and possible options that they believe might work.

Reactions: JBert
#8 ·
IMHO, I would call Paxton.....
good point, they probably know exactly what is going on and what to do, eliminate the guess-work

Reactions: Beechkid
#12 ·
did they confirm that those temps are actually too high? I am not sure what is normal but 220-235 doesn't seem super hot to me, I wouldn't be surprised if they get a lot hotter than that at high RPM

#13 ·
No they didn’t give me a direct answer after asking multiple times. Took it to a local trust worthy shoo & asked. They recommended a high flow water pump until I can find a better radiator. Owner there told me the temps are not bad except for anything over 230° I need to be careful. Won’t cause immediate damage unless the car goes into limp mode obviously. But over prolonged time of ~230° Will eventually cause wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.