• 1 Post By Travis98146
  • 3 Post By 07redstang
  • 1 Post By JBert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Wheel stud help *cross threaded

So i was being an idiot this weekend, as usual, and rotating my wheels. Now I've done this before so no problem right? Well the passenger wheels threaded on just fine no issue. The driver side however had 1 stud in the front and 2 in the back that are cross threaded. The only way I'm guessing they're cross threaded is because when i put them on by hand they get very tight within a turn. So my guess is they need to be replaced ASAP.

So what all do I need besides the stud? Do i need to buy more than 3 to replace the ones by the cross threaded stud? Also the front and rear studs are different correct?

Below are the studs I believe I need. I called my Ford dealer and they quoted me $15 dollars a stud. Figured I could find them for a bit cheaper but rock auto is WAYYYYY cheaper.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...446394&jsn=434
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...446394&jsn=435

Has anyone used these as well?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
If the price is reasonable, I'd buy a set for front and rear. You could keep the good ones for spares (just in case).

huberoy123 likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Or you could get a thread chaser to clean up the studs and just replace the lugnuts. You would have to pull off your brake calipers and rotors to hammer out the studs, plus installing the studs you should use an air hammer with a flat blunt end to make sure it seats all the way in. Just my 2 cents

https://drillsandcutters.com/1-2-20-...4aAjm4EALw_wcB

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
MACH I Member

Garage
Cross thread once, it'll happen again, under your current setup. Go to Summit Racing and get some ARP -100-7723 wheel studs, 5 studs per pack. Also change out your lug nuts, maybe go with some Dorman 1/2-20, get 10 per box. Cheap products influence cross threading. Also, a Wheel Stud Installer, from Summit Racing, makes installing studs sooooo easy. Be sure to use Anti-Seize. Thread Chaser/Cutter is a good idea too, if you take off and put on wheels a lot.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

I doubt they are cross threaded if they came off easily. If they were cross threaded its a bear to get the lugnut off and usually ends up being a broken stud. Put some penetrating oil on them and clean the threads.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
I doubt they are cross threaded . . . .
yeah I was a little surprised to hear about cross-threaded studs because I think you'd really have to work hard to do that . . . with normal care, threading by hand until they are well started, cross-threading should not be an issue . . . PIKAPP is racing, and changing wheels in a crazy hurry, so that is a different story, LOL

I agree with redstang, try giving the studs and nuts a good cleaning and maybe you will find that they aren't actually cross threaded
crjackson2134 likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
If you started by hand, Iíll be astounded if they actually are cross threaded. Especially as many of them as you mentioned. Remove them, wire brush the studs, inspect and clean the lug nuts as needed, and try again. It can happen for sure, but usually it only happens when using an impact wrench carelessly.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page