2013 Mustang GT periodically will not start. - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By kenv
  • 1 Post By 07redstang
  • 1 Post By crjackson2134
  • 1 Post By 07redstang
  • 1 Post By Verty13
  • 1 Post By Verty13
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Verty13's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 8
 
2013 Mustang GT periodically will not start.

Hello all again! (Just did my introduction post)

I am the brand new owner of a 2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible. I am experiencing an issue that I find extremely annoying and one that could potentially leave me stranded.

This issue has occurred twice since I purchased the car on Wednesday, 2 days ago. Once last night, and once this afternoon.

ISSUE: The car refuses to start (no starter engagement, turn key- nothing) for many attempts. I have clutch fully depressed, car in gear, e-brake engaged. This is how I would expect it to start every time. It has had two episodes where I'm sitting in a parking lot for 15 minutes trying to start the vehicle, and making sure what I'm doing is correct.

Annoying.

Went on Google today to see if there was something I needed to do, and the tips were to move the steering wheel, or.. press the gas pedal, or.. move the tilt of the wheel. I tried all of these repeatedly and the car would not start.

-Battery is at 12.1 volts (I think 12.4 is normal? So could be low voltage?)

-Turning key to the ignition position will turn on all electrical systems (Dash, A/C, Radio)

-Something to do with the key or clutch pedal sensor?


Right as I'm about to escape the heat again from many attempts in the office parking lot.. It starts.


Thanks for any help! -Mike

Verty13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
kenv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Levittown
Posts: 13,074
                     
Sounds like a bad/misaligned neutral safety switch.

5.0 Coyote likes this.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
kenv is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019
PONY Member
 
07redstang's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Location: Poteau
Posts: 273
 
Jumper the clutch safety switch and see if that fixes it. The battery needs to be at 12.6/7 volts. Your battery is 50% discharged.
crjackson2134 likes this.

07redstang is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019
Rookie
 
Canson88's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
 
I had a similar problem as you buddy, and for me it just did click click click when I tried to start the car. Even after charging the battery up , didn't help.
Car had service in may this year and they also tested the condition of the battery and it passed the test. So I don't think my battery is bad.

When ignition was on position my headlights were not bright and I couldn't light my fog lights, and also when I larmed my car and it did sound low and tiny. Not very clear and cloud as it do usually.

But I came up to the conclusion that I only finger tight the bolt for minuse pole on the battery after I disconnected it before winter storage in garage.

So I removed minuse and plus pole from battery and cleaned the connection and then bolt them back again and tight both of them very good.

Car just started right away and no more problems after that.

So I don't don't know if that was the issue or something else.
So check your poles and make sure they are tight bolted on the battery.

Skickat från min BLA-L29 via Tapatalk
Canson88 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Verty13's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canson88 View Post
I had a similar problem as you buddy, and for me it just did click click click when I tried to start the car. Even after charging the battery up , didn't help.
Car had service in may this year and they also tested the condition of the battery and it passed the test. So I don't think my battery is bad.

When ignition was on position my headlights were not bright and I couldn't light my fog lights, and also when I larmed my car and it did sound low and tiny. Not very clear and cloud as it do usually.

But I came up to the conclusion that I only finger tight the bolt for minuse pole on the battery after I disconnected it before winter storage in garage.

So I removed minuse and plus pole from battery and cleaned the connection and then bolt them back again and tight both of them very good.

Car just started right away and no more problems after that.

So I don't don't know if that was the issue or something else.
So check your poles and make sure they are tight bolted on the battery.

Skickat från min BLA-L29 via Tapatalk

Thanks for the input!
Verty13 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
TheBert's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Location: Laytonsville
Posts: 66
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verty13 View Post
Hello all again! (Just did my introduction post)

I am the brand new owner of a 2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible. I am experiencing an issue that I find extremely annoying and one that could potentially leave me stranded.

This issue has occurred twice since I purchased the car on Wednesday, 2 days ago. Once last night, and once this afternoon.

ISSUE: The car refuses to start (no starter engagement, turn key- nothing) for many attempts. I have clutch fully depressed, car in gear, e-brake engaged. This is how I would expect it to start every time. It has had two episodes where I'm sitting in a parking lot for 15 minutes trying to start the vehicle, and making sure what I'm doing is correct.

Annoying.

Went on Google today to see if there was something I needed to do, and the tips were to move the steering wheel, or.. press the gas pedal, or.. move the tilt of the wheel. I tried all of these repeatedly and the car would not start.

-Battery is at 12.1 volts (I think 12.4 is normal? So could be low voltage?)

-Turning key to the ignition position will turn on all electrical systems (Dash, A/C, Radio)

-Something to do with the key or clutch pedal sensor?


Right as I'm about to escape the heat again from many attempts in the office parking lot.. It starts.


Thanks for any help! -Mike
I have a 2013 GT Convertible. I have owned it for 2 years. Over this past winter I did not drive it much, I did leave the dash cam plugged into a outlet and a cell phone charger plugged into the other outlet. It drained the battery. I pulled out the battery and "reconditioned" it with the battery charger/reconditioner that I had just bought. It charged it up to about 13.4 volts, which is a full charged battery's voltage. After that it starts up on the first turn of the key every time.

These cars are, as I found out, extremely sensitive to voltages on numerous components.

I would charge the battery and then see what happens. I charged mine out of the car, all I needed was a 7mm socket to remove the terminals and the hold down.
TheBert is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
crjackson2134's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,129
 
Garage
.
I too suspect you may have a clutch safety switch issue. As @07redstang said, bypass the switch to test, and yes... Your battery voltage is low. Give it a full recharge and re-test
.
Radical540 likes this.


2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
crjackson2134 is online now  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019
PONY Member
 
07redstang's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Location: Poteau
Posts: 273
 
I'll add make sure the transmission is not in gear when you try to start it.
crjackson2134 likes this.

07redstang is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Verty13's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBert View Post
I have a 2013 GT Convertible. I have owned it for 2 years. Over this past winter I did not drive it much, I did leave the dash cam plugged into a outlet and a cell phone charger plugged into the other outlet. It drained the battery. I pulled out the battery and "reconditioned" it with the battery charger/reconditioner that I had just bought. It charged it up to about 13.4 volts, which is a full charged battery's voltage. After that it starts up on the first turn of the key every time.

These cars are, as I found out, extremely sensitive to voltages on numerous components.

I would charge the battery and then see what happens. I charged mine out of the car, all I needed was a 7mm socket to remove the terminals and the hold down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
.
I too suspect you may have a clutch safety switch issue. As @07redstang said, bypass the switch to test, and yes... Your battery voltage is low. Give it a full recharge and re-test
.
Thanks for the input! I do not have a charger, so I can either have the auto parts store charge it for me, buy a charger.. or most likely just buy a good new battery and get a charger from amazon. I went for a joyride last night and experienced this for about 10-15 minutes again. Got it started eventually right before giving up again (started after 3rd attempt with HALO jumpbox) and proceeded to go on the best 3 hour ride of my life... even ended it at Waffle House at 1am. Absolutely love this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
I'll add make sure the transmission is not in gear when you try to start it.
My driveway has a decent incline.. about 15-20%, which I face uphill. Do you still recommend starting in neutral? ..I guess I will be on the brake pedal at that point anyway so it doesn't matter.. OK.

I'll google how to jumper the clutch safety switch..

Thanks for the help all!
5.0 Coyote likes this.
Verty13 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Verty13's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 8
 
Just wanted to update the thread:

Purchased new battery last Saturday and since then I have had zero issues with getting the car to start. Spent my time dremel'ing the terminals and grounds. Needed to be done anyway, so all is good.

Also just finished the install of the MBRP Pro Axelback cans... so much better!
5.0 Coyote likes this.
Verty13 is offline  
Apprentice
 
Radical540's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Livonia
Posts: 85
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
.
I too suspect you may have a clutch safety switch issue. As @07redstang said, bypass the switch to test, and yes... Your battery voltage is low. Give it a full recharge and re-test
.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Radical540 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1