2013 GT Clicking from interior fuse box - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JBert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

2013 GT Clicking from interior fuse box

Hello, I have a 2013 GT that won't start. I tested my battery with my ancient voltmeter and it shows a little over 12. The confusing part is there's a rapid clicking noise coming from the interior fuse box while the key is out of the ignition. Putting the key in does nothing in any position. The only way to stop the clicking is to remove the black connector with the white lever (see picture) or disconnecting the battery. This is different than most battery issues I've dealt with before. Before I go spend $$$ on a new battery, I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what else to check. Thank you.

I should clarify that putting the key in the ignition this morning seems to have started this issue. Also, nothing comes on (lights, radio etc.) when the key is in and in any position. I should also note that this is the factory battery and the car was sitting for about 4 days. This really leans towards the battery being dead but I'm not so sure that's the case based off what I'm experiencing. I'm really trying to avoid going back and forth to the store with a battery strapped to my luggage rack on my motorcycle.

EDIT: I don't think I had enough caffeine when I tried this earlier. My analog multimeter skips between 10 and 20v and I must have read it wrong. I went back, tested my motorcycle battery and it was at least a couple volts higher then the car battery so I'm assuming it's just the battery. I'm still a little confused why I get the clicking noise when the key is out. Now I'm scarred something else may be wrong.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_090134.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	555.4 KB
ID:	610859  

Last edited by hybodus; 07-30-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

yeah, I'm a little confused by the clicking too . . . but I think the issue is a weak battery . . . I don't remember the exact number, but fully charged battery should be 13V+, if it is only 12 then it is actually weak (seems strange since it is called a 12 volt batter, yeah I know)

If you have a charger, try putting it on the charger for a while and see if that cures it, temporarily. If the batter is old and weak it won't hold a charge for long, but might hold it long enough for a test.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

I don't have a charger but I think Auto Zone charges batteries for free. The clicking just doesn't make sense with the key out.... I've never had anything like that happen before. I'll try to get it charged tonight and see what happens.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Update: It was just the battery. They charged the battery and stated it was dead and wouldn't hold the charge. However, it had just enough to start the car and the clicking noise from the fuse box went away. Still wondering why it did that without the key in.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybodus View Post
. . . . Still wondering why it did that without the key in.
yeah that is strange, I guess I'd just chalk it up to "weird sh*t that happens when battery is weak"
crjackson2134 likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page