Brembo brakes - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ONEZ ST

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Brembo brakes

Ok it getting down to do the brakes for my 14 mustang GT. I have the brembo brake package. Where does everyone go to get their pads and rotors?

"To find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium- Black (Comfort Package, Reverse Sensing & Security Package, Brembo Package)
-1997 Lincoln Town Car (Executive Series)
-1989 Lincoln Towncar (Signature Series)
-1973 Volkswagen Bus (Weekender)
-2001 Kawasaki Vulcan (1500 Classic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I guess it depends on what you want to replace your hardware with. I would look at carid.com. It has a wide selection.

5.0 Coyote likes this.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I'd stick with OEM-equivalent rotors. I believe Centric makes the OEM ones; also Raybestos and some others make some nice rotors. I think it is worth a few extra dollars to get the nice "premium" coated ones, over the basic uncoated ones. There really isn't any reason to go with drilled or slotted rotors, unless you think they look cool.

Tire Rack and Rock Auto are two on-line sources for rotors and pads. Rock auto has real good selection and pricing, but beware they have a strict 30-day return policy, meaning no returns for any reason after 30 days. If you install them right away there is no issue; but if you let parts sit on the shelf for a while (like I do sometimes) you can get trapped by this.

There are lots of different pads available; to narrow it down you need to decide if performance is top priority, or dust / lack of dust, or noise . . . . track oriented pads tend to be very dusty and can be noisy, like the original Brembo pads.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I was going to replace the front pads (rotors seem ok) with Brembo pads. To keep it the way it is

-2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium- Black (Comfort Package, Reverse Sensing & Security Package, Brembo Package)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

^ that should work fine . . . but if you are sick of the dust, you could consider some other pads, I think "ceramic" pads are low dust . . . if I remember correctly, my original brembo pads were quite dusty . . . not as bad as a true track pad, but close

Not sure where you can buy them; I'd check Tire Rack and Rock Auto first

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Gotcha, thanks for the advice!

I still have a little meat on the pads, but do people usually replace the rotors too? Even if the pads aren't too worn down?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I did this about a year ago. Dont laugh... I got the Autozone Gold pads (lifetime replacement) and their OEM (Brembo) replacement rotors. They are performing for very well for daily driving, and have much lower dust. I have no complaints, and no noticeable decrease in performance.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019
Apprentice

...R1concepts is very good stuff. I have various forms of their products on at least four of our vehicles. Their carbon GEOMET rotors are the best I've owned. Just a thought...

2011 GT, MT6, Brembo, 401a, 3.73, Heart Throb H mid, Borla axle back, Hurst, Barton 2post, Michelin Super Sports, CDC chin spoiler, drilled rotors, Redline DCTF. 2013 GT500 Rear rotors and adapters, EDC red stuff, Energy Suspension <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> insert,
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschpow View Post
. . . do people usually replace the rotors too? Even if the pads aren't too worn down?
most shops will recommend that you always replace the rotors along with the pads, but I think that is mostly to drive up their bills . . . from my experience there are two reasons to replace the rotors:

1) the rotors are warped, or wearing unevenly -- this is pretty unusual, and you would notice it as pulsing or pulling when you brake; or uneven color on the rotor surface

2) the rotors are worn enough that there is a significant "lip" around the edge of the rotor -- this makes it difficult to remove/change the pads (because they hang up on that edge) and it mostly applies to the non-brembo fronts and the normal rear brakes, since it is easy to get the Brembo pads out even with that lip on the edge. If you run your finger across the surface of the rotor and out off the edge you can feel this ridge that I am talking about; if it is more than about 1/32-1/16" then I would replace the rotors.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
MACH I Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
most shops will recommend that you always replace the rotors along with the pads, but I think that is mostly to drive up their bills . . . from my experience there are two reasons to replace the rotors:
Agree, no need to replace rotors unless they need replacing. If you change brake pad brands or compounds, be sure to clean the rotors good (a little sanding, palm sander, or use a very aggressive racing brake pad) to get old brake pad material off and then bed in the new brake pads, laying down new pad material on the rotors. Keep in mind, the better the brake pads and rotors, the better braking you'll have....don't skimp.
https://www.racetechnologies.com
https://www.brembo.com/en/car

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page