Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2011 - 2014 Mustang GT Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-gt-tech/)
-   -   Are ball joints on front LCA serviceable? (2011 GT) (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-gt-tech/1082053-ball-joints-front-lca-serviceable-2011-gt.html)

nickyoobatz 08-05-2019 10:47 AM

Are ball joints on front LCA serviceable? (2011 GT)

Got new tires installed on my car yesterday and the tire place said there was a bit of play on the drivers side ball joint. Trying to do some searching and it seems the answers are mixed. And a buddy I know that works at a dealer says the entire LCA has to be replaced.

Are ball joints able to be changed or do we just need a new LCA completely? And if the LCA has to be replaced, whats the best option as far as aftermarket goes? I know 2011 has the EPAS issue, and I don't feel like changing out the rack.

Appreciate any help.

JBert 08-05-2019 11:48 AM

Yes the ball joints can be replaced, and I have a brand new set of the premium "forgeline" ones I could sell you if you want (long story, see my thread on the topic if you are interested)

You can replace the entire A-Arm with the ball joints and bushings if you prefer. If you use the standard OEM ones, with the OEM bushings, there should be no issue with the EPAS shudder. I'm pretty sure you can also use the GT500 a-arms, which have slightly firmer bushings, with no EPAS shudder problem but I am not positive. The shudder issue happens if you replace the soft OEM bushings with hard aftermarket poly ones; which means you cannot use the Steeda or BMR a-arms that come with hard poly bushings.

nickyoobatz 08-05-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBert (Post 9241699)
Yes the ball joints can be replaced, and I have a brand new set of the premium "forgeline" ones I could sell you if you want (long story, see my thread on the topic if you are interested)

You can replace the entire A-Arm with the ball joints and bushings if you prefer. If you use the standard OEM ones, with the OEM bushings, there should be no issue with the EPAS shudder. I'm pretty sure you can also use the GT500 a-arms, which have slightly firmer bushings, with no EPAS shudder problem but I am not positive. The shudder issue happens if you replace the soft OEM bushings with hard aftermarket poly ones; which means you cannot use the Steeda or BMR a-arms that come with hard poly bushings.

Yeah I'm looking into the GT50 A-arm right now. It looks like they are the same part number as the regular GT? At least for the 2011 year, I'm unsure if any other years for GT500 are different/interchangeable.

rowekmr 09-08-2019 12:03 PM

I just got a 2012 GT that I am looking to replace LCA for new bushings and ball joints. What is EPAS shudder?

xartic 09-08-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowekmr (Post 9245023)
I just got a 2012 GT that I am looking to replace LCA for new bushings and ball joints. What is EPAS shudder?

Your EPAS is controlled by an algorithm that Ford made pretty aggressive on the 2011s and some 2012s that will try to compensate for the lack of a hydrobushing on your factory control arm.

I have this issue with BMRís adjustable LCA that have the small poly bushing and the EPAS does not like it when itís warm out. It makes your steering wheel and front tires shake pretty violently as it gets in a feedback loop and only goes away by slowing down signatory speeding up.

I bought them LCA cheap ($300 new) and had a run in with a curb due to another drivers negligence and it damaged my factory control arm.

I posted a picture showing the size difference of a factory vs the BMR I have now installed.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4f1a30cebe.jpg