2012 Mustang GT Hurst Shifter - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

2012 Mustang GT Hurst Shifter

Hello I just picked up a 2012 Mustang GT manual with Hurst Shifter. This is my newest Stang so don't have any experience with these up till now. When shifting into 1st I find it hard to differentiate between 3rd or Reverse. It is barely a gate between 1st and Reverse that I can tell. Is this by design, or needs adjustment or ???

Thanks

03 Ford Excursion Ltd 6.0L
00 Acura RL 3.5L
95 GTS 5.0L TFS stage II cam, roller rockers, heads, Track Heat intake, 30# inj, BBK full length headers, H pipe, Flowmasters, Stacker TB, 75 mm MAF, MSD coil/distributor, 4.10 gear (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019
PONY Member

Garage
I don't know if your Hurst has it, but most stock shifters have a reverse lockout of some kind. If you don't have one, then you'll have to be extra careful on your shifts as the lockout is supposed to keep you from mis-shifting into reverse.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019
Apprentice

Garage
The gate is very tight between 1st & 3rd; rest assured you'll eventually get a feel for it though.

Regarding accidentally going into reverse; the Hurst shifter unit has a spring pressure adjustment that alters the "tension" feeling going into reverse. Unless you're a complete goof-ball, there is no way you'll go into reverse from say rowing from 2nd to 3rd -or- 4th to 5th.

Or you could always just go for the ultimate shifter.........the coveted MGW!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019
Apprentice

Garage
I had a Hurst in my 2005 and you had to push down a little to get it into reverse if I recall. Not sure if they are different in newer models though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page