2012 GT - Removing Resonators - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MustangLife

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

2012 GT - Removing Resonators

Hi Folks: We just took delivery of a 2012 triple black GT vert. (Only 12K miles!) After driving some newer ones, we found the exhaust of the '12 to be quieter than we'd hoped. In 2 past cars, I have removed the resonators to make quite a change to the exhaust sound - louder and throatier. I am wondering if it will have the same effect on the '12 GT?

At this point we DON'T want to invest in a new catback system or other major exhaust/muffler replacement. IF the Forum thinks this will make a decent improvement we'll start with that. IF not, then I know there are tons of threads addressing good replacement options.

Thanks in advance for you help/advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

yes that is a common mod for the 2012 cars and other years of the Coyote S197 . . . lots of threads on here about that, hopefully you can find them with the "search" feature

I haven't done it myself, my car is a 2010, but I'm pretty sure this is a cut-and-weld thing because there are no clamps on the resonators.

Another easy modification that makes a big difference is "axle back" aka "muffler" -- that is an easy clamp and bolt installation that you can do yourself. If you watch your local Craig's List or e-bay you can probably find some options cheap, from other people who are playing around with different ones.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Jbert - Thanks for the help. When I searched, I found a lot on catbacks and other exhaust mods WITH resonator deletes, but not much on what it sounds like on it's own. Yes, it's a cut and weld, (which my son can do) and maybe new mufflers is the way to go in the end.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

This was the first thing I did when I picked up "Number" '12.
It did make a slight difference and not as much as I thought it would. I drove it that way a few months but it was just never enough. Then I put on the GT500 mufflers and that is when things got better. Quiet while driving like gramma but really wakes up when you get on it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member

No welding required with these. https://www.americanmuscle.com/borla...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Just don't do a muffler delete... Trust me you will thank me later... haha It is the worst drone I have ever experienced and I have done the muffler delete to a lot of years, but the 11+ 5.0 is a no go.
crjackson2134 likes this.

Current Mustang
2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page