Disconnecting Battery - Impact on Trac Key...? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Question Disconnecting Battery - Impact on Trac Key...?

Newb to the forum here, hello all.

Been involved in cars my entire life though, and have a 2013 Black Laguna Seca I bought new.

Question - is there any risk to the Trac Key tune if I disconnect the battery? Does anyone know for certain.

Appreciate any help.

LSboss638

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019
BOSS Member

Garage
Welcome to the Forum.

Why do you want to disconnect the battery, to replace it ?

The Trac Key tune should be burned into the PCM and disconnect should not be an issue.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019
Apprentice

Garage
My mechanic has this little power supply that plugs into to the power outlet (cigarette lighter) when he changes batteries in these newer cars. He said it is not always necessary but is a good thing to do.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Of course, I'll just plug the trickle charger into the lighter socket, then disconnect the battery.

Reason I'm considering this, the Laguna's came with Recaro racing seats. I came into a set of leather seats from the same year Mustang, I guess from a premium optioned GT car. My Laguna has only 3400 miles on it, I'm considering fitting the leather seats and maybe starting to use the car a little more. Because of the airbags, I want to power off the car before swapping the seats.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
[Deleted]

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBoss638 View Post
Of course, I'll just plug the trickle charger into the lighter socket, then disconnect the battery.

Reason I'm considering this, the Laguna's came with Recaro racing seats. I came into a set of leather seats from the same year Mustang, I guess from a premium optioned GT car. My Laguna has only 3400 miles on it, I'm considering fitting the leather seats and maybe starting to use the car a little more. Because of the airbags, I want to power off the car before swapping the seats.

Would love the Recaro seats ! I have never had a problem disconnecting my battery- yes good idea when taking the seats out - my car has a tune I have disconnected the battery several times without issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 gt premium m6 3.73 with lots of aftermarket bits

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019
PONY Member

I have a '14 GT with a track key and I recently disconnected the battery [ 5 year old original ] to clean the negative battery cable end. No effect on the track key or anything else except for resetting the clock and radio stations.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by replacement View Post
Would love the Recaro seats ! I have never had a problem disconnecting my battery- yes good idea when taking the seats out - my car has a tune I have disconnected the battery several times without issue

Thanks!

I'm not getting rid of the Recaro's. Like most of you, I'm a bit neurotic about my Mustang. When I needed new tires (due to age, not mileage), I bought a 2nd set of factory wheels to have the new tires mounted to, original wheels and tires in storage. If I do the leather seats, the Recaro's will be packed up and saved also, with all the track parts that came with the Laguna.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Thanks fellas. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'll post some before/after photos if I do the seat swap.
5.0 Coyote likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
One more question on this. If I disconnect the battery, will the readiness monitors get reset? Does anyone know?
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBoss638 View Post
One more question on this. If I disconnect the battery, will the readiness monitors get reset? Does anyone know?

I believe yes - not sure I think they go to like a pending status then after you drive they go fault or ready

I going to buy a scanner to lea n more on the topic

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
That's what I was concerned about. I drive the car so infrequently, getting the monitors to get to "Readiness" status is a royal PIA.

Not sure fellas what my next move is. I found a set of leather seats and was ready to close a deal on them, but then I recalled I had a tough time 5 years ago with the readiness monitors and don't want to go through that again. In NYS, there is an annual inspection, 1st year is safety only, thereafter they plug into the OBD port and at the time 5 years ago I had under 1k miles after 2 years of ownership and the monitors were in a "Not Ready" state. It took some time to find a drive cycle to get them to turn to readiness.
PONY Member

Going to have the battery out someday

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
You're right, good advice.

I bought a set of leather seats, came out of a California Special GT. Will post some photos when they arrive next week.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Seat to be delivered this week.

Anyone know how to remove the lighter/power socket in the console? The one in the back section under the console door next to the ipod connector panel? I have the little cover out that's behind the handbrake adjuster, and the ipod panel in the center is out and just being held loose by its wires, but can't fit my fingers in there to get that lighter socket out. I want to tap the 12v from the lighter socket for the new seats, which the driver's side is powered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page