• 1 Post By MarkV1124
  • 1 Post By AAAracing
  • 1 Post By Geoffh17
  • 1 Post By Geoffh17

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Headers

I am considering purchasing long tube headers with catted x or h pipe for my 2011 GT. I am considering either BBK or Kooks headers. I also so no name brand headers on e-bay for around $200 which are substantially less expensive than the name brands. The specs and materials seem similar to the name brands as well as the majority of reviews being positive. Does anyone here ever use them or know if they are any good? Your replies are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I’d probably go with Kooks. They’re proven fit and quality. You might get lucky with the white box headers, but I personally wouldn’t. Just my 2¢

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Rookie

you may get an ebay header that fits and works well or you may get them and have the car apart and see that they will never fit. I personally got mbrp headers along with the offroad h-pipe combo they offer and it comes in at about $1200 probably around 14 or 1500 for a catted mid pipe. the fit and finish is flawless they fit absolutely perfectly on my car and have been working very well. been on since last winter and they still look new under the hood. they are made out of t304 stainless like kooks or american racing and are a very nice peice

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you. Probably going to end up going with BBK lung tubes with BBK's catted X Pipe
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Rookie

I dont think bbk offers stainless headers so make sure your mindful of that before getting them. they will work but wont last as long once the ceramic coating wears off

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

From what I have read, Kooks are about the best for fitment and overall quality, but they ain't cheap. Your profile says you are in "Branford" but it doesn't say what state . . . if that is Branford, Connecticut then I believe you have emissions inspection and you need working catalytic converters to pass. The Kooks "Green Cats" are supposed to be some of the best, that give the best chance of passing in "Green States" like Connecticut.
crjackson2134 likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the heads up. I do live in Branford, CT and will check out the Kooks green cats
JBert likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rookie

Hey man the job of installing long tubes is no easy mission. I have a set of JBA's and they fit with no leaks.
After installing, if they leak at the head flange you are going to probably suffer depression ... unless you were luckily born with 3 rubber elbows.
JBert likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rookie

I purchased a set of stainless power (slightly cheaper version of stainless works, same company) 1 7/8” long tubes with a hi flow catted xpipe and it’s amazing, I was considering kooks myself but these ones were a little cheaper (still ran me 1500$ shipped) but it was worth it, the install wasn’t overly bad if you have access to a hoist. Myself and a mechanic did the job in about 7 hours total. All the shops around my city told me they wouldn’t do it because of the clearance issues and headaches of taking motor mounts off but there’s a few good vids on YouTube that showed some tricks...it was deff tight on the drivers side but after they got in place it was easy. One of the best purchases I’ve made yet for it, she screams with GT500 mufflers and no resonators!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffh17 View Post
I purchased a set of stainless power (slightly cheaper version of stainless works, same company) 1 7/8” long tubes with a hi flow catted xpipe and it’s amazing, I was considering kooks myself but these ones were a little cheaper (still ran me 1500$ shipped) but it was worth it, the install wasn’t overly bad if you have access to a hoist. Myself and a mechanic did the job in about 7 hours total. All the shops around my city told me they wouldn’t do it because of the clearance issues and headaches of taking motor mounts off but there’s a few good vids on YouTube that showed some tricks...it was deff tight on the drivers side but after they got in place it was easy. One of the best purchases I’ve made yet for it, she screams with GT500 mufflers and no resonators!
How did you deal with the rear O2 sensors? Just turn them off?

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)

Last edited by crjackson2134; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:04 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rookie

The kit came with an extension for it so it didn’t affect it in any way

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffh17 View Post
How did you deal with the rear O2 sensors? Just turn the off?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The catted X-pipe was included for $1,500 total? I think that is a LOT cheaper than Kooks?

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rookie

That’s the set I ordered there, Last year when I got them they were on sale for $1100 -1200 so I pulled the trigger, they’re made by stainless works just slightly cheaper than SW, even has the SW welds on them

https://www.americanmuscle.com/stain...ct-1114gt.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
The catted X-pipe was included for $1,500 total? I think that is a LOT cheaper than Kooks?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
MACH I Member

Garage
Don't forget about American Racing Headers, they're pretty good too.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Having had both bbk and now kooks, kooks is definitely superior. Install is definitely a pain if you do it yourself but it can be done. I would just have a shop do it though and save the headache. When i installed my kooks i compared them side by side with the bbk's and it's easy to see why the kooks are like twice the price. Fit and finish are second to none. Can't speak for other brands like ARH or SW but their headers are supposed to be really good too

Sent from a Chevy S10+

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page