• 1 Post By crjackson2134
  • 1 Post By MustangLife
  • 2 Post By Geoffh17
  • 2 Post By JBert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Will 5.0 S550 supercharger fit on 5.0 S197

Hey guys, a buddy I work with came across a full supercharger kit in a roll over stang at his uncles restore shop. I can get the whole kit for a steal of a price, maybe even the whole motor. I’m trying to find any info on if this can bolt up to my 5.0 or not. I can’t find much online about it but on every site it shows that they’re 11-14 or 15-18 only when trying to purchase anything forced induction. I asked a few buddies of mine who are mechanics at my ford dealership and they seem to think it should bolt up since the motors are damn near the same minus a few internal changes but they aren’t 100% sure. Does anyone out there have any experience on this situation or came across anything like this? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffh17 View Post
Hey guys, a buddy I work with came across a full supercharger kit in a roll over stang at his uncles restore shop. I can get the whole kit for a steal of a price, maybe even the whole motor. Iím trying to find any info on if this can bolt up to my 5.0 or not. I canít find much online about it but on every site it shows that theyíre 11-14 or 15-18 only when trying to purchase anything forced induction. I asked a few buddies of mine who are mechanics at my ford dealership and they seem to think it should bolt up since the motors are damn near the same minus a few internal changes but they arenít 100% sure. Does anyone out there have any experience on this situation or came across anything like this? Thanks.
I hate nobody has responded to you yet, but I am sure somebody will today. That or maybe nobody has done this before as like you said most kits are sold with the year specific range. I like you and the ford mechanics would think it would work as these motors are almost identical as far as I know, right? If nobody speaks with certainty hear I would go off what Ford says. Are you going to have them do the install? Another thought would be to call the manufacture of the supercharger you are looking at as they should know with certainty what there product will and will not work with.

Definitely following this thread please keep us posted! Like the question of are wheels and other parts compatible this will be a question I am sure that will be asked again and it will be good to reference this thread.

5.0 Coyote likes this.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah it’s been hard trying to find anything on this, I’ve read some intake hole clearance issues from trying to connect anything to the top of the engine of an S550 from the S197 but I only seen that, I haven’t find anything of a backwards compatibility issue going from 15 to 14 5.0. As for the install, I’d probably tackle it myself over the winter months. The dealer would charge me way too much to have a job like that done, plus with my warranty being already expired it wouldn’t make a difference. If it was under warranty still I’d have them do it for sure but I’ll save the cash haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
Quote:
Hey guys, a buddy I work with came across a full supercharger kit in a roll over stang at his uncles restore shop. I can get the whole kit for a steal of a price, maybe even the whole motor. I’m trying to find any info on if this can bolt up to my 5.0 or not. I can’t find much online about it but on every site it shows that they’re 11-14 or 15-18 only when trying to purchase anything forced induction. I asked a few buddies of mine who are mechanics at my ford dealership and they seem to think it should bolt up since the motors are damn near the same minus a few internal changes but they aren’t 100% sure. Does anyone out there have any experience on this situation or came across anything like this? Thanks.
I hate nobody has responded to you yet, but I am sure somebody will today. That or maybe nobody has done this before as like you said most kits are sold with the year specific range. I like you and the ford mechanics would think it would work as these motors are almost identical as far as I know, right? If nobody speaks with certainty hear I would go off what Ford says. Are you going to have them do the install? Another thought would be to call the manufacture of the supercharger you are looking at as they should know with certainty what there product will and will not work with.

Definitely following this thread please keep us posted! Like the question of are wheels and other parts compatible this will be a question I am sure that will be asked again and it will be good to reference this thread.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019
Apprentice

Garage
Call the manufacturer of the supercharger to be certain.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah I found out it’s a roush Whipple so I’ll contact them and see what they say about it all. I’ll post the response from them once I talk to them about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tido2k View Post
Call the manufacturer of the supercharger to be certain.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019
BOSS Member

IMHO, the whipple SC is a very good quality unit....but, fyi- but have a not so good reputation for tech support for the home mechanic.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Just another useless guess on my part but here it goes...

Since people are bolting on late-model (2015+) intake manifolds directly to the earlier Coyotes with out any serious issues, I would expect that the Intake/Compressor will bolt on with no insurmountable problems.

However, I do expect other problems to occur since installation kits are year specific. Ancillary components and connections will likely be in the wrong place or with improper alignment making the install complicated. This is just an UN-Educated guess on my part, but it is food for thought.

I hope you get an answer from the manufacturer and it's all good news. BTW... I had no idea that Roush-Whipple was a thing. I always thought Roush was Roush, and Whipple was Whipple. I guess I'm even more UN-Educated on this subject than I thought

Good Luck, and keep us posted...
5.0 Coyote likes this.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
@MustangLife

I see that you got a GT500 for your stable... I didn't see the post with all the pics and details...

Congrats... You have my envy

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019
Apprentice

Garage
Great and keep us posted
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah that was my thought too I, I figure there’ll be more to it than just strictly bolting up without having to purchase anything from roush directly for the installation, even getting the blower, throttle body, intake and intercooler for under 2k is worth it. Hell I paid near that for my long tubes and x pipe. And as for the branding yeah it’s a roushcharger tvs from what he now says, I’m still somewhat new to supercharger brands and forced induction, a lot of people I know always say Whipple or kenne bell style for a pulley style supercharger 🏻

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post

Since people are bolting on late-model (2015+) intake manifolds directly to the earlier Coyotes with out any serious issues, I would expect that the Intake/Compressor will bolt on with no insurmountable problems.

However, I do expect other problems to occur since installation kits are year specific. Ancillary components and connections will likely be in the wrong place or with improper alignment making the install complicated. This is just an UN-Educated guess on my part, but it is food for thought.

I hope you get an answer from the manufacturer and it's all good news. BTW... I had no idea that Roush-Whipple was a thing. I always thought Roush was Roush, and Whipple was Whipple. I guess I'm even more UN-Educated on this subject than I thought [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/AllFordMustangs-vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]

V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Yeah I found out itís a roush Whipple so Iíll contact them and see what they say about it all. Iíll post the response from them once I talk to them about it.
Roush and Whipple are two different brand superchargers. If Roush then that is great as they have awesome customer service or at least they did the other week when I was considering picking up a used Roush Jackhammer Mustang and I called to talk to them about the cars options since the dealer I was dealing with had no idea about it and was making stuff up as they went... ha I call Roush and they gave me more details than I asked for which was great.

Quote:

I hope you get an answer from the manufacturer and it's all good news. BTW... I had no idea that Roush-Whipple was a thing. I always thought Roush was Roush, and Whipple was Whipple. I guess I'm even more UN-Educated on this subject than I thought

Nope you are educated on the subject. Roush and Whipple are separate brands.

Quote:
@MustangLife

I see that you got a GT500 for your stable... I didn't see the post with all the pics and details...

Congrats... You have my envy
I did indeed add a 12 GT500 to the stable very different than my last 13 Boss 302. Two very different cars. Going to try and get up with the guy I sold my Boss 302 too and see if I can trade drives so I can see how they compare back to back.

Quote:
Yeah that was my thought too I, I figure thereíll be more to it than just strictly bolting up without having to purchase anything from roush directly for the installation, even getting the blower, throttle body, intake and intercooler for under 2k is worth it. Hell I paid near that for my long tubes and x pipe. And as for the branding yeah itís a roushcharger tvs from what he now says, Iím still somewhat new to supercharger brands and forced induction, a lot of people I know always say Whipple or kenne bell style for a pulley style supercharger 🏻
Yeah if it works out that doesn't sound like a bad deal. Update us once you hear from Roush. Do you have any pics of the setup so somebody can make sure it is truly everything you need?
crjackson2134 likes this.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

I’ll be sure to fill you in soon as I hear anything, I don’t have any pics of the setup yet. My buddy’s is flying back home tonight so he’ll send me everything on it when he sees it either tomorrow or Wednesday.
MustangLife and crjackson2134 like this.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Department of Boost has an active facebook page; they specialize in putting GT500 superchargers on other cars which is not exactly what you want to do, but they do know a lot about supercharger conversions and fitment so they might be able to give you some clues.

If it is in fact a Roush supercharger then I'd call Roush and ask them about it; they might help or they might not but it would only take a few minutes on the phone to find out.
5.0 Coyote and crjackson2134 like this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page