Why am I not hooking up? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

BTW, I really do appreciate the advice from everyone. Thank you.

2014 GT Coupe Base manual, 3:55
JLT CAI, Custom Tune, Eibach Sportline springs
Whiteline LCA & Panhard Bar
Staggered Firestone Indy 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

That's a good time for your R/T. My best is a 13.2, but remember I have a v6 . You should run around a 12.5-12.7 with a tune in your GT. Your not getting any traction. I know you know that, maybe someone will figure out your problem

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Speedknot, your R/T is heavier, but it also has a lot more car situated over the rear axle, so when you get on it, weight transfers hard to squash the rear tires and keep 'em planted. Your Mustang has a lot more power on tap, but also won't transfer the weight as readily, if you just try the "mash it and go" approach that your R/T loves. Instead, you'll just make smoke and go nowhere. With zero insult intended, I think this is mostly a case of learning to drive the car!

You'll often hear hardcore guys say this, and it's very true: Driving a slow car fast is more fun than driving a fast car slow.

But in this case, I think it's more of a case of you just figuring out how to feel the road, and knowing what your Mustang's going to do. It's more of a skill-based car, but the rewards will be great. =)

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknot View Post
BTW, I really do appreciate the advice from everyone. Thank you.

Did you buy your Mustang, new? Did you or the last owner change the rear end lube?

This is what happened to me.....I had my local Ford dealer change my rear gears to 3.73's. I was going to change the gear lube at 500 miles. Didn't have to but wanted to. I backed out onto my street and did a nice burnout before I changed the lube. I looked and it was just one tire burning, I called my dealer and asked to see if they messed something up. The gear guy told me he always puts two bottles (8 oz) of friction modifier when he installs new gears so they can break in better. I told him I'm changing the gear lube right now. He told me to use the right amount (4 oz) of friction modifier and I'll have both tires pulling again. I changed the gear lube but only put in 3 oz of the 4 oz bottle in and everything is working as it should. I saved the other oz just in case I had clutch chatter on curves, I didn't and never had to add the other oz.

Are you sure both tires are pulling? If not, that's why you don't have traction

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post

Did you buy your Mustang, new? Did you or the last owner change the rear end lube?

This is what happened to me.....I had my local Ford dealer change my rear gears to 3.73's. I was going to change the gear lube at 500 miles. Didn't have to but wanted to. I backed out onto my street and did a nice burnout before I changed the lube. I looked and it was just one tire burning, I called my dealer and asked to see if they messed something up. The gear guy told me he always puts two bottles (8 oz) of friction modifier when he installs new gears so they can break in better. I told him I'm changing the gear lube right now. He told me to use the right amount (4 oz) of friction modifier and I'll have both tires pulling again. I changed the gear lube but only put in 3 oz of the 4 oz bottle in and everything is working as it should. I saved the other oz just in case I had clutch chatter on curves, I didn't and never had to add the other oz.

Are you sure both tires are pulling? If not, that's why you don't have traction
I bought it used. The previous owner didn't do anything to the rear end. Both tires are definitely spinning.

2014 GT Coupe Base manual, 3:55
JLT CAI, Custom Tune, Eibach Sportline springs
Whiteline LCA & Panhard Bar
Staggered Firestone Indy 500
Rookie

Temps are everything. I live in philly and you arent gonna hook a GT on street tires from now to about april in the NE part of the country lol. I just got a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and car hooks great when its warm.
crjackson2134 likes this.

2013 Mustang GT Brembo Pack, Electronics Pack, Comfort Pack, Borla S Type Catback BMR LCAs Roush Chin Spoiler
PONY Member

Garage
I just installed my Steeda LCA relocation brackets this weekend and can report that they definitely made a big noticeable difference at first glance. My local track is closed for winter, so I can't give any time slips before and after yet, but I do drive my car spiritedly around. And there are a couple of areas that I consistently lost traction if I got too happy with the throttle. I can say for sure that the improvement has been significant. Beforehand my LCA's angled up to my rear axle after I lowered my car. I tried to get as close to parallel as possible, and ended up with the arms angled down to the rear axle by maybe a couple degrees. Seat of the pants feel is much improved and I feel confident flicking my car around corners without fear of the rear end stepping out. So check your LCA angle and install some relocation brackets if they are angled up to the axle, you won't regret it.
OX1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
^ that's a biggie . . . "summer only" tires are generally good from about 60 degrees up; below about 50 they get pretty hard and below 40 or so they turn to hockey pucks
I agree in general, but I was really surprised how well Mich PS4S tires worked, even down to 35.
I've got non DR NT05 (295's) on the back of my 14, and they suck in the cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page